Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Unconventional compositional apps like different drummer? (Midi)

I've been using DD with Gadget and getting some really interesting results, stuff i wouldn't normally come up with so i'm looking for apps like it that again take advantage of the iPads touchscreen, not your typical step or midi sequencer, just a nice clean intuitive interface.

I can only think of Gestrument and scalegen off the top of my head so curious what else is out there that might be slept on or overlooked, needs to work with ios8 though. There is Lemur but i don't use as it's not on the bus, if it was AB compatible that would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tall order, as I don't think there's anything out there quite like DD, but Oscilab comes to mind, although I don't think it will do much with midi out (hope I'm wrong on that.)

• TC-11 and TC-data.

• edited March 2015

@funjunkie27 Forgot to say i've got Oscilab and that familiarity really helps with DD but they don't have to have that type of interface, it's more the way you create and interact with sound like with Gestrument or Ondes.

@Fitz, thanks, my brains not working tonight. Time to do some research on those two apps. :)

• The dev is working on MIDI out for Oscilab.

• StepPolyArp, when used with a full bank of drums (128 notes) can produce interesting results. Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer's remix function is quite cool for drums. Beatsurfing and Koncreet Performer can be fun if mapped nicely. DrumJam produces nice variations and fills. Figure and iKaossilator never disappoint. Orphion makes one kind of weirdness. Glitchbreaks makes another kind of weirdness. Gumdrops, Seekbeats, Tweakybeat, Drumperfect, ...

• @dokwok2 said:
    The dev is working on MIDI out for Oscilab.

Excellent! I had meant to email the dev about sample import but that's even better. :)

@Zetagy it's just midi i'm looking for, i'm pretty much covered for arps and sequencers but ChordPolyPad actually looks really good. I need to take a close look at Konkreet, i think it'll either be that or TC-Data, depending on which has the steeper learning curve! ;)

• Yellofier, Quincy, BitWiz, Lemur, MobMuPlat, Attractor, Effectrix, Egoist, GlitchBreaks, Samplr, Sunvox, Virtual Ans, Wilsonic, Sector, VividTracker are all examples of apps that can take different approaches to creating music.

• edited March 2015

@musikmachine @dokwok2 so happy to hear about Oscilab midi out-! always dug that UI

• Poly.

Lovely, semi random midi out...

• so happy to hear about someone else asking for sample import !!!

• @Zetagy said:
    StepPolyArp, when used with a full bank of drums (128 notes) can produce interesting results. Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer's remix function is quite cool for drums.

what's up with the yamaha remix function?

• edited March 2015

off topic (I missed the midi piece)

• @Paulinko I'm just looking for stuff that sends midi but i updated the thread title so it's clearer as DD does both.

@Zetagy yeah that is great and that's what i'm talking about; the GUI. Stuff like Oscilab, DD and Konkreet take advantage of that.

@Matt you mean StepPolyArp?

So does TC-Data have a lot of user templates available? I searched around for demos, found a few good ones of TC-11 but i want to control other synths so i'm assuming everything that TC-11 does i can do with TC-Data and other instruments?

And finally does it run well on ios8???

Cheers!

• @kobamoto said:
    so happy to hear about someone else asking for sample import !!!

Never quite got to that stage lol but hearing about midi out makes me wonder if he already is unless the drums will output midi as well?

• Changeling

• @kobamoto about YMMS remix function, it's not exactly a UI thing but it does have settings to apply different rhythms and harmonies to existing patterns. Check this thread out:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/117907/#Comment_117907

• @musikmachine said:
    So does TC-Data have a lot of user templates available? I searched around for demos, found a few good ones of TC-11 but i want to control other synths so i'm assuming everything that TC-11 does i can do with TC-Data and other instruments?

And finally does it run well on ios8???

