Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different Drummer on sale!

I was just in the mood to buy it, (since last night), looked just now and wow!

Different Drummer — Advanced rhythm & music generator by Techné Media
https://appsto.re/gb/utWtF.i

Comments

• The DD sales aren't usually very long, so if you're interested, you should act soon.

• edited May 2015

@funjunkie27 said:
    The DD sales aren't usually very long, so if you're interested, you should act soon.

Nice one! @funjunkie27,
    The above message must be for some other folks. I just purchased, hehe :-) Lovely Jubbly. :-)

Looking forward to getting stuck in. :-)

• Anyone use this much? Looks interesting, but haven't seen anything that makes me feel I'd use it very often.

• Very good discount! Going to try midi with Cyclop

• Hey @funjunkie27 isn't it about time for you to make a video how you use this app? Especially for the non percussive purposes.

• @Kaikoo said:
    Very good discount! Going to try midi with Cyclop

I was just watching a few vids and thought this would sound wicked with Cyclop. Think I'm going to have to get this...

• edited May 2015

Are there IAP's with this - or is everything (sample import, Audiobus) included in the main price? I read a post somewhere where they were complaining about the IAP costs, though it's not mentioned on their store page.

• There have never been IAPs with DD @monzo.

I'd really like to make another vid @supadom., but I won't get a chance for a few weeks, at least. Here's one I did some time ago, that might help, but I want to do another with a focus on midi.

• @monzo said:
    Are there IAP's with this - or is everything (sample import, Audiobus) included in the main price? I read a post somewhere where they were complaining about the IAP costs, though it's not mentioned on their store page.

No IAPs yet, it's all included. Really like this app, it's unlike anything else I've got but has a bit of a learning curve. It's one of those ones which it's easier to create more unusual things than not but I do find making a whole music piece within the interface a bit claustrophobic so I put it aside for a while but will go back to it. You can export the midi or create drum parts or whole songs. You can send midi out for the 8 tracks individually or have both midi out and internal samples.

I sort of feel like I'm directing it rather than writing a piece with this. Great for experimentation. Definitely going to use it to score some abstract films with. :)

• edited May 2015

@funjunkie27 said:
    There have never been IAPs with DD monzo.

@Carnbot said:
    I sort of feel like I'm directing it rather than writing a piece with this. Great for experimentation. Definitely going to use it to score some abstract films with. :)

Thanks for the confirmation - can't make my mind up with this, bit worried it'll be a too wacky even for my stuff. I've heard some good stuff on the @funjunkie27 and developers Soundcloud pages though, so it's tempting...

• Thanks @monzo. Taming it takes a bit of perserverance, but well worth it. Also, Flo has done some great things with it.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Thanks monzo. Taming it takes a bit of perserverance, but well worth it. Also, Flo has done some great things with it.

You've both done some good stuff with it. I'm on the fence and I can't get off with this one. Very tempted...

• Gotta agree with Flo.....I think it's worth the cost just using midi and a single track to control your favorite synth, but using all the tracks and ABA sequences, you can build full songs.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Gotta agree with Flo.....I think it's worth the cost just using midi and a single track to control your favorite synth, but using all the tracks and ABA sequences, you can build full songs.

wow! your last video is very nice! Hope you can create a video using few synths with it to further enhancing the midi sequncing concept. thank you a lot

• edited May 2015

@funjunkie27 said:
    Gotta agree with Flo.....I think it's worth the cost just using midi and a single track to control your favorite synth, but using all the tracks and ABA sequences, you can build full songs.

This what I'm interested in - in a couple of your tracks you seem to change chord/scale, and I'm guessing this is the 'jamming' part of the app. I like the idea of being able to do this.

@Flo26 said:
    Here is some of my work done with dd.

Sold - bought it!

• Thanks @Kaikoo. I will do another video, but I won't be able to for a few weeks, at least.

@monzo...there's a progression panel where you can specify the scale to be used....quite powerful, but there's also a "jam" panel where you can play on a keyboard strip and it automatically changes in sync with the progression that you've set up. Very fun and can yield some great results, plus it works with internal samples and/or midi. Don't forget to download from the community to deconstruct what others have done to shorten the learning curve.

Love the grooves @Flo26!

• I'll admit, I haven't jumped yet ... Curious, but intimidated by a screen full of unfamiliar buttons and thingies. Still, I think this video shot by the developer's wife captures the spectrum from innovation to utter madness this app can do in the hands of the app's creator with a little vino for good measure in just 8 minutes:

• To me the grooves this app produces sounds like it was made by a one-armed drummer. It sounds super linear and strange to my ears, like there's an internal rule that only one drum can be hit at a time. I could be persuaded otherwise but I just haven't heard anything yet that resembles something that an actual drummer would do. Maybe that is the intent, though. The app is called Different Drummer after all.

