Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Guitar Interfaces

Comments

• RCA is phono.

• Paul

Thanks for pointing out my rather absurd brainfart - 1/4" jack to RCA is probably what I meant. Phono to guitar ... whatever. Some cable or other.

• A piece of string with a tin can at each end should work. :)

• Not so common these days but 1/4" jacks were called 'phone' jacks for years.

• Thanks @syrupcore I was going mad trying to remember that! I never heard RCA's called phono jacks, but 1/4 inch was for years called a phone jack.

• Because it was the Telephone Company's manual exchange patch cable format. Came in handy when folks started doing higher quality audio. Back in the day, AT&T knew how to make reliable gear.

• edited October 2013

Hello all,

You can add two new audio interfaces that can be connected to the iPad (2 or later) through the Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit.
    Today we have released a new firmware update and Tools for the UR28M and the UR824 interfaces, now you can use these to record your guitars into the iPad.

Plus a bunch of cool new features and software that we have added for free!

For more details and Demo sounds please follow the links bellow:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/ur824_and_ur28m_version_2_update.html

Best regards,
    GN

• Line 6 Sonic Port is currently the best portable guitar (or other instrument) interface:
    check the link:
    http://uk.line6.com/sonicport/
    It also handily comes with cables for the old 30 pin connector as well as the new lightning port.
    It's great.

• @KongAudio
    Would be sooooo good...
    IF..
    it had midi :\\

• And if it had USB. Can't use this one with the CCK and hub. I can plug the iRig HD in to the hub together with a CMC-PD pad controller and TEControl breath controller. And I'll be adding a USB pedal which is a modified nanokontrol. That even works on the iPhone since iOS 7. But I would like to have an output on the interface like the sonic port. The iRig only has a single in and no out.

• I just bought the ampkit link hd and it includes the lightning/USB/30pin adapter. Works well with jamup/bias/thm overloud/amplitube and it also works with windows pcs modeling like overloud th2 and guitar rig 5 and lepou/tse etc... So I think it's probably the best option.

• So I have a question for those with a but more knowledge than me... I have a Behringer UCA-202. Can I connect two guitars to this and have them both playing on the ipad through, say, BIAS?

• Both through the same BIAS app would be effects on a mono mix of the two. However with two stomp apps, one per guitar, should be OK. However, the 202 is RCA line level input only. You'd need instr preamps to match the guitar output signals to it.

• Hmm ok thanks dwarman. It's just an idea I'm toying with for teaching so that both my students and I can plug into the 202.

• Try this chain:

Behringer Q802USB bus powered mixer, with 2 line/instrument/mic preamps, $80
    JamUp Pro Left channel, AB input
    Amplitube Right channel, AB input
    Master:FX AB filter slot
    Any DAW AB Output slot

For higher quality, replace the 802 by a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Loses the extra RCA inputs/outputs though. $150.

master:FX allows for different chains Left vs Right channel. Might be enough without the other two Apps.

• Or, since you already have the 202, the Behringer 802 (non-USB) mixer at $65, to get the preamps.

• Is the general concensus that the Apogee Jam is the best in terms of sound quality? I just need a single input, and as portable and high quality as possible. I don't need additional outs, or bundled software, really just simple but great sounding hardware option.

Direct lightening instead of an adaptor would be nice too.

• edited November 2013

@Tarekith: I would imagine that the sonic differences between any of the digital interfaces are minimal - Apogee certainly have a great reputation so you can't go wrong with them, but the Line 6 and iRig HD will be very similar to it in terms of sound quality IMO.

Line 6 comes with a lightning cable, and I believe the very latest version of the Apogee does as well, but check with the reseller to be sure.

• @Tarekith -- the Jam has a built in pre-amp, so you can adjust and get the signal levels right. The Line 6 doesn't have any adjustments; my guitars (passive pickups) need to be boosted, but this happens after the analog to digital conversion. The Jam seems to do the amplification in the analog realm, so I suspect they get better digital resolution. While the Line 6 has better connectivity, I find myself gravitating to the Jam; it just sounds a little better and a little warmer to me. If you're just needing guitar input, I'd nudge you towards the Jam. The Line 6 is very good; I just like the Jam a little better.

For stereo input, I've been playing with the Focusrite iTrack Solo. Less portable than the Jam, but both the guitar and vocal inputs sound great, and about the same price.

• Thanks very much, that's exactly the kind of info I wanted to know. One of the guitars I'll be recording is a Taylor acoustic/electric, and the output seems a little low to me.

• @SecretBaseDesign interesting first-hand comparison, thanks for that. I have the Line 6 ATM, but warmth is really important to me sonically (I play a Les Paul), so your post has piqued my interest in the Jam now.

• edited December 2013

I just bought a Jam for $89 at Guitar Center. I like the size and sound, but hate the proprietary cable required.

The Line 6 was tempting with all it's fancy ins and outs, but the Sonic Touch podcast mentioned that the line out of the Line 6 has more latency than the iPad audio out. So who wants that?

Here is the podcast if you want to check it out. It includes a great review on BIAS. The Line 6 talk starts at about 1:11.

• I just saw that Apogee has released a new Jam 96k. Which as far as I can tell is just the same old Jam except it's shiny and supports 96k sample rate. Oh, and it's 30 bucks more than the old one. Not all that thrilling if you ask me. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the iRig Pro in terms of features.

• I too have the Apogee Jam and have been quite happy with it....

Oh and Bias is amazing, but waht a memroy hog!!

• iRig Pro is amazing,the sound quality is extremely good, I plug many fuzz, delay, reverb, synth, drone, noisy pedals into it, and with bias I can obtain the same sound that I have with my Roland JC120, maybe better. ((why using a tube modelling amp if I have a solid state?))
    The only complaint I have with this unit is that It doesn't charge the ipad, it's only mono and it doesn't have a midi output.

• I might be imagining it but it seems BIAS is less of a memory hog once you import your amp into JamUp. I use my old boss GT-10 as a USB input, other pedals with USB might work too.

• I just hooked up my 13yr old Swissonic Studio D USB to my iPad mini and plugged in my Tele and it sounded great!

• @JulianEmdon That's right. Once you import amp to Jamup, you can actually close Bias for more free resources.

• So curious that no one talks about the Guitar Jack 2! My understanding is that it is comparable to the Jam, maybe even a little better overall. I believe you can record vocals and line-in too and I believe it has built-in preamp like the jam.