Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How does the Air 2 perform now?

Thanks to the feedback in a previous thread, I've whittled my upgrade choice to a 64gb Air 2. With all the reports of issues on the forum though I'm still unsure of the performance I'll get, so before I take the plunge it'd be good to know if any potential issues remain.

So are there still issues running an Air 2 with the current iOS with certain music apps (e.g. Gadget, Auria etc.), and how bad are they (do they perform worse than an Air 1 for example)?

Can you run Audiobus chains as well (or better) than on an Air1 or are there issues with this as well?

If there are still problems with the current iOS, would they be fixed by app updates, or the forthcoming iOS 8 update?

Sorry for starting another thread full of questions, but I'd like to get specific Air 2 feedback and find out about potential issues before I buy.

Thank you - I'm nearly off that fence!

Comments

• One of the main bugs on the Air 2 which is affecting Auria, Gadget and other apps is the scrollview bug, which causes glitches when there is animation on the screen and CPU load goes over a certain level.

Fortunately that's been fixed the the latest 8.3 beta 3 :-)

I'm not aware of other problems, but will be happy to test what I can, as I have an Air 2 with the latest beta.

As a quick test on the performance now that the bug has been fixed, based on a simple test with one of the more demanding (CPU wise) synths in Gadget (Phoenix): On the Mini Retina (=Air 1 processor) I could run 16 tracks with some stuttering. On Air 2 with the latest beta I can run 25 without any stuttering and about 27 with the same amount of stuttering as the Mini Retina.

So based on that simple test, the Air 2 is about 68% more powerfull than the Mini Retina (Air 1 processor).

Spec wise it should be at least 50% more powerfull since it has 3 cores, also the Mini is clocked slightly lower (which might account for the 68% I'm seeing), so it seems that you can expect at least 50% more power = 50% more synths/polyphony etc.

• edited March 2015

128gb is the daddy

I would wait for iOS 8.3 though

• Wow thank you, that's very impressive. Is it easy to get hold of the new beta? I assume performance in Gadget etc. will be limited with the current iOS.

• edited March 2015

Good feedback, cant wait for the update

• I recently bought an air2 and am not experiencing any problems at all, granted I don't seem to stress it like a lot here do. I am happy to use it with ios8.2 until 8.3 becomes public. Most of my music is recorded audio or sampled stuff played into Auria and recorded as audio, usually less than a dozen tracks or so. I just apply a few fx after things are recorded so I usually have processor use at less than 20 or 30%. The performance available in the air 2 for me was worth the purchase even if I have to wait a bit for 8.3 or 9 and full performance. When I get those, I'll dive into gadget and find out what that is all about. Actually I already have gadget but haven't had the time to try it much yet. I'm not much of a beta tester so I'll just be happy with what I have and wait till its public. I don't plan on buying a watch anyway!!!

• I'm in love with my 128GB Air 2 and that's the reason why i was extra frustrated with this scrollview shit.It's the (first) near perfect tablet for my needs after this will be fixed.And most probably the first iPad i'll keep for longer than one upgrade cycle.Finally theres enough power and Ram (you'll love the 2GB) for my Auria needs.If apple would now improve the handling and reliability of IAA...but first the scrollview bug :)

• ^^^^^^

This

• edited March 2015

Thanks guys, that all sounds very positive. Initially I was thinking of getting something cheap to bridge the gap until the Pro comes along, but since we don't really know what/when/if it'll materialise, it makes sense to get something decent now instead. Considering I've had my iPad 2 for four years, i do tend to get my money's worth out of them!

• I've been very happy with my Air2 as well, as long as I keep the CPU useage down (which really isn't that hard for me), not a single problem. The extra RAM is great, the non-glare screen is nice to have for just about everything, and the front glass feels way better than my Air1 did. Definitely recommended.

• Also a big Fan of my Air 2. Upgraded from an iPad 2 to the Air and then the Air 2 a year after, due to the better CPU and more RAM. I agree with @CrabMan this is one awesome tablet that I plan to keep for several years.

• @Tarekith said:
    I've been very happy with my Air2 as well, as long as I keep the CPU useage down (which really isn't that hard for me), not a single problem. The extra RAM is great, the non-glare screen is nice to have for just about everything, and the front glass feels way better than my Air1 did. Definitely recommended.

Thanks yes the screen gets good reviews. Do you use a stylus? I've read of a few issues using styluses due to the refresh rate, or something.

@Peter321 said:
    Also a big Fan of my Air 2. Upgraded from an iPad 2 to the Air and then the Air 2 a year after, due to the better CPU and more RAM. I agree with CrabMan this is one awesome tablet that I plan to keep for several years.

Thanks @Peter. I'm upgrading from an iPad2 as well so I think I'll notice a bit of an improvement!

Has anyone had any issues with wifi connectivity? There seems to be a lot of complaints on the Apple forum about iPad Air 2's dropping connections, though whether this is iPad Air 2 specific, or an iOS8 issue I'm not sure. One of the issues with the iMac I bought was that it kept dropping the connection - maybe it's down to the newer hardware.

• No problems with connectivity here. I upgraded from the iPad 2 as well. I haven't needed to freeze tracks in Auria yet, but I don't usually need more than 10-15 tracks.

