Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

*UPDATED 5/14* - Sliver - from Alex Matheu (GlitchBreaks dev)

Comments

• @periurban said:

@Omnilimbo I hear your pain, but if we must have a curated garden rather than a free and open wilderness where nothing much grows, I'd rather the Ts were crossed and the eyes dotted. That big red recording bar scares me, so I'm with Apple on this one. The behaviour must be consistent from app to app. In fact, if there was a way to get all devs to use the same kind of interface protocol it would make my life as a music maker soooooo much easier. It's getting to the stage where I can't face learning yet another app.

+1

• Big red bar can definitely be annoying but I think the point here is that most every other AB enabled audio app does this even when it's not recording - it's just capable of having recording triggered[1]. See Loopy or NanoStudio or BM2 or...

This is just goofy. N00b reviewer perhaps?

[1] Not exactly sure if that's what distinguishes it but it seems like it.

• And it is processing for the Appstore, :D

• @distraub said:

And it is processing for the Appstore, :D

Weeee!

• Syrup gets the point. It is operating exactly the same as every other app that uses background audio, so it already IS conforming to the standard. the delay was simply unfounded. But here it comes now. Check the App Store in a few hours time and Sliver should be available. Yay!

• Excellent news at the tail end of the working day. Look forward to exploring this evening.

• Huzzah! Congrats at @distraub and team.

• Top app Alex just reviewed hope its a worldwide hit.

• Excellent! I've been waiting at the Audiobus stop for ages for this one :-)

• Well the wait is over, and well worth it...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sliver/id789010140?mt=8

Remember, $3.99 is a limited introductory price.

• Already bought!

• The most helpful thing you guys can do to support the dev is to RATE (and maybe review ;) ) Sliver on the App Store. Show Alex some love, guys. :)

• Nice job on the presets too @OmnilimbO

• I'll post it here too

• Great great stuff. Pasted a dry boring pluck-ish short audio thing into Sliver, and it's really easy to make things come alive and sound lush using the pan L/R for each sliver and just slap some automated movements on it all. Really fun.

• edited March 2014

Would love to hear what you're coming up with.

You can spend countless hours sampling straight into the built-in iPad mic even and get really stellar results. Sliver really does breathe life into even the simplest of sounds. Many times I've found myself just walking around recording my everyday sounds into it to see what we'd get. "oh, squeezing the last gurgling bit of chocolate syrup out of the bottle.... RECORD and MANGLE. Ahhh... now we're spelunking on Mars"
    Endless fun.

@thinds Thank you very much. I had a blast designing for this.

• Only played with it for 15min now...I would like to have a way to hear the sample before it's loaded ..maybe a play button on the preset browser?..also a reset to original button or snap to last position would be useful?....I was just all over the place ;-) and did stumble upon some good drones but lost it quickly when them blobs kept jumping around ...
    Time to read the manual !!!!!!

• Yeah, to quickly get going properly with Sliver, you really must read the manual. Some features are kind of hidden, and it is a very unique app. 15 minutes with the manual could likely save you hours of head scratching, and get the app functions clear in you mind. Then smooth sailing.

Note that the above soundtestroom video only scratches the surface, with some big features and functions totally unmentioned, so there is much to get from reading the manual.

There are many features, additions, and tweaks planned out for future updates, so things you are asking for are quite likely, such as undo, preview sound, reset to default, ... and much bigger things as well.

• edited March 2014

@OmnilimbO said:

An option to include the audio file inside the preset when exporting/emailing would be cool for preset sharing.

Really enjoying this one. Definitely a keeper that I'm gonna keep coming back to a lot. Few minor niggles with the saving presets menu/system though. Like the possibility to use "save" or "save as" if you just wanna overwrite a preset your working on. Also having the preset remember the sliver positions even though there's no automation on them. And lastly having the user presets separated from the factory presets=less scrolling every time:).

• @ChrisG said:

@OmnilimbO said:

An option to include the audio file inside the preset when exporting/emailing would be cool for preset sharing.

Really enjoying this one. Definitely a keeper that I'm gonna keep coming back to a lot. Few minor niggles with the saving presets menu/system though. Like the possibility to use "save" or "save as" if you just wanna overwrite a preset your working on. Also having the preset remember the sliver positions even though there's no automation on them. And lastly having the user presets separated from the factory presets=less scrolling every time:).

Right, currently you can share both separately, not linked into one file. This could be an option in a future update.

Save and Save As is planned for an update... and the menu system as a whole is already being looked at for a much more streamlined workflow.

• What are the current options for sharing the...."creations" users come up with?

• edited March 2014

@hwangman said:

What are the current options for sharing the...."creations" users come up with?

Currently...
    Presets can be shared via an email (from within Sliver), which can be opened and the attachment opened directly into Sliver on an iPad.

Sounds/Recordings/Re-sampled Recordings can be shared/exported via email, AudioCopy, and AudioShare. Note that if you export into AudioShare you can then use DropBox etc. from within AudioShare to expand your options.

Seems to cover all the bases I think.

• Do shared presets include both the automation and the sound sample? Can you record a Sliver session within the app?

• Just a first quick test with Sliver. Sounds from Sliver and a sliced up beat from Sector straight into Audioshare, with many lovely clippings and all :)

• Purchased.

• edited March 2014

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Do shared presets include both the automation and the sound sample? Can you record a Sliver session within the app?

Saving a preset saves all of the automation and it recalls the sample used at the time of saving, though it does not save the sample itself into the preset. So if you were to record or import your own sample, then created a preset that uses said sample, and want to share it, you would share the preset, and separately share the sample.

Because Sliver allows you to switch the base sample for any preset, and many presets use the same samples, it isn't practical to have the sample saved/duplicated with the presets themselves. However, perhaps this could be an option in the future.

As for recording, yes, you can record the audio generated from a session, the audio from the mic, or both at the same time. This gives users some very flexible creative tools.

@ChrisG Very nice!

• Sliver is the #1 music app in US App Store, and #159 overall. Not bad at all for an app with no ratings at all. Help push Alex's new app to #1 overall... please RATE it if you have it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sliver/id789010140?mt=8

• edited March 2014

What's the default positional setting for each pad? Is it right in the middle?

I was playing around with this at lunchtime, and came up with an intoxicating Sliver soundscape from just a sample of 3 notes in Animoog accompanied by some automation. I then played over the top of Sliver with another sound in Animoog, and made a pretty cool ambient improvisation! Think I'll try to record something in Cubasis at the weekend, as Sliver is definitely helping me go outside my musical comfort zone.

• I would like someone to post a soundscape that has been created that is played on the keyboard chromatically so that I can see how it sounds. I'm looking for something that allows me to do Alchemy-like pads that I can actually play and sequence with my music. Can this be done? Can someone please post an example?

Thanks!