Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Experiment now solved!

What I want to do is drive SoundCanvas with 2 instances of Different Drummer. I have an iPad4 and mini retina. One instance of DD will be dedicated to the drums on channel 10. The other instance will be for bass, harmony, and melody. Synchronization is the trick. Oh yeah...SC is on the mini retina, since the iPad4 can't run it.

I've tried a host of approaches, including using MidiBus, MidiBridge, Apollo, and MidiFlow, but can't pull it off. The original idea was to run MidiBus on my iPhone5 to provide clock over wifi. I figured that the latency wouldn't matter, since both iPads are on the same LAN. The other element was to use Apollo to get the midi data from the iPad4 to the mini retina and into SC. I also needed MidiBridge in the mix to set PCs for the SC.

The problems I saw was getting both instances of DD to start, or some midi loop, which ramped up the clock on one or both instances of DD to it's max clock rate.

I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some advise on what I might be doing wrong or a better approach than what I've come up with.

Comments

• Bump....I realize may people might not have DD or SC, but substitute any sequencer/sound source, and that should translate pretty well.

• 184 views and not one single suggestion/thought/comment on how to get midi clock wirelessly to two iOS devices???

• Don't have a suggestion, just questions. Does Sound Canvas, DD and Midibus (as Clock) work on a single device reliably? Not all Apps seem to play well with others in the world of Midi. If yes, then does distributing just those Apps between the 3 devices work reliably (iPhone - MidiBus, mni - SC, iPad4 - DD), or does the one instance of DD still freak out?

• I can get it working well on one device. I even had it working across two devices at one point, but it didn't last long. I think I was using MidiBus and MidiBridge on the iPhone, but I haven't been able to get back to that point.

It seems that keeping the connections up and keeping the clock solid have been the main culprits.

• @funjunkie27, I've run clock via Ad Hoc Wifi connection to my PC, clock sent by the iPad to Reaper on the PC, this had reasonably success, it took about a bar for SSP to take up correct position and start recording then all worked well, but was not a 100%, 1:1 recording but reasonably close. One thing that puzzled me though if I set the BPM in Reaper to a different lower BPM than was set on the iPad this caused midi drift and strange artefacts in transmission of the midi data, still at a loss as to what was happening, I just set the BPM's to the same value and all was well again, hope this info is of help, but if memory serves, can't midibridge initiate a network session, if so try a small test from one iPad to the other, maybe swapping out different apps that send and receive clock, as we know clock can be quirky from one app to another, never mind over wifi.

• @funjunkie27 Sorry my friend, I'm just not smart enough to help. Spirit's willing, noggin's weak.

• Once upon a time I might have suggested WIST but I gather that's broken now and wasn't that wonderful anyway. Beyond that I can't think of anything that you haven't already tried that doesn't involve hardware.

• Thanks guys. DD doesn't support WIST anyway, but I had considered that.

@knewspeak - Midibridge can initiate a network connection, and it seems that it should support multiple hosts, but I can't get it to maintain a connection for long, and I'm not clear on why it keeps dropping.

I got sidetracked today...monthly jam, so it was worth it, but I plan on hitting it again tomorrow.

• Hi there, @funjunkie e.a.
    I have been thinking about network session peculiarities this week and came over this thread.
    Of course I have tried out your idea, and with 'link' having arrived in the meantime, suggest that you could update the thread title now to successfully failed solved (;
    Fortunately there's Thumbjam; simply by opening it and selecting the host in settings (bottom) makes the connection responsive.

A little late here, so can't definitely confirm ab remote & bluetooth over midi functionality (still conflicting results), greetings, crs

• Thanks for the reminder @crzycrs. Link is a godsend for this sort of project. I still haven't put it to use with SoundCanvas, but I can easily sync two instances of DD, so I don't see any reason that I can't accomplish this now. I'll do a full test this weekend.

• Yes, will also try further.