Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Updating to the latest

My current iOS static music app collection is as follows: Garageband, Audiobus, MusicStudio, bs-16i & ThumbJam, comprising a bare minimum that I can use effectively for most of my needs. Now that I've looked into a couple of new apps (the Roland Sound Canvas in particular) I find that I can't DL them without upgrading to at least 8.0. I've been holding off updating because of the fair number of complaints on this forum about the updates screwing around with functionality. The question is: Can anyone flag any lingering issues with the latest update and any of these apps or their interaction?

Comments

• @Brain have updated to 8.4 on Air 1. Garageband, Audiobus and ThumbJam work without issue for me.

Maybe someone can chip in with the other apps as I don't own them.

Do you play live concerts where it is critical that nothing glitches or crashes on you?

• I held off for a long time, finally updating from iOS 7 to 8.3 at the end of May. By which time most of the issues had been worked out, the only remaining problem is the loss of iFunBox support beyond standard file sharing, but otherwise iOS 8 seems OK to me.

• I neglected to mention I'm on an iPhone 5.
    No, I have no current plans for live work. I don't need to update THAT bad if everything is fine right now (which it is)... but I probably don't need to get that far behind updating if the issues are negligible - and I can check out the new stuff.

• I'll also mention having AudioShare, but my needs haven't required using it to date, but it's one I don't want to ditch.

• I decided to update to 8.4 and BAM! Audiobus communication disabled in GB. How to fix? Or how to get back to 7.1.2?

• @Brain said:
    I decided to update to 8.4 and BAM! Audiobus communication disabled in GB. How to fix? Or how to get back to 7.1.2?

I don't think you can go back without jailbreaking, as Apple doesn't sign iOS7 anymore.

• ADDENDUM: Some thought prompted me to go to the GB page in the App Store where I discovered that there was an update for GB. OK, so why did I not get notice of this update in the usual fashion? At any rate, I can open GB in AB (not knowing what the exact issue is/was with them before) so I hope all this solves the reason for this thread.

• edited July 2015

Don't know if on ios 7 there was the fixed side bar issue with GB in AB, but in case you didn't know: when you are in GB and you can't control the AB side bar: just turn your iPad upside down (home button on the left). This is a well known issue, and some apps have it.