Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mid-2015 Flash Poll: Your iOS version

Can I call it mid-2015 yet? :-) Please take a quick moment to click the iOS version you are running on your main music-making device.

If you are not running the latest (which will change over time, but is currently 8.3 as of this writing), would you please post your reason(s)? Unsupported device? Beloved app that won't run on latest? Believed performance reasons?

iOS version running on primary music device
  1. What version of IOS are you running on your main music-making device?120 votes
    1. Latest
      70.00%
    2. Non-latest iOS 8
        5.83%
    3. iOS 7.x
      24.17%
    4. iOS 6.x
        0.00%

Comments

• The latest.

I used to be able to record BeepBoop in Audiobus. Not anymore even though it was updated which was supposed to fix it. I love the crazy noise that app can make.

That's the only thing so I probably gained more than I lost. I mean there's at least 3 iOS8 only apps I have, maybe more.

• I finally decided to upgrade to 8.3 mainly to get iM1 and synth master ( which are both awesome)working right and the only problem so far is that the audiobus panel in animoog won't respond.I hope the update comes soon.

• 8.2 And staying.

• those 17% sure are loud. Seems like every other thread descends into a discussion about how new apps don't support 7.

• This poll goes to show that those not on the latest OS are kidding them selves ......... The silent majority has spoken. Volumes.

• @FrankieJay said:
    This poll goes to show that those not on the latest OS are kidding them selves ......... The silent majority has spoken. Volumes.

I don't think this is some kind of IOS game of thrones. I could be wrong though...

• @supadom said:

It's all about choice. There's a loud minority here who would have us believe 8.1.3 sucks.

The majority who are actually on the latest OS are the ones driving iOS to new pastures.

I hate Game Of Thrones. Not my thing so the above reference fell on deaf ears :)

FWIW, I'm still on Mac 10.6.8 but that's my choice so will never moan about updates breaking apps etc.

• edited May 2015

latest with air2

2x iphone 4 @ 7.1.2

2x ipad2 @7.1.2

• There's no moaning from me about ios7, I'm on it still by choice. However, if a dev says their app supports 7 and it's crashing, wouldn't it make sense to let them know that?

Staying on 10.6.8 for music is wise though, I put lion on my macbook and it's not great. Of course, the difference there is that if I want to I can still install 10.6, whereas you cannot go back to ios7 if 8 doesn't work well for music. I may update, I'll see. But no moaning from here.

• There is no battle here. But have to note that most of used iPads in the market are on latest iOS and the air2 came with 8 version. If there was a choice IMO people would settle down on 7. But I am sure when next iOS arrives most of us would love 8.x!

• I'm sticking with 8.2 because Funbox will not work with 8.3 and because of the various issues people have been posting about since updating to 8.3

• Switched IOS7 to 8 yesterday.

Pleased thus far.

• 8.2 to keep iFunbox alive, which is funny because I've only needed to use it maybe 5 times in the last year ... But for that I'd be on 8.3.

• @FrankieJay said:
    This poll goes to show that those not on the latest OS are kidding them selves ......... The silent majority has spoken. Volumes.

Because the majority is always right? Or because every new iPad shipped in the past 9 months or so had iOS 8 loaded?

• @mmp said:
    those 17% sure are loud. Seems like every other thread descends into a discussion about how new apps don't support 7.

This exactly! Wow. Obviously our days are numbered, but it sure seems like there are a lot of frequent posters here that are on iOS7 because they think it is better or because their device is too old to run iOS8 (I would be in the latter camp).

• Would be interesting to run this poll by nationality. Could be quite revealing?

• I use apps live and the need for sequencing/syncing is almost nill for that workflow.

• I use apps live and the need for sequencing/syncing is absolute for that workflow.

• Staying at 8.2 until they figure out this file share thing, or not......

• Still using 7.1.2 because of the overall dissatisfaction experienced by those who had upgraded to 8 early on where their music was concerned, and I have yet to see an all-clear for my iPhone 5 that is still working just fine.

• edited May 2015

The cold data shows that major iOS revisions actually slow down older version hardware.(even if just by a tiny amount.) That's a big reason I am on iOS 7. There is no compelling feature I need in iOS 8 yet. But I do miss a few nonessential apps that are iOS 8 only.

• Every device I have is on iOS8.3. iPad Air2(128), 2x ipad2 (16), iphone4s (64). There are more reasons to move UP to 8.3 than reasons to stay behind. And with the current 'test flight' status (no iOS7) things will only become more difficult for those who choose to stay behind as more iOS8 only software is released.

• The only reason I'd go back to 7 is shitty scrolling in Safari. Not possible...dammit.

• What is know so far is that iOS9 will focus heavily on optimisations even for older devices.
    I still have my 1st Gen iPad Mini (running iOS8.3) so it's going to be nice to see how it will perform once iOS9 is relesed :)

• @supadom said:
    The only reason I'd go back to 7 is shitty scrolling in Safari. Not possible...dammit.

This is the stuff that aggrivates me. Why would Apple release an OS that ends up making things function poorly? A major appeal of an iPad used to be how quick it was to get what you needed. Remember the first time we all picked up an iPad? Go into safari and pinchzoom, swipe up, swipe down webpages. it was all instantaneous and amazing. Does Apple think users don't care about that anymore?

I really hope iOS 9 makes some drastic improvements.

• 8.3 on my old iPad 4. I am on the latest because I was a developer all of my life (not on iOS) and I know what it does to devs to have to support multiple OS versions. A lot of time and money goes into just testing, each OS, let alone mangling the code to support multiple OS version. In iOS I'd guess that the line between making a living while producing great iOS apps and supporting one more older version is pretty tight.

My philosophy is: upgrade early and often and work with the devs of apps that break to fix it ASAP. If you can't get any support from the dev, Its too risky an app to depend on in production.

• It's really going to be interesting to see what new iOS9 brings.

Good developers will stay updated with the changes to iOS and update their apps so they are ready when release gets near (meaning when Apple starts to accept iOS9 submissions).

New iOS updates are also good checkpoints too see which apps are no longer being supported/updated by their developer.

Apps that rely on 3rd party frameworks will most likely suffer in the beginning...
    Most of the AB related issues we are seeing are caused by developers being 'behind' in implementing the latest AB SDK ;)

• still on 7.1.1

i use cubasis, imaschine and bunch of soft synths with no issue. the only other apps i use on it are itunes for listening to music and onenote to make notes on recording projects.

• Holding out for iOS9 on the iPad PRO!!!