• edited May 2015

I would liken it more to an 8-armed Drummer since it has 8 entirely separate drum tracks that play simultaneously, plus 2 harmony voices per track plus a metronome and jammer track so if you have the CPU you can crank out 26 tracks of audio and MIDI at the same time. Also enjoyed having Funjunkie visit my office and we cranked it up to 3000 BPM for a good laugh. He's as nice in person as he is online!

• edited May 2015

@Flo26 said:
    Great! Now ,take your time,take a breathe, and see how it works.lol!!

You're right about the breathe bit - it's complete madness when you first open it up! It's frozen up a couple of times, though I have been clicking buttons randomly like a madman. I think if I hadn't had a few refunds recently I'd have been tempted to send this one back, but because I have, and I don't want to get in Apple's bad books I'll knuckle down and work on it. After half an hour of playing about I started to exert a bit of control over the thing and can start to see the potential. The samples are good that it comes with.

@funjunkie27 said:
    monzo...there's a progression panel where you can specify the scale to be used....quite powerful, but there's also a "jam" panel where you can play on a keyboard strip and it automatically changes in sync with the progression that you've set up. Very fun and can yield some great results, plus it works with internal samples and/or midi. Don't forget to download from the community to deconstruct what others have done to shorten the learning curve.

Thanks yes I found the jam panel - and when looking for examples stumbled across your tracks! I downloaded one but to be honest it's a different kettle of fish to most apps and difficult to see how others have put things together. Good to hear what it can do though, and my admiration for what you guys have produced has certainly increased!

@Coloobar said:
    To me the grooves this app produces sounds like it was made by a one-armed drummer. It sounds super linear and strange to my ears, like there's an internal rule that only one drum can be hit at a time.

I think that's probably true when you first start using it, though no more so with other drum apps, but with a bit of practice and tweaking it can do a lot more - worth listening to the tracks on Soundcloud as there's a lot more complexity than in the vids. I think more experienced users can take this beyond what most drum apps can produce.

Think I need to do some serious manual reading with this one.

• DD is one of the apps I use the most. It will richly reward the effort it takes to learn it.

• Don't be intimidated folks! It's easier than riding a surfboard but you can ride these waves even farther. All the buttons make sense but you really only need to worry about the main waves: notes, rests, ties and dynamics to get started.

• @technemedia said:
    Don't be intimidated folks! It's easier than riding a surfboard but you can ride these waves even farther. All the buttons make sense but you really only need to worry about the main waves: notes, rests, ties and dynamics to get started.

Is there a way to make the samples play longer? I tried the sitar sample earlier and it was being clipped short - be nice if there was a way to control the notes so they play longer. I've only had this for an hour so I'm sure there is, but I haven't found it yet! Apologies if there is - I'll get around to reading the manual later :)

• @monzo - when deconstructing an existing composition, look at each wave type and the different slider settings for each. Also look at the CPM and phase dials to see what may have been done with those. The use of grid mode/per track and the number of measures per track are ways to get some interesting rhythms.

@Coloobar - you can certainly get polyphonic sounds in DD. There are a few ways to do it. You can set harmony to 1 or 2 voices, and you can also set multiple tracks to the same instrument or midi channel for two examples.

@technemedia - a great visit indeed and I was impressed with the ideas you have for improvements to DD and potentially new endeavors! Looking forward to seeing what's next! 3000bm....too crazy!

• No!!!!!!!!!
    My Auria pro funds are dwindling away!!!!!
    Synthmaster where are thou!!!!!!
    I just got Crystal Synth XT and I'm so tempted!
    What should I do? (finger hovering over buy button).

• @Musikman4Christ said:... I'm so tempted! What should I do? (finger hovering over buy button).

Touch that button ! :D

• @Musikman4Christ said:
    No!!!!!!!!!
    My Auria pro funds are dwindling away!!!!!
    Synthmaster where are thou!!!!!!
    I just got Crystal Synth XT and I'm so tempted!
    What should I do? (finger hovering over buy button).

I'm not qualified enough yet to say as I've only used it for half an hour, but I can say it's like no other app I have, and I can see why people get attached to it.

Quirky.

• Bought it!
    Downloaded some if fjunkies songs!!!
    Pretty cool stuff!

• It is a very interesting instrument from the point of view that you start to play more by "ear" then by "sight"...there are no sequencer "grid steps" to fill in , but waves to manipulate and you listen to results, totally different approach.

Besides importing one shot samples, loops can be used too, but they have to match length, otherwise they get cut off...

• edited May 2015

Hey @technemedia, can't say how I feel about this app as yet, as it is a new purchase, but, I know it's deep, I like that :)

I'm having issues playing any samples from the piano icon section. I can click on the title but when I press the play/audition button, the app will close to my desktop. This happens when the app is in play mode or not!
    All the other categories play fine.

IPad mini retina. iOS 8.1.2.

Cheers!