Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Reverb App (In Your Opinions!)

Hey everyone, I have Auria LE and AD480free and was wondering what you guys find to be your favourite reverb on iOS :)
I sing and play acoustic instruments (and samples) mostly so I'm looking for something that kinda fits that kinda style!

Comments

• If you have Auria, then the Timeless 2 plugin in Auria. It's brilliant.

• Altispace is #1 in my IPad.

• @rickwaugh said:
    If you have Auria, then the Timeless 2 plugin in Auria. It's brilliant.

Weird. I only ever use Timeless 2 for Delays. It is lovely.

• I just checked out Timeless 2, isn't it a delay plugin? :)

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Altispace is #1 in my IPad.

U can not go wrong at all with altispace. I used it in my 2nd video. Sounds amazing

• edited July 2015

Altispace and Virsyn's Audio Reverb have a nice wide range of varied reverbs, from the more lush ones that add a big stereo field feel to the tin can/metallic/almost glitchy, and also some subtle ambiences to pull a direct recorded instrument from right up in your ear to pleasantly spaced. I've found the EQ section of Altispace to be of great importance when your reverb is rattling too much or making a big muddy boom.

That said, AUFX: Space has given me plenty of great spacious reverbs too. It doesn't have the extensive presets in the aforementioned apps but the ones included are all great.

Brb, going to put all three in a row in the effects slot.

• @reverberator If I only had money to get only one for my acoustic recordings to sound natural and classy, which would you recommend? (i also can buy the Convolution Reverb plugin in Auria if that's even a contender?)

• edited July 2015

@necrome I haven't really used these reverbs for guitar recording (I would but my electric's innards are all exposed at the moment). How do you record, with a microphone or with a piezo pickup direct? And what kind of effect are you looking for? If you record with a piezo and want it to sound like a live recording, maybe a speaker & microphone sim is the way to go. You'll probably get the most use out of Altispace, though. It's capable of really subtle all the way to ridiculous. I like its EQ curve more than VirSyn's adjustment knobs, and you can do a visual envelope adjustment to one of the zillions of preloaded impulse responses to further tailor the sound.

edit: I don't have Auria so I can't comment on that plugin, but the apps I've mentioned all seem to be cheaper than the Auria IAPs. VirSyn, AUFX, and iMusicAlbum (makers of Altispace) all seem to have sales once in a while and are also pretty good about keeping their apps updated (AUFX being the most diligent).

• Altispace and Reverb FDN

• @necrome said:
    I just checked out Timeless 2, isn't it a delay plugin? :)

It's delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser. Anything to do with time based effects.

• @necrome said:
    reverberator If I only had money to get only one for my acoustic recordings to sound natural and classy, which would you recommend? (i also can buy the Convolution Reverb plugin in Auria if that's even a contender?

Definitely a contender.

• You can get by with Auria in build reverbs - they have convolution and classic reverb plugins.
    For outboard reverb Liquid Sonics Mobile Conv is very high quality.

• AUFX:Space for me. That and the dub version work perfectly.

• edited July 2015

The convolution reverb in Auria has got some pros and cons IMO:

Pros: it's a native effect so you can use several instances of it, and the settings will obviously be recalled. Also you can buy additional IRs for it, some of which are pretty good.

Cons: biggest drawback is that it has no EQ on it, and many of the IRs are quite bright sounding so I do find it's hard to control in a mix. Also can be a bit of a CPU hog.

You can use a third-party EQ via IAA, but since there is no state-saving it's not practical to use a third-party on an AUX send for instance. IAA effects really have to be mixed down to be usable, trying to use live IAA effects in an ongoing working mix is a recipe for problems IMO.

• @monzo said:
    AUFX:Space for me. That and the dub version work perfectly.

Fully agree, a wondrous warmth about it.

• I think my problem with reverbs (me, me, me) is that it seems like the bog-standard effect (slap in on!) and as a result I have never taken the time to really understand/learn how to use it effectively. The stand-alone Cnnvolution Reverb made me fully realize this, but despite its apparent variety I have struggled to get my ears round what's really good...Must. Do. Better.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think my problem with reverbs (me, me, me) is that it seems like the bog-standard effect (slap in on!) and as a result I have never taken the time to really understand/learn how to use it effectively. The stand-alone Cnnvolution Reverb made me fully realize this, but despite its apparent variety I have struggled to get my ears round what's really good...Must. Do. Better.

