Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg + Cubasis MIDI blues

Hi,

I'm using Cubasis as my DAW and I've just gotten a Korg Microkey 25 controller. With this combination, I've more or less lost the ability to play multiple/multitimbral synth apps.

The trouble is Cubasis Midi Thru behavior. On a "normal" DAW, incoming Midi is either re-transmited as is (if the track that's enabled for Midi Thru is set to output on channel "ANY") or re-mapped to the channel specified in the tracks Midi Out/Thru settings.

Unfortunately Cubasis does not work like this, but will simply re-transmit incoming Midi, without doing any channel re-mapping, regardless of track settings.

Because most IOS synths will always respond to Core Midi, it seems like we are extra challenged and that useful Midi Thru behavior in an IOS DAW would be an essential feature.

One - How I would want to work with a DAW:

Make sure my external controller is set to transmit on a channel that non of my sound sources respond to (to avoid triggering them through Core MIDI). Then use my DAW's Midi Out/Thru settings, to route my Midi to the correct target and channel as I'm recording. Job done.

With Cubasis Midi Thru behavior, this is not an option

Two - Workaround I can use when using my full blown external controller:

Make sure each synth is set to receive on a discrete channel (several for multi-timbral ones). Avoid using Midi Thru in Cubasis during recording and simply change the channel on the external controller, to target the correct synth/sound, through Core Midi.

Unfortunately the transmit channel of my brand new of the Korg microKey cannot be changed (without connecting to a configuration program on a PC!). So this options is also a no-go.

Three - Final workaround, which is getting far into the unacceptable:

Make sure no synth sound is set to receive on the transmit channel of the external controller. When you want to record with a specific sound, temporarily set the receive channel of the synth/timbre, to match that of the external controller...

Well this is just getting retarded..

As you can see Cubasis design/implementation of Midi Thru is severly limiting and I actually see it as a direct design/implementation flaw, because it add's no functionality, but robs us of a well established workflow.

Unless one of the midi routing/mapping apps out there can come to my rescue (I'm assuming they cannot prevent the external controller from going straight to the individual synth through core midi) I might just be stuck with sending either the Korg Controller back or simply waiting for Auria Pro and praying for a better Midi implementation.

Let me know if you have any ideas or tricks

Comments

• That's unfortunate about the keyboard, but my guess is using a midi remapping app would be a simple fix and could be useful in other ways as well . Who knows? Maybe Cubasis is working to add this functionality in a future update. Midiflow was recommended to me just recently though.

• @Martygras said:
    Who knows? Maybe Cubasis is working to add this functionality in a future update.

I've asked them, but based on their responce when I last mentioned it to them, I'm not getting my hopes up..

@Martygras said:

Midiflow was recommended to me just recently

MidiFlow looks like a cool option. It would enable something of a mix between two and three. Still sounds like a lot of app switching though :-)

• edited July 2018

Hi,
    i am the other guy on this planet who is missing this great exotic feature named "re-channelizing" so that i could play my iM1 with Cubasis. Any progress with this issue? Let me know please!

PS: i have AudioBus 3 and Midiflow Channels, but i don't know how to it...

• I wonder if Auria pro can do it