• @supanorton said:
    No problems with connectivity here. I upgraded from the iPad 2 as well. I haven't needed to freeze tracks in Auria yet, but I don't usually need more than 10-15 tracks.

Thanks for the confirmation.

10 - 15 tracks - luxury!

• I never have problems with wifi connectivity.

• @Crabman said:
    I never have problems with wifi connectivity.

Do you ever have any issues with other apps, apart from Gadget? I read on a site today someone complaining about iVCS3 and Animoog, and also saw a video showing bad performance with Animoog and another couple of apps via Audiobus, compared to Air1. These were both from around October last year so maybe the issues have been fixed? Just wondered what other apps you're running and if they're preforming ok?

I'm pretty close to pressing the buy button now, Mrs Monzo has give it the thumbs up so just want to clear any other Audiobus or music app related performance glitches first....

• The only real problems i have (apart from some IAA problems that everybody has)seem all related to the scrollview bug.I rarely use AB so i can't tell any differences to my previous mini retina with iOS7.I don't use Animoog much,not only on my Air 2.Apps affected by the scrollview bug as well are Alchemy,Nave,iMini,iProhpet (but not iSem)...maybe even more but this are the ones i'm sure about (along Auria,Cubasis and Gadget)

• @monzo said:
    10 - 15 tracks - luxury!

Even on my ipad2, in auria I had 30 tracks going regularly. Freeze, be judicious with effects, in can work. Get in that habit, and when you get a more powerful iPad you'll be able to do much more while keeping the same practices.

• @monzo said:
    Mrs Monzo has give it the thumbs up

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there.... (Vince Lombardi)

• edited March 2015

@Crabman said:
    Apps affected by the scrollview bug as well are Alchemy,Nave,iMini,iProhpet (but not iSem)...maybe even more but this are the ones i'm sure about (along Auria,Cubasis and Gadget)

Nave is one of my favourite synths at the moment - what sort of issue does the scrollview bug create? I'm able to use Nave without any issues even on my iPad2 - I don't really want to spend money and have less functionality than I have at the moment.

I noticed mention that apps featuring animation were affected - which would mean Soundscraper and quite a few other would be affected - does anyone know if this is the case?

@mrufino1 said:

30 tracks in Auria with an iPad2? Wow, I've been holding off buying Aria until I upgrade but that sounds pretty darn good.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there.... (Vince Lombardi)

I think it's two steps forward and one step back at the moment - just when I get close to hitting the buy button something crops up to put me off.

I'm concerned about this darned scrollview bug as it could mean I spend loads of cash on something that makes my apps run worse than they do now. There's a supposed fix, but it means I'll have to install a beta iOS, and some have said they haven't been able to get access to it.

If the current iOS will run my favourite apps (Thor, GarageBand/soontobeAuria, iMS20, Turnado, Audiobus, iFretless, iVCS3, NaveAUFX effects, Thumbjam, Elastic Drums etc.) at least a bit better than my iPad2 then I'll be happy, and if I can run more than three at once even better. I can live without more than 5 Gadget tracks as I'm doing that already but if there are other issues affecting the apps above then there doesn't seem much point in upgrading. Add to that concerns about using a stylus and Wifi issues (for some), and you can see why I'm almost permanently stuck on that fence.

Slightly pressing for me for as well as GarageBand making recording now a no-no it's also getting to the end of the tax year...and so it's now or leave it for 6 months...

• @monzo said:
    it could mean I spend loads of cash on something that makes my apps run worse than they do now.

I don't think you need to be worried about that, Mr. iPad2 from 2011 ;-) You'll be amazed.

• After upgrading from an ipad 3 which scores just under a ipad 2 in geekbench, things I noticed were, how light it is, feels better now I have a case for it. Also the speakers are very rumbley < not sure if that's a word, but it can be now, at first I was like feck, but then I realised it was like having a rumble pad for gaming and doubles as a way to feel the bass on youtube clips without using headphones.

As I didn't have any new ios devices, ios8 looked gorgeous, all those nice transparencies, I'm used to it now but for a couple of weeks using safari or pulling down the notifications pane, made me a little excited, simple minds, simple pleasures. Touch I.D, omg, it's fantastic, haven't set it up with one password yet to unlock it, also don't use it for app store purchases as me and my munchie share the same apple I.D for the store, but wouldn't hesitate to use it other places after seeing how well it works, unless your digits are wet.

Music has been a mixed bag, gadget became a pita, as I use the edit window quite a bit, ios 8.3 gives me hope though, is amazing how much more you can do on it upgrading from an old device tho. Was using turnado in standalone and an ab insert, it performed at a similar level as my iPad 3, crackling, glitching when using the x-y pads with certain fx's, got a feeling that maybe be sorted in 8.3 too.

Using things like audiobus really opens up with a newer pad, can run multiple lanes now comfortably and experiment more without my ipad groaning under the weight. I notice little speed improvements when rendering in art apps, using fractal apps, saving images to library etc, haven't tried any styluses yet but some of the wacoms I was looking at didn't list air2 support, no sure what has happened but stylus support seems better on bt 4/le devices pre air 2.

