Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A few thoughts on July 4

A very down and dirty draft that collects some of the accumulated maxims that might have been useful for me to know when I first arrived in this country (and which was an Independence Day of sorts itself).

Certainly a WIP, as America is also.

Comments

• Heaven, someday I hope to return to that beautiful prison, until then, Liberty.

• Actually, in America money does seem to be like gravity in that it all coalesces together.

• @Paul said:
    Actually, in America money does seem to be like gravity in that it all coalesces together.

I wouldn't just say that's a sole American attribute, seems the same, the world over.

• Hey Johnny. Love this track. You definitely have your own sound. I've been searching for mine for years. But you've found yours and I'm jealous because your sound is so damn cool. Where do you get all your spoken parts? What apps did you use on this track? Tell us your secrets so we may all prosper!

• Happy birthday, Uncle Sam! My birthday! Haha!

• God bless America!

• @ JohnnyGoodyear Cool track Johnny. Was that your voice as the narrator?

• edited July 2015

@AndyE said:
    Hey Johnny. Love this track. You definitely have your own sound. I've been searching for mine for years. But you've found yours and I'm jealous because your sound is so damn cool. Where do you get all your spoken parts? What apps did you use on this track? Tell us your secrets so we may all prosper!

Only secret was using Turnado here and there. It really is a flexible monster.

I just (and I hope/think this answers @mkell's q too) read from list of thoughts I'd written down about America. Or exaggerated ideas that might have been useful to me a thousand years ago when I first arrived in Queens, New York and found myself somewhat puzzled.

Thanks for the comments gents. Just a sketch of something that needs more drawing...

• Johnny. I just discovered this genius feature where when you zero an effect itaautomatically goes to the back of the chain. It really gives a lot of power. Sorry I'm abroad with limited Internet so couldn't listen to the track. God bless humanity as long as it behaves.

• Nice Johnny, I'll have to add my usual comment about putting your vocal higher in the mix though!

Put me in mind of this one:

• edited July 2015

@monzo said:
    Put me in mind of this one:

I can't deal with that repetition. Makes me wanna rip my shirt off and smash through the front door. Sorry if it's one of yours Monzo.
    JohnnyGoodyear' track made me sit up and listen. I was intrigued and wanted to hear/know more. Thought about it all day today actually.
    I don't own Turnado but I will tomorrow.

• @AndyE said:

No it's not one of mine. They (Negativland) don't usually do this and it'd normally annoy me too (a bit like the forum 'draft saved' message that's appeared at least five times whilst writing this post) but
    I think it works in this context, if you listen to the whole thing the repetition/cut-up is a deliberate vehicle used to slowly reveal the whole message.

• It's interesting to see what someone coming over as an adult's opinion compared to what I might think having grown up here. Also the U.S. is huge so depending what part of the country you're in you will have a totally different experience. A lot of it too has to do with the media, film, and music.

• @mkell424 said:
    It's interesting to see what someone coming over as an adult's opinion compared to what I might think having grown up here. Also the U.S. is huge so depending what part of the country you're in you will have a totally different experience. A lot of it too has to do with the media, film, and music.

Absolutely. I was actually channeling cliches more than anything else, especially what other people THINK of America who've never been here. It's hard to do irony and keep time sometimes :)

• @supadom said:
    Johnny. I just discovered this genius feature where when you zero an effect itaautomatically goes to the back of the chain. It really gives a lot of power. Sorry I'm abroad with limited Internet so couldn't listen to the track. God bless humanity as long as it behaves.

I love the idea of being abroad. For me that is something I was only ever when I lived in England. If I go somewhere from here in the US it doesn't have the same feel. Can't explain it, but imagine those of a British persuasion get it.

Fog in the channel, continent cut off etc.

When you're home again and if of a mind, please explain about this genius feature. Don't quite understand but v. interested.

• edited July 2015

It's probably something to do with being born in only one place. I was just telling my other half how a small geographic area can feel like an entire universe when you're 8 and how excitement lessens with age. Once you've seen 3 big cities every next one is just another big city, every next new country is less of a new country.

When I first came to Italy I sniffed every corner like a dog, maybe because I was an underdog. Now I'm the king of my own situation and all I can smell is dust and decaying fish.

