Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will Audiobus go 32bit?

Just curious if there are plans for Audiobus to go 32bit as well as possibly support 48K (iVCS3 can go 48K, I'm hoping iOS synths will follow suit) sample rate?

Comments

• 24bit would be fine already for me.

• I need @Michael's confirmation but I believe the current IAA-based Audiobus implementation is now natively 32bit float. As for samplerate limitations, I've never been sure about that wrt AB.

• I tend to use IAA as it allows me all sample rates and bit depths supported by iOS. However IAA doesn't seem to be as well implemented in some apps as AudioBus is. I'd use AudioBus more but for me...Why sacrifice on quality?

• What I am saying is that the old "audiobus is 16bit" mantra is no longer accurate, since it uses IAA under the covers for all of its fuctionality now. Just waiting for @Michael to validate my claim. Also to explain if there are any known samplerate limitations.

• If that is true then it passes data as equally as IAA then.

• edited April 2015

Jesse's right: it's natively using 32-bit floats now =)

Still 44.1 samplerate; I've been working on broadening that but it's a bit of mucking about.

• Good to know. I realize it's a bit of a supply and demand situation. iVCS3 is the only iOS synth that does 48K. Though frankly I still don't understand that if an iOS synth is using code not samples why there is a cap. It should just record at whatever your host recorder sample rate is.

• No doubt there're a few cases where sample rate actually makes no difference to the developer, but I'd say those are few in number. It's usually a bit more complicated than that because there may be other components in the app that assume (if not actually rely on) a certain sample rate. Making an app sample-rate-aware (able to work at any sample rate) does involve a bit of work, and an ongoing support load. Usually it's easier to stick with one sample rate, and sidestep the potential bugs and headaches.