I got the 128gb and have 31gb left, haven't started doing any photography or video yet, camera still has a lot of noise in lower light, but as the back is flat, I can fit old lenses easier than my ipad 3. Find its a lot faster on wifi, haven't had many problems with it wifi wise, overall if ios 8.3 fixes some of the music issues I'll be very happy with it, as I only notice things in a few music apps, loving the extra horse power cpu wise, double ram and most important for me 128gb of space, as it's stopped me from app juggling for now.

• edited March 2015

@monzo: The issues is (similar to the other apps with this problem) :using it as IAA fr example (in Cubasis)and audio starts to glitch when Nave is in the foreground but is working fine if it's in the background.That is within a project that doesn't use so much CPU because cubasis has this problem on it's own when i hit a higher cpu mark.If the glitches occur (in cubasis)it helps to close the inspector on the left.But it will glitch nonetheless if you reach a cpu usage of roundabout 45-50%

• mmpmmp
    edited March 2015

@Monzo Oh buy the thing already! ;-) Or stop worrying and postpone your decision until 8.3 gets released publicly then ask again how well your apps perform or whether the bugs have been fixed.

• I haven't had any serious issues don't do any crazy AB routes though

• So I've been lurking and absorbing all of the positive comments on air 2 and ios 8 to the point of almost forgetting myself and running to my nearest apple store and getting it. Fortunately folks like @mister_rz brought me back to reality. Until 8.3 rolls out and I hear all of you guys raving how amazingly it performs under all sort of multi app fashion in the tangible world, I'll be holding my 1gb ram and 7 close to my chest protectively. Sorry to chicken out.

• edited March 2015

@Hmtx said:
    I don't think you need to be worried about that, Mr. iPad2 from 2011 ;-) You'll be amazed.

Hope so!

@mister_rz said:

Thank you for the detailed response - useful info in there. Overall sounds good, bit worried about Turnado as I use that a lot, and the stylus thing is a bit of a pain.

@Crabman @Jose_Bee - thanks for the info.

@mmp said:
    Monzo Oh buy the thing already! ;-) Or stop worrying and postpone your decision until 8.3 gets released publicly then ask again how well your apps perform or whether the bugs have been fixed.

I can't really, I need to make a decision by the end of the week. My preferred choice is the Air 2, but if I chicken out over the issues I'll go for an Air 1....

@supadom said:
    So I've been lurking and absorbing all of the positive comments on air 2 and ios 8 to the point of almost forgetting myself and running to my nearest apple store and getting it. Fortunately folks like mister_rz brought me back to reality. Until 8.3 rolls out and I hear all of you guys raving how amazingly it performs under all sort of multi app fashion in the tangible world, I'll be holding my 1gb ram and 7 close to my chest protectively. Sorry to chicken out.

I thought mister_rz's comments were generally positive towards the Air 2. It's not perfect, but nothing is and it sounds like a lot of the issues are iOS8 related rather than new hardware. Do you have an Air1? If so and I was in your shoes I'd probably stick with that for now, but (hopefully) even an Air 2 with issues is going to be an improvement on my iPad2. I think Doug from TST uses an Air 2, and I'm always impressed with the performance in his videos.

Sorry to come across like a flippertygibbet, I'm just a bit nervous after my iMac purchase a couple of weeks ago. I knew of some of the issues it had, but then discovered some more and had to send it back. I don't want to do that again with the Air 2, or Apple will ban me from buying their things.

• edited March 2015

Writing that it is musically equivalent to iPad 3 doesn't do air 2 any favours.
    Yes I'm on air 1 and the only glitch I ever hear is when I use resampling filter in sunrizer or crush in turnado. Didn't mean to boast just feels like ios 8 and consequently iPad air 2 are still quite a bit off when it comes to using multiple apps. I really hope that gets sorted in 8.3 if not 9 which is not that far ahead.
    I'm sure you'll be OK getting air 2 @monzo you just need to lower your expectations even though coming from an earlier gen iPad will definitely feel great.

• @supadom

I've just tried turnado again using the same audio file and fx setup, as the other week I was on ios 8.1.3 and have updated to ios 8.2 since, have to say to my shame it was loads less glitchy, only had a few crackles and maybe one or two glitches due to clipping. Tried this in standalone, airplane mode on, no other apps open or in the background, now I can redo the files I recorded last week:), my comparison to the ipad 3 was in regards to the number of glitches and crackles since getting the air 2, ipad 3 was usually less prone to glitching, even though being pushed to the limit. As we're about halfway through the upgrade cycle I'd hold on to the air, grab the air 2 for a bargin when the 3 lands or just get the air 3, unless there is something like extra ram you'd find helped loads in the meantime.

@monzo

If you have to make a decision before the tax year is up, I'd say go for it, ios 8.3 is rumoured to be out in april and if you find its not fit for purpose after the update lands you'll be able to get a refund and grab an air or swap it with supadom for his air, you might have to get him drunk first tho.

Here is the fx setup I was running in turnado.

• Here are some gratuitous benchmarks from geekbench 3, single core and multi core performance, note where the ipad 2 and 3 land.