I guess that's the discoverer's faith. Same goes for music. When I first played a guitar chord in unison with bass and drums I almost pissed myself.
    Wandering, just wondering...

• @supadom said:

When I first played a guitar chord in unison with bass and drums I almost pissed myself.

Oh man, when I read that line I snorted so hard that snot came out my nose. And I'm sure we all recognise what you're saying. So funny though.

• @JohnnyGoodyear You said you went to the Round House so I assume you moved to Queens in the 70's or 80's. That was a rough time in NYC before they cleaned it up in the 90s. I'll bet you saw some crazy shit.

• edited July 2015

@mkell424 It's been my experience that's there's crazy shit everywhere, especially when you go looking for it :) But for all of that the worst of the drama and violence I've seen has happened in the houses of people I've known; pretty common I'd guess.

• @JohnnyGoodyear
    I'm a fan, once again you got me. Puts me in mind, in so many delicious ways, of one of the greatest movies, ever, about team USA: The Parallax View.

• edited July 2015

@Littlewoodg Thanks. It is a rough something or other, but if I get it to become a finished song finally I shall come back and post it at SOTMC.

As for the Parallax View, that -in combination with The Conversation- sums up about 85% of my unconscious political consciousness. And also, perversely, my love of American culture.

• edited July 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    ...As for the Parallax View, that -in combination with The Conversation- sums up about 85% of my unconscious political consciousness. And also, perversely, my love of American culture.

Me too, those two, and I'm from here...those two are also probably 85% of why I got into movie making. Seeing 2001 on first release in a CineramaDome in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, would be the other 85%.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

As for the Parallax View, that -in combination with The Conversation- sums up about 85% of my unconscious political consciousness. And also, perversely, my love of American culture.

Well the leaked Snowden documents about the NSA pretty much confirm the Conversation part of your political consciousness.

@Littlewoodg said:
    Seeing 2001 on first release in a CineramaDome in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, would be the other 85%.

That would have been spectacular! Lucky bastard. :-)

• edited July 2015

@Littlewoodg said:
    Me too, those two, and I'm from here...those two are also probably 85% of why I got into movie making. Seeing 2001 on first release in a CineramaDome in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, would be the other 85%.

Not trying to date you (don't take that the wrong way :), but how old were you when you saw 2001? I regret the fact that I was 9 when my sister (gawd luv 'er) dragged me to The Gaumont in Richmond to see it. The regret being that while I was wide-eyed at it all, I wasn't capable (of course) of really knowing what I was seeing (perhaps not even of properly seeing what I was seeing)....hasn't interfered with my interest in Mister Kubrick ever since mind you...

• edited July 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear. I would've been 8 if my math is correct (born in '60, movie opened in '68, though it might've taken a whole year to open in OK). I had no idea what I was watching of course, but I remember watching the fuck out of it, it went directly in, and hasn't really left. Put me on a path to say the least. I left the bizness long ago but here we are: the music (and images). Kubrick and his music. Music is half of what happened to me with 2001.
    Daisy...Daisy...give...me...your...answer...do...

• edited July 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear and @Littlewoodg I missed out seeing it in the theater because I was born a few years later but I did have the advantage of VHS when I first saw it at 12. So I was able to watch it many times to understand it. Plus having a book about Kubrick's films helped. :-)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    mkell424 It's been my experience that's there's crazy shit everywhere, especially when you go looking for it :) But for all of that the worst of the drama and violence I've seen has happened in the houses of people I've known; pretty common I'd guess.

Yes. It seems that "underbelly" isn't quite the right term. Everybody's got shit, and the shit's everywhere.

Provocative stuff, Mr. Goodyear. I dig your art, man.

• @mkell424 said:
    JohnnyGoodyear and Littlewoodg I missed out seeing it in the theater because I was born a few years later but I did have the advantage of VHS when I first saw it at 12. So I was able to watch it many times to understand it. Plus having a book about Kubrick's films helped. :-)

Exactly what I did, brother: spent the next x years trying to figure it out, what it meant, then how it was made, then what else was out there like it...sound and vision, which still accounts for most of what I've gotten up to since.

• @Littlewoodg I made some shorts on video and majored in film studies and video production, but got sidetracked by the Internet boom of the 90's and ended up in computers. If you don't mind me asking how were you involved in moviemaking?

• @synthandson Artistically, morally or legally?