Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jamstik+

Hi there guys, any of you guys interested in this? As a guitar instructor it's really piqued my interest but it does seem like something that can go horribly wrong and I don't wanna spend $300 only to regret it within a day. What do you guys think?

http://jamstik.com/products/jamstik-preorder

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80789521/jamstik-the-smartguitar

Comments

• I think it's value as an instructor is pretty limited actually, but as a MIDI controller it might be interesting.

As to why it would make a poor instruction device, really it's much smaller than a real guitar and doesn't have real string tension, so it's going feel very different to playing an actual guitar. As a learning device it seems pretty limited, plus you have to load an app to do any practicing. I just can't see how this would be better than playing an acoustic or electric guitar, even if they do have Guitar-Hero style learning apps for it.

• I can't see any use for it whatsoever. It's only 5 frets. If you want a travel guitar, or a quiet guitar, there are way better options.

• I have both the older wifi model and now the newer JS+ and for me they are well used and I would recommend them with no hesitation.
    I use Mine with both my iPad and PC with Cubase and Kontakt and for me it is essential these days.
    I will agree they are not cheap and again I will agree with the usual comparisons with guitar etc and it's non ability to imitate what some guitarists expect from it.
    For me it's not a guitar but a midi controller that uses some aspects of guitar technique to be able to play. You will need to learn to play it as it behaves differently. It's awesome when you get going and if you do not play keys like me then it's a no brainier to access the amount of excellent synths available for iPad, not even mentioning what possibilities there are with the PC.
    The guys at Zivix are very open and willing to listen to your thoughts and impressions and I am not affiliated with them in any way and have had nothing but a positive experience with them.

• Does it pitchbend?

• @dblonde said:
    I have both the older wifi model and now the newer JS+ and for me they are well used and I would recommend them with no hesitation.
    I use Mine with both my iPad and PC with Cubase and Kontakt and for me it is essential these days.
    I will agree they are not cheap and again I will agree with the usual comparisons with guitar etc and it's non ability to imitate what some guitarists expect from it.
    For me it's not a guitar but a midi controller that uses some aspects of guitar technique to be able to play. You will need to learn to play it as it behaves differently. It's awesome when you get going and if you do not play keys like me then it's a no brainier to access the amount of excellent synths available for iPad, not even mentioning what possibilities there are with the PC.
    The guys at Zivix are very open and willing to listen to your thoughts and impressions and I am not affiliated with them in any way and have had nothing but a positive experience with them.

What is the advantage to the plus compared to the original? I am strictly interested in the thing as a midi controller. I do wish it had a little more range but I can deal with 5 frets as I'm sure I'll likely be editing my midi anyway. I'll probably be waiting a bit before biting.
    Thanks

• I travel a lot in my teaching and was wondering if it could function as a device i bring around to teach open chords and stuff. @dblonde , do the acoustic samples that come with the software sound good? and is the newer model a lot better than the old one? cause i can get the old one for $50 or something!

• @dblonde the strumming also sounds a little unnatural in the videos i've heard (probably more of a software than hardware issue), can you do normal down ups without sounding weird? :) thanks for helping out with advice as an owner of the devices!!

• The strumming is definitely not natural sounding and is difficult to get to sound like your on a guitar. That said with practice you kind of learn how to imitate the process and get something that sounds ok. The sounds bundled in the controller app are quite good but I tend to use a sound font with Bsi and this sounds better.
    The plus version is superior as it uses 2 new technologies. Instead of midi over wifi it's now over Bluetooth and any latency is now minimal and far more responsive than before. The plus also has an added magnetic sensor ( pickup) and this has helped with the sensitivity of your plucking and how you attack the strings etc. the plus also has a 'tapping mode' not Van Halen but more like a Chapman stick mode so you can play it by tapping the fretboard.
    The original model is well worth 50 bucks. The original is however better when wired through the USB port either into your iPad with camera connection kit or straight into your PC etc.
    There are tricks to help the original work and respond better, like having your iPad run in aeroplane mode and then turning on wifi, but the plus model eliminates this trick as its Bluetooth.
    If you search my threads or sound cloud for jamstik you will find 'Kadhim hart' and a few JS tunes I have made.
    Take the plunge I assure you once you have gotten over the initial guitar expectations and practiced with it as an instrument I its own right you will be pleased with it.

One last thing there are buttons on the side of both models that allow a virtual capo and octave transpose at a press of a button so 5 frets is no limitation in anyway unless your shredding? Then maybe the JS is not for you? The free app also has many instruments sounds and also what Zivix call the 'jam tutor' which is perfect for teaching guitar chords and scales up to its range.

Get one, have fun, report back:)

• And yes it definitely can do 'string bend' which is the guitar equivalent of pitchblende :)

• Here is something played with the JS.

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/8893/new-track-lift-music

I don't use keys so the JS was perfect. All guitars at beginning and the piano was JS. The middle section was played with JS but there is also a Lowden acoustic sitting in there also.

All synths played with JS, and drums were a cubasis loop with some effects and a cymbal hit played again with the JS.

All PC synths, Kontakt and Alchemy played with the JS. I think you get the idea?

Regards

Dblonde

• @dblonde, thanks a lot for the sharing! it was very comprehensive! I think I won't go for it until I get to try one in person because my main purpose of getting it is so I can teach my students how to strum without lugging my acoustic around every day :( it does look super fun for midi purposes though, but I don't do enough midi to justify myself getting something in addition to the keyboard controller I currently have >_<

• Sounds wise. For the teaching of guitar look on YouTube for vids of the jam tutor and see if it answers any further questions?

For me the JS is now essential and I use it daily. In fact I'm in London right now on holiday and the JS+ came along easily in my bag:)

Good luck!

• You make a compelling case for the Jamstik+ @dblonde.

Thinking of it as a guitar-like MIDI controller rather than a replacement for a real instrument is a good idea.

• Hi everyone,I need to know if the one finger chord mode is only available for jammix or can be used in some way to play with garageband or other apps on ios.
    i'm desperate !!!