Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Duplicate tracks?

Hello everyone. Asking here because I've found no better resource for such questions. I would like to repeat all the tracks of a song in Garageband maybe 2 to 3 times. I always use Garageband as the output in AB. All the tracks are of various lengths with several splits throughout. So, in essence I want to repeat/loop the entire song as recorded. Seems like it should be simple enough but I tend to miss the easy solutions. Thanks in advance for responses.

Comments

• edited May 2015

@Ben There is a loop option in GarageBand, double tap on the audio region you want to duplicate and select loop. You could export the song and then import it onto one track and then loop it.

• edited May 2015

@Ben and @Paul - If the tracks are of various lenghts then to loop every track would not be comfortable, cause the splits in between would be gone, and you have to correct that manually. Better idea - in my opinion - is to get all the tracks in 1 section, and then duplicate that whole section (with the + sign in the top right corner). If the tracks are now on several sections , say section A and B and C, then just go to + and first duplicate A then B then C and then A then B then C, then A then B etcetra.

Another option is to merge the whole song, and loop it, or duplicate the section(s) in which the result is placed. You merge by tapping a track once (before start of the track, I mean where the track icon is). You then can tap a dot on every track of the song to merge all tracks at once.If you alteady have a lot of sections, than merge everything, add one big section and copy the merged song to that section, and then delete all the previos sections, and then duplicate that one section. There is however a limit to the lenght of a song in GB.

• @Marcel Thanks for this simple 'merge' tip. I don't use GB very often, I seem to have some sort of prejudice against it, which, despite it limitations in some areas, seems pretty damn silly. Just a tool after all. As a result, I probably don't even realize some of the simpler/more useful things it does.

• @Marcel. I have songs that fit the description of both cases that you described and tried them both this morning and it worked perfectly. Thanks for that. I've used the merge function before and that's great for freeing up space. @JohnnyGoodyear. I've toyed with the idea of getting Auria based on the positive comments I see here but I figured that Garageband would be a simpler learning process. A little frustrated by the lack of post recording mixing capabilities but I do like the user friendly layout. As always gentlemen, thanks for the help.

• edited May 2015

@Ben I don't know what you're up to, what your plan is etc etc, but Auria is a different and separate beast, even in my clumsy and ignorant hands.

• edited May 2015

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but tap on the "+" sign in the upper right, where you create new sections, duplicate sections, and press "all sections." Then it plays the song as a whole and not just an individual section.

If you're saying you create a section and would like it to repeat again, just long press on the section and select "duplicate."

If that's not what you're asking, hopefully this helped anyway.

• edited May 2015

@mrufino1 said:
    I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but tap on the "+" sign in the upper right, where you create new sections, duplicate sections, and press "all sections." Then it plays the song as a whole and not just an individual section.

This kind of thing kills me. Never knew etc. More shamefully had never had the wit to think 'duh, what dis button'?

• You're welcome.

GarageBand is a very powerful writing tool for me. Now that I have a Mac that runs an OS that can run GarageBand x, loading those phone scratch tracks I to the desktop to further tweak and arrange is very cool especially the drummer. I actually sold superior drummer and ez drummer recently because this makes more sense for me for writing purposes.

• @mrufino1 said:
    You're welcome.

GarageBand is a very powerful writing tool for me. Now that I have a Mac that runs an OS that can run GarageBand x, loading those phone scratch tracks I to the desktop to further tweak and arrange is very cool especially the drummer. I actually sold superior drummer and ez drummer recently because this makes more sense for me for writing purposes.

OK. I need to take a break. I thought you were referring to a little X in Gadget, which I went looking for ("Where in the top right corner?") and then, Lo, I did indeed find one and it does indeed do something I wasn't yet aware of. Not GB at all.

Thanks all the same :)

Must be time to go thrash the kid out on the pingpong court...