Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

All Along the Watch Tower - an iOS music app developer collaboration

This is a cover of All Along The Watchtower, recorded entirely with iOS virtual instruments as performed by their respective creators. Vocals were recorded directly into an iPhone (no external hardware). Mixing was done in GarageBand on Macs to simplify collaboration.

There are many excellent examples of iOS-based electronic music, but we feel that rock is under-represented. We banded together to explore getting a great rock sound using nothing but iOS instruments.

• Vocals - Adil Sherwani (guitarism)
  • Lead guitars - ThumbJam through AmpKit via Audiobus
  • Rhythm guitars (riffs) - iFretless Guitar through Amplitube via Audiobus
  • Rhythm guitars (arpeggios and chords) - guitarism clean + through AmpKit via Audiobus
  • Bass guitar - iFretless Bass
  • Drums - DrumJam

Comments

• As I've said before - it's awesome how Audiobus brings together not just music apps but their creators and developers :) I met these two guys right here! Hope you guys like it.

• Great cover guys!!

• I like the graphic. Thanks Jesse!

• Some good guitar sounds in there and great vocals! Nice! :)

• Very cool! It's awesome that you all, who are essentially competitors, can come together in the spirit of collaboration and community. Bravo!

• A great version and I think it is wonderful that the developers have collaborated themselves to do this!

• So impressive! I leaked it to Tim at discchord.com

I hope you guys don't mind =)

• Great vocals adil. Not many people can get away with singing that song.

• Great job all round...well done guys...enjoyed that!

• That was so awesome! Adil! I had no idea you could even sing, much less so well. One of the best things to come out of Audiobus if not the best. Awesome, awesome. Liked and shared!

• Gracias folks - yeah in my current band I'm on bass guitar and lead vocals, ironically it's the guitar that I'm really rusty with these days.

@jesse_ohio We don't really consider ourselves competitors per se. In fact I'd say that guitarism, iFretless Guitar and ThumbJam are mutually complementary. As this recording demonstrates, they each do things that the others don't, and come together to give you the full range of guitar-based techniques - guitarism for chords and arpeggios, iFG for riffs and TJ for solos. Like Voltron. Or Devastator :)

That said, the idea of competitors-turned-collaborators sure makes for a better story :) We should have some band fights to add some drama. Maybe a reality TV show...

• BAND FIGHT!

• Send pics!!

• The band fight pics would be of us fighting over the internet. It might not be as exciting as you imagine.

• Great job guys!

Any chance we'll hear purple haze next?

• Great job!

• @gjcyrus No idea what the next one will be yet...

Speaking of more recordings - any update on the similar "Telephone" project that some of you guys were working on?

• @Rhism I submitted a drum and bassline for it. Haven't heard anything from it yet though. ;-)

• @Ryan - that's because I've got a bad bug. I slept over 16 hours (total, not straight) yesterday and still feel like crap today. I'll get something back to you soon.

• edited April 2013

@MrNezumi No problems friend. I wasn't counting you out just saying I haven't heard anything yet :-)) Feel better soon! :-)

• @Ryan Just wrote some words, got a melody and keyboard riff, will try and get something recorded and back to you this evening. :)

• @Rhism Yeah, we all know you're not competitors, at least not in your attitudes, but from a purely business standpoint or to an outsider it might seem that way. This is just further evidence that you're all awesome :)

• Bravo guys :)

• @jesse_ohio It's true wrt outsider perspective. To an extent we do compete - e.g. if TJ and iFG didn't exist guitarism may sell more, and vice versa. But those are very small-scale effects. We believe we can create a win-win for all of us by pushing iOS as a platform for rock music (a rising tide lifts all boats, etc).

• ...and now that headline has made its way to Evolver.fm :)

• Right on. Never heard of evolver but that is cool! :-)

• @Ryan Evolver's a more consumer-oriented music apps blog, and often cross-posts to Gizmodo

• Hmmm this recording just got posted onto another obscure publication's website. It's called time.com. You've probably never heard of it (rubs hipster glasses)

• edited April 2013

Adil man that's amazing
    Well done the AB devs
    ...and they plugged your app.
    Notice a spike in sales?