Ha, the Hancock School of Artistry, 'how do you mix your paints sir - in a bucket with a big stick'

• Are there any reverb apps that can be used in the effects slot of AudioBus, and also be able to "Save the State" for recall later?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I think my problem with reverbs (me, me, me) is that it seems like the bog-standard effect (slap in on!) and as a result I have never taken the time to really understand/learn how to use it effectively.

The essence of it isn't really complicated, you're really just adding a sense of space to your sounds. If instruments or vocals are recorded close to the microphone, much of the room ambiance isn't captured, making the recording sound dull. You add some reverb to give it a sense of having been played in a real space. Same applies for any sound that is recorded straight into a DAW, such as a soft synth.

After that it's just a case of trusting your ears and your taste. You might favour big or lush sounding reverbs, or subtle more restrained ones, depending on the aesthetic you are aiming for. But in the end it's an effect that is used pretty much on every recording, even very dry sounding ones, and it's more of a utilitarian effect than anything.

• edited July 2015

I wish, like some kind of spectrophotometer, one could walk into a room/space and 'record'/state save the exact ambiance. I have a cavernous bathroom in Austin where I swear I sound like the Mint Juleps when I sing and another room here in Maine which is large and completely empty where if I hum a little I can hear the ghost of Sam Cooke...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I wish, like some kind of spectrophotometer, one could walk into a room/space and 'record'/state save the exact ambiance.

That's the idea with convolution reverb, the IR files recreate a space that has been recorded with microphones. Not sure exactly what the process is for creating your own IR files from a real space, but Google probably has the answer.

• Google came up with this, seems achievable to me, you could treat it as a summer project, after you finish your Song of the Month entry of course.

http://www.creativefieldrecording.com/2014/03/19/the-quick-easy-way-to-create-impulse-responses/

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I wish, like some kind of spectrophotometer, one could walk into a room/space and 'record'/state save the exact ambiance. I have a cavernous bathroom in Austin where I swear I sound like the Mint Juleps when I sing and another room here in Maine which is large and completely empty where if I hum a little I can hear the ghost of Sam Cooke...

Altiverb (by many considered one of the best pro reverbs) have done this over many places throughout the world and recorded the exact ambiance, there's a video online somewhere it's pretty amazing how close it is to the places they record in

So you can load /import the data for a an exact specific place. You just need to send them a note to visit your bathroom :)

@bsantoro said:
    Are there any reverb apps that can be used in the effects slot of AudioBus, and also be able to "Save the State" for recall later?

Reverb Feedback Delay Network can do this, pretty sure it's got state saving. I do like FDN, probably my most used reverb.

• Thanks for the link, other very interesting articles there too, denoising etc.

• @Carnbot the convolution reverb in Ableton Live allows you import your own impulse responses I believe (haven't tried it)

• AltiSpace has AudioBus State Saving.

• AUFX: Space gets my vote, just because it is so easy to use, and has full MIDI control.

I also own "better" iOS reverbs but have not figured them out yet (AltiSpace and Mobile Convolution). Convolution reverbs and impulse responses are an amazing thing. They do seem to take more system resources.

• edited July 2015

Unless AltiSpace has seen some serious updating the past year, Mobile Convolution Reverb by LiquidSonics is the best convo reverb unit you can find on iOS, in every regard.

Algorithm based reverbs, AUFX:Space by Kymatica is probably the one I personally like the most, very versatile, and just plain sounds awesome. VirSyn's AudioReverb is definitely worth checking out as well. Klevgränd ROVerb is another reverb/delay unit with a slightly different approach to making your delays or reverbs, haven't really spent any quality time with it, but Klevgrands stuff usually sounds great as well so..

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

REAPER (PC/Mac) has a built in "convolver" which allows you to create impulse response files from real spaces if you have decent pairs of mics. I tend to use impulse files from acoustic spaces rather than impulses made from hardware reverbs. They sound very different and react to mixing differently to me.