Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best setup for playing midi keyboard on the beach using either iPhone or iPad?

Hello all, recently I've felt inspired to play/write music on the beach using sounds from sampletank /isymphonic and sunrizer. So I took a trip to my local guitar center and found the attached mini keyboards available. Was curious if anybody has been successful in having a similar setup?

I tried searching the forum and something that comes up is the idea of powered vs unpowered hub, CCK unable to pass MIDI (?) and from my own personal discovery, the CCK is hard to find in Apple Store, Best Buy stores. Guitar center carries one that is for the old iPhone/iPad so does that mean that's the only option? So I need to buy some adaptor for the old CCK to lightening? Or is there an interface that bypasses all this? But if I have to start dragging along a million different pieces of plugs, wires and hubs, kinda defeats the whole appeal of being able to just hang at the beach with an iPhone or iPad and a tiny keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hey @gjcyrus. (To hijack this thread even further) I see you have akai mpk mini in your set up. How are you finding the joystick? I found it quite unusable for modulation (cc1) as it doesn't return to zero when released. How do you have it set up? I'm on the verge of returning mine but thought I see if someone found a clever way of working around this design flaw.

• Hey supadom! I wish I had these keyboards in my setup. That's a picture I took with my iphone in guitar center of all the small keyboards they had (except for Keith Mcmillen k-board as it was on sale in another aisle)

• Given the sand element, I would opt for the k-board or Qunexxus.

• Yes, if someone should step or lay down on the Keith McMillen products, they'll still be good to go.

• True but you could use the xkey to eat ice cream while taking a break!

• Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Do any of you know if either the k-board/qunexux or cme xkey need a power/unpowered hub? And how to deal with that whole CCK connector? Are you guys using it with the CCK that has a lightening on one end and usb female on the other? Since they only sell the old CCK with 30 pin (or 32 pin whatever it is) is Amazon the only choice? Seems strange than such an important component of all these cool keyboards is such as hassle to purchase from Guitar Center/Best Buy and even Apple Store.

Thanks again

• They stopped calling it the CCK. It's just called a USB adaptor now (I think).

• I don't have access to the QuNexxus, but I believe I just used the USD Adaptor/CCK and the USB end plugged into another adaptor that was supplied with the QuNexxus.

• As a long term akai MPK mini user I'd say go with that. It powers off cck and is well built. Also about the size of the ipad which is perfect to carry in the bag.

• Thanks again for feedback guys. Much appreciated. I am leaning towards the qunexis or k-board as I thought I read somewhere that the akai mpk II has no low power mode? I also like the akai apc key 25 if that could work with launchpad but would prefer to keep it lighter if possible.

• I was suggesting MPK mini mark 1

• Why SoundPrism of course...

• Another vote for the qunexus. Really compact and solid for gigging, but still expressive enough to be something you can actually PLAY. Plus it can be bus powered, so you don't need power to use it.

• edited May 2015

As for CCK etc...my slightly convoluted set up works fine: Novation Launchkey mini keyboard via USB to CCK 30 pin, then a 30 to Lightning adapter into iPad. For any connectors I recommend sticki with Apple adapters, not off brands.
    http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/ipad-accessories/cables-docks

Edited. I had three 30 pin iDevices at one time, hence the 30 Pin CCK in my setup. It was easier and cheaper for me to just get a 30 to Lightning connector for the new devices.

• I’d say the best advice is that given by the KLF in the song Justified and Ancient — “Bring the beach bag!”.

• QuNexus runs directly off the CCK, iPhone or iPad. I would guess its little brother would too.

• @u0421793 said:
    I’d say the best advice is that given by the KLF in the song Justified and Ancient — “Bring the beach bag!”.

....and a parasol!

• @TGiG said:
    True but you could use the xkey to eat ice cream while taking a break!

Did Jacob Haq produce this clip?