Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SampleWiz, Geo Synthesizer, and MorphWiz updated

Comments

• IanIan
    edited July 2013

Ryan @iosmars has posted a video of it. Its 11 minutes, 7 of which is him erm...discussing it and 4 minutes of extremely entertaining epic fail. Not safe for those who don't like bad language!

http://main.iosmars.com/2013/07/23/geo-synth-now-with-audiob-wtf/

@sonosaurus could you pass on (or is there a way we could directly) the problems. I've had a few, too, though not as many:-
    1) can't name presets: the keyboard seems inactivated
    2) Geo keeps going to sleep or falling off in Audiobus (it doesn't otherwise)
    3) the silly positions of load etc on the iphone

Outside of Audiobus it seems fine

• It turns out I am actually doing the fixes to Geo this time around, and I've already fixed the menu issues in iPhone5 and the preset text entry problem. We were about to submit the update, but I will look into the Audiobus specific issues.

Please feel free to more precisely describe the scenarios where you have issues with Geo in Audiobus.

• How has the stability been for everyone with Samplewiz? I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it yet, so I'm curious.

• IanIan
    edited July 2013

@Audiojunkie No problem but then it's outside of Audiobus.

@sonosaurus main problem is when swapping apps in Audiobus. If I get everything working its fine until I go into something else. Double tapping home and selecting an app is marginally better than using the audiobus sidebar. It doesn't do it all the time (and if you look at the last 4 mins of Ryan's video at least 1 episode of silence is because I think he's turned BM2 off and had the sound on Geo set to 0. It's the kind of thing you don't notice when you're cussing something out!)

Ps ipad3 iOS 6. Whatever the latest is. iPhone 5 as well

Edit: I've also noted that when I'm trying to record in cubasis using Geo as a controller although everything sounds fine nothing records. I have to say its ok if I'm just using it to record and control cubasis on its own

• @sonoaurus if I load Geo into Audiobus input and Loopy HD in the output I find that Loopy tracks
    Will no longer switch state until I switch apps with the Audiobus tab then they stay in the same
    State again so no starting,stoping or recording I'm using a Ipad 4 latest OS.

• I had success using Geo with Thor, SampleWiz, Alchemy, and Sunrizer with Audiobus. With Nave and Sampletank I get just random notes that play when using Geo to control. I haven't had many issues with the sleep attacks from Geo. I'm using a ipad 2. Of course I have the dead keyboard issue.

• Dead keyboard... "What, now my keyboard broke?" -Ryan (not an exact quote)

How tragic, but I LOL'ed

I'm glad to hear @sonosaurus got recruited to whip these apps into shape

• @sonosaurus Could you sneak some velocity sensing in there while you're at it?

• Multitouch: 1) Geo 1.0 had a bug that maybe 1% of the user base would have Geo permanently load when unpacking the initial bundle of persistent data. The workaround at the time was to just delete Geo from your device and re-download it. 2) I suspect that the other bug is something that sonosaurus had alerted me to when I was trying to add Audiobus to Geo many months ago before I quit and moved on: Geo never needed to run in the background before so it didn't background properly (at all actually), but it's a requirement now with audiobus because you have to hop around from app to app setting things up. The bug that Ryan made his video post is a lot like what I had simply lived with and worked around when I got the first version of Audiobus working. and 3) The preset naming bug.

But I am no longer working on any iOS apps; these bug fixes are in good hands with sonosaurus. I suspect that the real future of this app is not in an update; but in an app that has been rethought in light of how much the landscape changed since Pythagoras started (almost a year before Geo shipped, which was more than a year before the first Audiobus shipped).

• mgmg4871: random notes from Geo playing? you mean every 16th time you put your finger down on the glass (count them!)? be sure that if you are playing into a 1 midi channel synth, that the channel span is 1.

Geo can be set to hop across all MIDI channels while playing; which is not a bug, but the only way to do fretless polyphony correctly without ditching MIDI for OSC. (That's how a continuum works internally. Midi has to model everything as 16 piano controllers that each have 1 pitch wheel. But with Geo, every note down can be bent independently -- a pitch wheel per fingertip. As a result, all notes need to be on different channels. MIDI synths suck at handling this scenario, because they are only tested with piano-style controllers.)

• edited July 2013

The "channel span" for MIDI also threw me off for a quite some time...till finally I figured out the pattern that the notes were being played every 3rd time for me.
    On poking around the settings I saw that the MIDI channel span was 1-3 ( something like that , dont have it in front right now ) and then once I made it back to 1 , all the notes played as usual

• edited July 2013

@rrroobb & @thepinkelefant Thanks. I was at a total lost.

• Geo Synth and Morphwiz bugfix updates are now available in the store!

For Geo, this fixes the menu problems on iPhone5 and the preset text entry problem. I still haven't been able to reproduce any of the Audiobus sleepy-time issues, so any fixes there will be in a future update.

For Morphwiz this fixes the crash on iOS5, as well as restores any user presets you had from the old version, and lets you load new presets via email, etc.

• edited July 2013

Not yet in the UK.

EDIT: It's there now, thanks!

• Thank you!

• I have problems reloading my saved patches into Geosynth. Even after uploading them with iTunes, they don't appear in the preset list. Anyone else have this problem?

• Am I missing something with the MorphWiz update - don't seem to be able to delete custom presets and you can't overwrite existing ones with the same name - you just get a duplicate?

• edited August 2013

@nedmcgowan sorry to hear that, it'd be great could you send some more info about your issue to bugs(at)weareroli(dot)com - thanks!

• @sonosaurus Upps...not nice to hear it. The recorder function was unbeatable :( Any change to see it again on board?

• Anyone managed to successfully control Sampletank with Geo Synth ?

Works great with Thumbjam and Soundprism :(

• @sonosaurus I've seen reports that Geo Synthesizer is not working with Audiobus under iOS 7.0.3. Are you under an ongoing agreement to maintain Geo? If so, is this something you are likely to fix soon?

• edited November 2013

@DaveMagoo Geo drives Sampletank just fine under iOS 6.1.3 (I don't know about iOS 7) if you select Sampletank in Geo's MIDI Config page and turn on background audio in Sampletank. Make sure the notes you play in Geo are within the range of the Sampletank instrument though...

• edited November 2013

Geo does not work for me with 7.0.3 and AudioBus
    As soon as it's in the AB slot and I switch to it , it gives an error "there was a problem setting up AudioBus connection. AudioBus will be disabled"

I was hoping @sonosaurus will be fixing it

• Thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of that problem... I'll bring it up with Jordan and maybe see what I can do....

• Awesome , thanks for checking in Jesse. If needed I can provide screenshots

• I can confirm that Geo Synth does not work with Audiobus in any version of iOS 7, I get the exact same message when I launch it ("there was a problem setting up AudioBus connection. AudioBus will be disabled").

Midi works fine so I can still drive other synths with it, but it would be nice to get Audiobus working again.

BTW, I really love Geo Synth, it's one of my favourite apps, really playable and fun, so I hope it has a future.

• Thanks, I worked with the Geo Synth maintainers to help fix the issue, and an update will be submitted soon!

• Great work @sonosaurus!!! That's excellent (and fast) support!!! :-)

• edited November 2013

Nice. Thanks :)

This may just tip me over into upgrading to iOS 7 now that it seems that I may not lose any functionality I wish to keep.

• The update has been submitted and is waiting for review....