Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Split Midi: Using Half the Keys for One Sound and the Other Half for Another

Ideally, I'm interested in a way to split the keys I play with my left hand to one app and send the keys I play with my right hand to another, without having to use multiple keyboards/midi controllers. Is that possible in any way, shape or form? Granted, there probably isn't anything to detect exactly what my left or right hands are playing specifically, so I imagine that whatever solution exists would involve designating a specific key as the split key, and keeping my left hand below it and my right hand at and above it.

Open to physical solutions as well as app/software solutions if they exist.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• The Midiflow app can split ranges of notes into separate zones. That can do what you want, but I think it also depends on how the MIDI control is implemented in the specific apps you want to control.

Many controller keyboards have a similar feature built into their hardware, where you can assign different zones to trigger different MIDI channels, but again, I think it requires the ability to set the apps to receive on separate channels, which some don't seem to allow.

I'm pretty new to iOS MIDI, so perhaps someone else can provide a more definitive answer.

• MidiBridge will let you set a split point and let you choose which midi Chanel to send each half to.

• Definitely agree with Midiflow. Same developer as iMidiPatchBay, with midi clock sync, a familiar interface. Either way a very responsive and good developer. He helped me out with my issues I was having with the app.

• A bit retro, but the old DX7 with the E! expansion impements a thing they call "rolling split", which figures out where the split should be based on where it thinks your hands are.

Usually splits get different channel numbers. Most (though not all) iOS Apps can distinguish between channel numbers. MidiBridge and MdiFlow have both been mentioned as utilities that can do this for a keyboard that is not itself doing the splits. Since you saw the need to ask the question, you might find MidiFlow easier to grok.

• edited March 2015

Yamaha DX7? Rolling split sounds interesting and useful. I have a Novation MiniNova synth (I plan to play sounds from both it and the iPhone simultaneously). It has midi channels but no split option, so I'll need the app solution. Now I just need to see if I can connect it to my iPhone via the iPad USB camera connection kit. I'd rather not spend near $100 for the iRig midi. Thanks everyone for your feedback and recommendations!