Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee JAM - or iRig HD?

I've scaled back from the iRig Pro, so unless there's a dramatic price drop just looking for a decent guitar interface. These two are similarly specced and priced - anyone tried both and have a preference, or have had a bad experience with them? I'm leaning towards the Apogee as their sound quality is supposed to be good, but the iRig is cheaper and comes with a few free apps (not that I need them) and leads for both ipad connections. Any feedback welcome :)

Comments

• I've got the jam and its great. I don't know about iRig though.

• I can only comment on the HD, which I think is pretty darn good - quiet and clean and well constructed. For me, the only niggle is that you don't get a big rotary dial to alter the gain (like on the Pro), but the multicolour LED acts as a simple 'meter'. The apps weren't of much use to me, as I use ToneStack and Bias.

• Jam works well and, in light of wanting to get in amongst things easily etc, I have had to nothing but plug the guitarist in and hit him. Peasy.

• edited May 2015

Nadav said:
    I've got the jam and its great. I don't know about iRig though.

Thanks, yeah heard good things about it.

@Igneous1 said:
    I can only comment on the HD, which I think is pretty darn good - quiet and clean and well constructed. For me, the only niggle is that you don't get a big rotary dial to alter the gain (like on the Pro), but the multicolour LED acts as a simple 'meter'. The apps weren't of much use to me, as I use ToneStack and Bias.

Ah right, isn't there a dial on the side? I'd probably use Tonestack too. When you factor in the cost of the leads it's a fair bit cheaper but the gain dial would be useful.

• Just picked-up an Alesis Core 1 for portable guitar and I'm very happy with it. $50 if you already have a camera connector.

http://www.alesis.com/core-1

• @solador78 said:
    Just picked-up an Alesis Core 1 for portable guitar and I'm very happy with it. $50 if you already have a camera connector.

http://www.alesis.com/core-1

I haven't got a camera connection kit, but planning to get one of these: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a so I guess I could connect the standard connector for charging to the Apple lead and then into the ipad. A bit more lead juggling than the others but a very good price.

• .> @monzo said:

Yes, that's exactly what you need. I already had one from before, so it was a no-brainer for me.

• @monzo I have the first Apogee JAM. Use it with it's USB lead through that lightning to USB connector with no problems. Single coil guitar drives it fine and the gain control is plenty useful. I also use that lightning to USB with a cheap MIDI cable on the odd occasion I spark up the electric piano.

• I can't tell anything about the iRig, but I can confirm that the Jam is excellent. I use the 96k version with both my iPad and my Mac and it's perfect. Easy to adjust the input level of my different guitars with the rolling button on the Jam's side. The sound is absolutely clean, clear, without any "ssshhhhhhh". A very good product.

• edited May 2015

@Flo26 - that is a piece of gear with a price tag of €1599,- . I am not surprised that it is 'really excellent'. I don't think monzo is really into that price range. Man....now I know why your guitar pieces sound so great! You have given away your secret.

• No I don't think Mrs Monzo would let me have that one ;)

Thanks for the relplies - the Apogee seems to be a popular purchase, and one everyone's been happy with so a strong contender. I'll make a choice when I get back off hols next week.

• I use the iRig HD with its lightning connector, it's sounds good but I have to say that although it does have a gain dial on the side, it is very recessed and I actually can never tell whether I've moved it or not, so it's pretty hit and miss. I just leave it in the same position now... But the iRig (well, any portable interface) is incredibly useful for when you just want to grab guitar, iPad & headphones to play late night on the sofa etc.

• @Durwin99 said:
    I use the iRig HD with its lightning connector, it's sounds good but I have to say that although it does have a gain dial on the side, it is very recessed and I actually can never tell whether I've moved it or not, so it's pretty hit and miss. I just leave it in the same position now... But the iRig (well, any portable interface) is incredibly useful for when you just want to grab guitar, iPad & headphones to play late night on the sofa etc.

Thanks, nice to have some irig feedback :) yeah definitely need something, at the moment I don't have a way to get guitar in, and on my old iPad the only way is via my Yamaha mixer, which is a bit if a faff.

• edited May 2015

@Monzo (do I just type that?!) (Edit: yes, it's that simple!) - I thought you had an iPad Air 2? I was going to suggest looking at something like a Focusrite iTrack Solo, same price as an iRig Pro, less portable but possibly better versatility, but no Midi - except they seem to have different versions for 30-pin (seen it for £70) and Lightning (£99 everywhere it seems). If you want something for both connectors, I guess IRig/Apogee etc would suit better.

• edited May 2015

@Durwin99 said:
    Monzo (do I just type that?!) (Edit: yes, it's that simple!) - I thought you had an iPad Air 2? I was going to suggest looking at something like a Focusrite iTrack Solo, same price as an iRig Pro, less portable but possibly better versatility, but no Midi - except they seem to have different versions for 30-pin (seen it for £70) and Lightning (£99 everywhere it seems). If you want something for both connectors, I guess IRig/Apogee etc would suit better.

I'm using an Air 2 now, but can connect a mixing desk to my old pad. I'll be able to do the same thing with the Air when I get the camera connection kit, but the ease of being able to plug in via a little thing will mean I use it more.

As long as the signals noise-free I'll be happy, as I'll be going through a ton of effects anyway.

• The cheapest way to get guitar in is a Rocksmith guitar cable. They are available separately, without the game, from about 30 bucks. I'm getting good results, not a lot of noise (may depend on guitar, pickups and environment though), but I've never used a dedicated interface, so I cannot make a comparision.