Hi. Tc-data comes with 64 presets that represent a fair number of the over 300 triggers and controllers available. It is very deep. Unfortunately these presets are not list on their web page. Doug at TSTR did a demo with Magellan that shows some of the preset screens. I highly recommend TC-Data. Works well on ios8. It is an OSC generator too.
    Truly a unique touch screen interface for midi.
    http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/

The user guide is available here. While I have TC-11, I really won't be able to give you a comparison since I really prefer TC-Data as a midi note/event generator for many of the fabulous iOS synths and sample players like bs-16i and sampletank.
    http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-data/tc-data-user-guide-1.0.pdf

One of my favorite uses is to set up a number of midi note modules and then trigger them with the drag feature. Currently there are short, medium, and long drag triggers and a trigger for touch began (trigger as soon as touch is sensed). Drag period is read as a number of pixels moved by the touch before triggering. Apply those to the note on, set up some meaningful intervals/scales in the note modules, velocity controls, and you can sweep across the screen and generate some really amazing "sequences".

Note. I did report a bug with the recent update where drag triggers fail to wait for the drag touch before triggering. Waiting patiently for a fix:(.

• I bought it, had a brief play and can see some amazing scope for it with the controls. Will update tomorrow as I may have some questions. Seems like a really deep app anyway and we'll implemented.

• Hi @musikmachine

No, mean "Poly". There's an app simply named Poly that's very nice. Uses a UI based on rings and pulses to create generative type rhythms and melodic phrases. Good for strange syncropated rhythms.

It can send midi out to multiple channels.

It's really easy to get going with too.

I'd recommend it.

• edited March 2015

@Matt i like it! Think that's the first time i've done polyrhythms that way, really intuitive. It's great to get away from the grid.

Oh and has anyone used beatsurfing? looks like it has potential. :)

• @Matt if you see this can you set up the midi notes with poly; does it hook with Gadgets' drum machines ok? Cheers.

• Nevermind, got it. All good!

• edited March 2015

@musikmachine just saw this. How you getting on with Poly? I really like it.

• Great! Recorded some crazy dubstep beat into Gadget, kinda messy but it's better than manually inputting everything across 16 bars.

Got into DD last night and it's awesome, one of the best sequencers i've used on any platform, just amazing so between those and TC-Data i'm pretty much covered now.

• I've recently got into Different drummer too and I love it, after hating it for the first hour!.... it's got a difficult interface to get used to. It seems really stable too which is a bonus in this IOS8 era. Lots to learn. I haven't quite got into creating a whole sequence with it yet, but it's a really deep piece of kit.

Poly too I love in a more minimalist way. The only problem I have with these generative style apps is the workflow with other apps. At the point I'm close to what I want, they are hard to adjust in the usual way, but I've started to record different drummer parts into Gadget which I'm hoping will help me finish stuff I start with it :)

• Working on using TC-Data for lead (Z3ta) with DD holding down the rhythm after @musikmachine mentioned it. Pretty fun, but struggling with locking the scale in TC-Data a bit.

• @musikmachine said:
    Matt if you see this can you set up the midi notes with poly; does it hook with Gadgets' drum machines ok? Cheers.

I've had a play with Poly into Gadget and it works well. I tend to use an external midi clock when recording to drive both apps such as the one in Loopy.

• @Carnbot said:
    I've recently got into Different drummer too and I love it, after hating it for the first hour!.... it's got a difficult interface to get used to. It seems really stable too which is a bonus in this IOS8 era. Lots to learn. I haven't quite got into creating a whole sequence with it yet, but it's a really deep piece of kit.

Poly too I love in a more minimalist way. The only problem I have with these generative style apps is the workflow with other apps. At the point I'm close to what I want, they are hard to adjust in the usual way, but I've started to record different drummer parts into Gadget which I'm hoping will help me finish stuff I start with it :)

Yeah i had to crack open the manual last night, really well written, it's just knowing what all the symbols mean, once you get it you'll be rockin'. :)

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Working on using TC-Data for lead (Z3ta) with DD holding down the rhythm after musikmachine mentioned it. Pretty fun, but struggling with locking the scale in TC-Data a bit.

It's stuff like that that i'm still trying to figure out!

• @Carnbot said:
    I've had a play with Poly into Gadget and it works well. I tend to use an external midi clock when recording to drive both apps such as the one in Loopy.

That's what i didn't do but i thought i had Gadget synced to Poly but with another sending master clock should be able to get things synced up.