Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis Update

124»

Comments

• @mgmg4871

Well I was in rant mode at the time. The good news is that it's only the really great apps that raise my ire in that manner, with most apps I'm in 'couldn't give a damn' mode! ;)

• Back to the subject of workflow and workarounds. With the high CPU load of Auria, I find sending those tracks to Cubasis is another workaround. Cubasis seems to be much more CPU friendly. With the implementation of freeze tracks coming to Cubasis, it will be even more CPU friendly. Meteor already has freeze effects, but that doesn't help with recorded tracks from other apps, only internal tracks using Meteor effects.

• What if you record into Meteor and add an effect with the setting completely dry? You should be able to freeze that.

• Yes. That works. The quality of their effects is not as good as Auria.

• @mgmg4871

Auria's higher CPU load is workable when it's not being used as part of an Audiobus workflow. I feel like a scratched record on this point but there was a very good reason the Auria team made the default buffer size for working in Auria 4096 sample frames - it's the only way that Auria can provide all those pro studio quality effects on an IOS device (and with a reasonably high track count). When you try and force Auria to perform the same way at 512 or 256 Sample frames it falls over at very low track counts.

IMHO the only app at the moment that offers a reasonable recording workflow when working via Audiobus with sequenced IOS sound generators is Cubasis. But when it comes to mixing a song the only app up to the task is Auria; and it can achieve this vastly better performance without any of the fancy IAP offerings from Fabfilter & PSP (which all increase processor load anyway). Auria wins for mixing workflows for many reasons but mainly for it's vastly superior automation options and the quality of it's standard effects portfolio.

I'm happy that there's both an App optimised for recording and an App optimised for mixing as to try and do both on current IOS platforms with a single App will end up being too much of a compromise on either count.

If only Cubasis would up it's game on the sequencing front and offer automation of both audio & midi CC's (neither of which require a significant CPU hit) the quality of results would be that much higher again.

Beatmaker's Audiobus launch is just around the corner and I think it will offer another dimension to our options and one that none of the other competitors offer - it will be the most sophisticated iPhone sequencing/recording option available via Audiobus. Not forgetting that it's the finest drum sampler/sequencer on IOS full stop. I don't think it will be able to compete with the Cubasis/Auria combo on iPads (outside of it's fantastic drum sampling/sequencing options) but for those on a limited budget looking for a solution that works across both their iPhone & iPad, it could be a real winner.

• Yes. I'm hoping Cubasis does up its game. I don't think they have a chose with Beatmaker approaching with AB support. Competition only benefits the consumers. It's a good time for musicians, and I can't say enough that AB played a great role in this.

• @mgmg4871

It's shockingly amazing the effect the AB team have had on the audio app market. Huge respect from over here!

• I feel the need to point out that people's workflow and feature requirements differ, and that any one of these DAWs provides tools that are vastly superior to those that were used to record 90% of the world's most enduring and best loved music. What we have been given, gentlemen, is choice, flexibility and freedom, all at a price so small it beggars belief.

• @Sebastion "Guys, every developer on iOS currently agrees that MIDI sync is really crap. I've basically talked with every single one. They all agreed 100%. We're working on it."

That's the best news I have heard in a while. Can you elaborate?

• I'd guess that the approach would be to have an Audiobus sync pipeline/protocol and cut out the MIDI sync issues altogether. Seeing as how Audiobus support requires changes to the apps anyway...

• I can't be more specific right now, sorry.

• Guys, in Cubasis, try zipping the project and send it to Dropbox.
    Unzip it and extract the loops and put them in Ableton or whatever. It's THAT simple.

• Also, works for Loopy. Open iTunes, and through file sharing, drag the MyAwesomeProject.loopysession onto your desktop, and do the same thing. With the new update, the loops are nice and tidy too.

PS: Hold CTRL / CMD while dragging them into Ableton to spread them to separate tracks ;)

• edited February 2013

No need for iTunes to get the files you recorded in cubasis just double tap the loop and
    In the wave editor you have "save to media" and that's it.

• I have use midi Clock sync in Meteor for record my TB-303...there is a video on my youtube:
    And it Work really good...audio quality it's cool and have good IAP effect...
    But I Work in Auria. & I can use other app without FabFilter & other Auria effects & option of editing.

• heads up Audiobussers, there's a major flaw in the most recent version of Cubasis. it's happened to me twice already – be wary of hitting the undo button if you have not saved your recorded audio to the Media Bay. it wipes out some of your tracks and they can't be restored. had a nice groove going tonight and it just killed it for me. Steinberg said they're on it, so it should be fixed in the next update. sucks nonetheless.

• @Sinapsya I notice you're testing an Audiobus compatible iPulsaret. Which slots will it work in?

• does anybody else having huge latency issues when playing and recording ipolysix through/in cubasis?Doesn't matter which buffer i set.Everything else works just fine.I switched off anything else in the background (plus wifi)and i have an ipad 4.So,it shouldn't be a problem.

• edited February 2013

for PaulB //
    For now only input.....but I hope effect too

• That would be nice.

• I'm finding that neither Auria nor Cubasis like my iPad2 at all. Harmonicdog's Multitrack DAW is much more friendly to my older device, but its interface with Audiobus is awkward in that it seems to insist on creating a new song file every time I connect the DAW to Audiobus. It's functional, and it works way better than either Auria or Cubasis on my iPad2, but it's not ideal. Guess I need to upgrade the iPad next.

• So...no Cubasis update then? ;)

• An 11 month threadsurrection.

• Hello,
    Sorry for resurection, but I just can't find anything about my more or less related problem...

I just bought Cubasis, and really, no external midi controller allowed = useless to me.
    I think I'm going to ask a refund, because this is just a shame...(OMHO)

So, anyone here could tell me about midi implementation of Meteor ? Can you jump thru the markers into a song thru an external midi controller ? Also can you mute/unmute, change volume for each track using external an midi device ?

This is crazy, all major companies are just erasing half of midi functionnalities used for the last 30 years on Ipad stuffs...

• External midi works great for me in Cubasis. Are you using core midi compliant gear and setting the routing/channelization correctly?