• @Flo26 said: I talked about the quartet because it has same preamps as the apogee jam. It was a kind of go for it for monzo.lol...

If you really think the apogee is my secret weapon,you miss a lot of things.lol.But,i must say it's really a great piece of gear.

I was only trying to be funny, but I guess I wasn't. No I don't think the apogee is your secret weapon. I was a bit overwhelmed by the quality of the equipment you have. But my thoughts on it now are that it is rather logical that a quality player has quality equipment, which you are and have. Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention - or it could be an unconscious intention, inspired by me buying Ampkit when I read your enthusiastic words about it, which where a bit too positive cause you used a crappy headphone (haha, kind of funny) you explained later - and the €30 I paid for it are ...hmm... not well spend cause ampkit is...hmm...not great (not bad either, the dry recording is a good feauture), I am not that happy with Ampkit. BUT: that is NOT your fault!! I bought it, it is my responsibility and my risk, so I can't blame you! So if I was unconsciously trying to offend you: sorry.

• I'm very very happy with the Apogee Jam; I've got a few interfaces, and that's my favorite. Next up would be a Focusrite iTrack Solo, which has migrated to be my main Mac interface (the iPad cable is stupidly short and stiff -- not sure if newer versions have fixed it). My Line 6 SonicPort has great connectivity, and is good, but doesn't sound as "warm" to my ears as the others do.

• @mmp said:
    The cheapest way to get guitar in is a Rocksmith guitar cable. They are available separately, without the game, from about 30 bucks. I'm getting good results, not a lot of noise (may depend on guitar, pickups and environment though), but I've never used a dedicated interface, so I cannot make a comparision.

+1 as a portable interface with the CCK and iPad or direct on my MacBook Pro. Been using this for a couple of years with no issues. Nice to have cable and interface all in one. Not perfect, but works very reliably.

If I was to buy something else portable, I'd get the Apogee Jam myself.

• Thanks guys - the Apogee's definitely the favourite so far!

• I think I'll go for the Apogee Jam (not 96k) - does it come with a cable, if not, what do I need to connect it to an Air 2?

• edited May 2015

The Jam 96k comes with 3 cables (lightning, 30 pins & USB) while the non 96k misses the ligthning one (AFAIK), so you'll have to add a CC kit.

• @Jocphone said:
    monzo I have the first Apogee JAM. Use it with it's USB lead through that lightning to USB connector with no problems. Single coil guitar drives it fine and the gain control is plenty useful. I also use that lightning to USB with a cheap MIDI cable on the odd occasion I spark up the electric piano.
    @Gratouilli said:
    The Jam 96k comes with 3 cables (lightning, 30 pins & USB) while the non 96k misses the ligthning one (AFAIK), so you'll have to add a CC kit.

Ah great thanks, just re-read @jocphones post and looks like I can connect the CC lead I linked to earlier, to the USB cable that comes with the non 96k - so two cables into the Air 2. Not as bad as I though as I need the CC lead anyway to connect my MIDI keyboard. Sorted I think, hopefully I'll get a chance to put orders in next week.

• I think it is safe to say that the quartet has better spec'd everything than the jam, as you would expect for the difference in cost. Both are great products, from a great company, designed by a very nice group of people!

• Yeah @monzo I don't think you will be disappointed with the JAM. I bought it after having the original (headphone jack) irig which was terrible.

• I was looking into this recently, but figured out how to hook up my Zoom R8 as an interface so I'm set! I had the Camera Kit Connector, but needed to add a powered USB hub to make it work. Not so portable, but saved me some bucks.

• @sonosaurus said:
    I think it is safe to say that the quartet has better spec'd everything than the jam, as you would expect for the difference in cost. Both are great products, from a great company, designed by a very nice group of people!

Yeah I haven't read a bad thing about them, or the sound quality.

@Jocphone said:
    Yeah monzo I don't think you will be disappointed with the JAM. I bought it after having the original (headphone jack) irig which was terrible.

Thanks, yes this is a definite go-er now.

@pichi said:
    I was looking into this recently, but figured out how to hook up my Zoom R8 as an interface so I'm set! I had the Camera Kit Connector, but needed to add a powered USB hub to make it work. Not so portable, but saved me some bucks.

I can do the same thing with my Yamaha mixing desk, but if I'm going to go through all the hassle of setting that up I might as well record into Logic on the Mac instead. The Apogee works with the quick/lightweight nature of using the iPad for recording, so the theory is I'll use it more.

• In a similar situation with wanting to record vocals @monzo. Want something that I can plug straight into the iPad without extra faff.

Current likely favourite is the Rode NT-USB but I was toying with the idea of replacing the apogee jam with a line6 sonic port vx which is like the jam but with built in microphones as well so I could record guitar and vocals at the same time.

Options, options..

• @Jocphone said:
    In a similar situation with wanting to record vocals monzo. Want something that I can plug straight into the iPad without extra faff.

Current likely favourite is the Rode NT-USB but I was toying with the idea of replacing the apogee jam with a line6 sonic port vx which is like the jam but with built in microphones as well so I could record guitar and vocals at the same time.

Options, options..

Isn't the phantom power in the Apogee enough to power a mic? I read somewhere that someone had used it for this, and I was hoping to do the same.

• According to this:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/knowledgebase/jam/can-i-connect-a-microphone-to-jam/

Then I think it's a bit iffy @monzo. Microphones are a bit of a mystery to me but i think Phantom Power is an extra power supply needed for certain mics. Don't really know why but that is why I want to go with one that just plugs in, no messing.