Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can't use IAA in Auria

My latest Auria issue - just tried to record some iM1 onto a track that already had some iM1 sounds on it, via IAA, and as soon as I went into record mode I got hideous feedback (even using headphones). Fine when playing along, but as soon as I pressed record and then a key in iM1 it screetched.

This then seems to kill all audio, none of my apps would make a sound. Rebooted and had very low volume and very bad latency in iM1. Did a hard reboot and restored everything - but iM1 still showing really bad latency (using iPad keyboard).

Tried Sunrizer - no latency, all sounded fine. Added it as an IAA track in Auria and as soon as I went into record we were back in screetch mode. Then no audio, bad latency etc.

Auria was happily recording via IAA last night, now when I try and record it goes into a meltdown that seems to affect the whole ipad.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think I've got dodgy hardware here.

Comments

• edited July 2015

Nope, tried several reboots of everything, general hard reboot etc. and Auria will no longer record via IAA. I had to start using this due to problems with using Audiobus and Auria (everything was out of time) a few days ago, and now, suddenly, without any changes or updates, IAA has stopped working.

• edited July 2015

Weird - just started a brand new song and recorded iM1 and Thumbjam as IAA with no problems whatsoever. Went back into my previous song, set up iM1, pressed record, then the iM1 - screetch city. Somehow, something has gone amiss on that song and I've no idea what it is, but it reinforces my way of working which is to get in and out of Auria as quickly as possible before it screws everything up. I guess I need to post this on the Auria forum unless anyone else can shed any light on why this would happen.

• thanks for the info sharing! hope the bug gets fixed

• edited July 2015

Thanks, I've tried all sorts but I'm no longer able to record audio on the song I was working on without screeching feedback noise. New songs are fine, even though the settings are identical.

• What IOS are you on?
    I'm on 8.2 and I suddenly from one day to the other began experiencing issues right after getting pop up from Apple about installing the upgrade. Auria and Cubasis began to act weird.

• Auria really needs to spend some time on their IAA implementation. For example JamUp Pro and Bias each have 2 entries in the IAA list in Auria. One of them works and one doesn't. Yet because the entries aren't sorted it is very easy to miss this and inadvertently use the entry that doesn't work. Getting ToneStack to work is very hit and miss. My latest experience has ToneStack recording but without the sound of amp, cabinet, effects. In other words just the raw signal. This kind of defeats the purpose of using the app. There is a ToneStack not working thread (http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12996&p=38560&hilit=Tonestack#p38560) on the Auria forum in which the developer says " I suggest contacting the developer of Tonestack. Sounds like something on their end." Except ToneStack works fine with both AudioShare and Garageband. I believe in cutting developers some slack but IAA has been around for a while now and most apps seem to use the protocol with no problems.

• Sounds like somehow your project got corrupted. I have had this happen to me as well. I don't think I ever resolved it, just moved on.

• I was alerted to the issue with Auria and ToneStack by a friend. I was a bit dubious at first but was able to replicate his experience right away. And as I said, no problems with AudioShare and Garageband.

• I've had projects getting corrupted in Logic too. I just end up transferring the files to a new project to finish off the track.

• edited July 2015

Thanks for the replies - I think you're right and the track has become corrupted. What's the quickest way to transfer it to a new one?

• Are you able to mixdown as stems? That way you could transfer all the audio in place.

• Don't think so - I looked at doing that yesterday and mixdown didn't have an option to save stems, just output as a single file.

• edited July 2015

If you click the file options and scroll down stems should come up at the bottom of the list. (the box is pre set to WAV)
    Otherwise you'll just have to go into the project folder to retrieve your tracks.

• edited July 2015

@pichi said:
    If you click the file options and scroll down stems should come up at the bottom of the list. (the box is pre set to WAV)
    Otherwise you'll just have to go into the project folder to retrieve your tracks.

Ah ok, didn't see that one, thanks.

I've stopped using Auria for recording, and have gone back to Garageband. I'll probably still use Auria for mixing and editing though, if it can manage it without corrupting my tracks.

• @Deselby said:
    My latest experience has ToneStack recording but without the sound of amp, cabinet, effects. In other words just the raw signal.

You need to long press on the record enable button and set "record effects" from the menu.

• @richardyot Thanks for the help. ToneStack effects are being recorded now but with noticeable latency. It's counter intuitive that "record effects" doesn't need to be enabled when using JamUp Pro but does when using ToneStack. And JamUp Pro doesn't suffer the latency problems. These are undoubtedly implementation differences but nontheless grating after having invested a good amount of change in Auria and sundry IAPs. Anyways, thanks again.

• If you're using the Auria native version of Jamup that would explain the differences.

I think the best way to control latency is to use Audiobus, although in theory you should also be able to set it via the Auria preferences when using IAA, but IAA is weird and unpredictable a lot of the time.

• I'm not using the IAP of JamUp Pro but the regular app. The problem that I've had with AudioBus is that it introduces jitter whereas in my experience IAA doesn't. I prefaced my comments by saying that I think that Auria should revisit their IAA implementation. And I still think that the case. IAA has been around for a while now and other apps handle the protocol without the problems suffered in Auria. I don't want to belabour the point or slight Auria, so will leave it that that.

• Well in theory if you are using Jamup or Tonestack via IAA there shouldn't be any differences in latency - if there is that would suggest a bug somewhere.

Worth noting that on iOS latency is usually set by the first app that is opened, so the best practice would be to close every single app via the app switcher, then open Auria, set the latency to 128 (or whatever your iPad can handle) in the preferences, and then load your IAA plugin.

Auria's not perfect, but sometimes it's hard to tell if the problem is Auria or iOS.

• edited July 2015

Here we go again - added a third track to a new song in Auria - and tried recording Cyclop via IAA and got the dreaded screeching again. Swapped apps to Thumbjam but still screetched when I tried to record. Unless I'm doing something wrong - which is unlikely as it's a random issue - then IAA is borked in Auria for me. Managed to record the track via AB though.

• edited July 2015

The 'Screeching occurence', like when you unplug an audiocable from an amp, and then digital humming ;) ? I think, this was amongst a series of many partly severe bugs, when iaa and audiobus began to get 'integrated' and 'synced' for the first time then prbly.
    I'm noticing it too from time to time with all other apps as well.

• @crzycrs said:
    The 'Screeching occurence', like when you unplug an audiocable from an amp, and then digital humming ;) ? I think, this was amongst a series of many partly severe bugs, when iaa and audiobus began to get 'integrated' and 'synced' for the first time then prbly.
    I'm noticing it too from time to time with all other apps as well.

Yeah that's the one. I get more of a distorted humming when it occurs in a (no Auria) Audiobus chain, though usually the issue there is not audio. I've just updated Audiobus though so maybe that's helped.

The Auria/IAA is definitely the thing you've described though, and I've only heard it in this setup, and it doesn't always happen - it just suddenly crops up and that's it - no more recording on that song.

• edited July 2015

Mhm, maybe it's our equivalent to a hardware environment :) , following this thought, and the Fuzzynes of Randomnes, if in a 'rec. on' or 'actively listening' situation, inserting and exchanging a 'playing' candidate has an influence on the core audio condition.