Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Developer of Auxy is Creating a Drumsampler !!!

so I was excited to find out via this post over at http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/midi-simple-piano-roll-app-gets-useful-auxy-update/#disqus_thread

that the auxy dev is making a drumsampler, they definitely have the capability to make something sweet, so what would you like to see in it and please let him know.

and what are your favorite features that you'd like to see in a drumsampler?

Comments

• I'm all about an MPC-style interface like iMPCPro, only full-featured like Beatmaker2...with a proper mixer, insert effects and file handling like Auria.....

.....and it must be intuitive like Beathawk. :)

• Pretty AND Smart, just like my coffee.

• I love the direction auxys interface is going, it would be nice if they would emulate ableton lives drum racks.
    give us sample slicing and sample editing up the wazoo, give us too many fx, and make it compatible with mp3, flac, ogg, wav, aiff, aif, etc….
    make it compatible with audiobus/IAA and especially audioshares import/export options. ….. but and this is sooooo important keep audio share in the loop but don't rest on kymaticas laurels for your editing, put complete sample editing inside your app pleassssssse, and steal the loop editing button from the R. Nym audio copy app, that button makes it really easy to create seamless loops, and please give us destructive editing so that we don't fill up our devices with excess audio as we need to save as much storage space as possible.

I wish they'd go one of two ways, either turn the auxy interface how it looks right now into the 16 pad style interface with several banks, and make it possible to edit samples inside the cells themselves, layering from inside each cell as well. or

keep the auxy interface for playing sequences and have a seperate page for the 16 pad style interface, I kind of prefer the first idea.

i would pay $50 dollars easy for an app that does all of this and does not shuck and jive it's way into the app store, and I'm talking about an app that does not even have time stretch, if you make the app complete on release and add time stretch in the next update I would pay $10 more for just that update.

• edited February 2015

Dearest Henrik, I wish for

Mixer

playable snapshots, and fun/playable automation
    recordable mutes and solos of pads and of tracks

FX

time shifting fx
    stuttering fx
    the standard bread & butter fx
    side chain compression
    a host of experimental fx, something interesting and inspiring that takes samples and does whacky things to them
    the ability to put fx on samples and then press a button that prints the fxs on the sample in place !!!
    mastering fx….. multiband compression and limiting etc….
    RANDOMIZERS

SAMPLE EDITING

full/complete sample editing
    destructive sample editing to save space
    sample layering- up to 4 samples with individual sample editing features pan, pitch, etc….
    loop button for easy making of seamless loops
    editing of samples inside the sample cell itself…. i.e: imagine editing samples inside a cell in the Samplr app
    so you'd tap a cell and it would open up for you to edit the sample.
    easy naming ,organization, and deleting of samples
    SAMPLE from itunes
    ability to browse/ audition the iTunes library for what you want to sample BEFORE you sample it

SEQUENCER

pattern based
    ability to create tracks of different lengths within a pattern
    Multiple time signatures for patterns
    Merge patterns feature to turn all your little patterns into one pattern (helps with building patt variations)
    allow patterns to have different tempos instead of all patterns only having one global tempo
    recordable mutes solos of pads and tracks
    tap tempo
    tempo go down to the slowest tempo possible, let the users decide how slow they wanna go so they can experiment.
    record live performance into sequencer or into seperate performance sequencer ala abletons session view
    follow actions so that users could use the app like a monome if wanted
    classic quantize and swing options (Not) global but individual track and pad based, with a global option
    RANDOMIZER
    core and virtual Midi so that we can sequence other iPad apps as well as external gear!

File Organization

easy naming, deleting, and browsing/auditioning of audio files specifically from within the sample browser
    drag and drop samples from here to there to everywhere, judicious use of drag n drop wherever possible
    in the app.

and an Intuitive SONGMODE
    audio export of seamless loops
    individual pad export that prints efx
    individual track export
    master export- for a whole song

• hmm, why won't the post display as I typed it? when I go into edit mode it looks correct and readable, then when I save comment it turns into this .

• I get the impression from his comment that they mean to add one to Auxy.

Either way, I don't want it to have a zillion features. I want it to be Auxy like and super clean. DM1's basic feature set is plenty for that environment (for me). I appreciate drum apps that allow kit import vs sample at a time.

• edited February 2015

if he was making just a drum machine app i'd be leaning that way too but in that post he did specifically say 'drumsampler' and asked that guy for feature suggestions….. what do you think about that, in my opinion it doesn't sound like he's talking about a dm1 like drum machine. I'm only asking cause I'm not sure if his post looked like a dm1 esque beatmachine to you or if you just want him to make one in spite of him saying drum sampler?

if he is just interested in making a drum machine then I'd retract this whole thread as I'm not interested in trying to persuade him into making a drumsampler, if that was not what he was saying.

• Yeah, I think it's an in-app drum(sampler/machine). Could be totally wrong though.

There's no 'in spite' of here (though he did mention DM-1 in passing). I would assume the machine part will come in the form of an Auxy track. The sampler part can be as simple as DM-1 for me (load a sample, done), yes, but I'm open to whatever and look forward to seeing what they do.

I think Auxy's best feature, it's key differentiator, is the lack of features. What they seem to be very good at is stripping things to their absolutely bare essentials. I want them to apply that same design philosophy to the drum sampler: make something cool and useful where the app gets out of it's own way. In my opinion, the 'ultimate drum sampler' with all of the features we might want should come from someone else.

• why someone else?
    auxy devs are the perfect people in my opinion to give us a workflow to be excited about that we know intua is prob not going to make happen with bm3, and auxy based workflow for a real drumsampler would be high on my priorities of apps to buy for sure

• edited February 2015

also I just hope that whatever their barebones idea of drumsampler is that it includes sample editing, and management or else it's not a drumsampler

• +1 to everything kobamoto requested!

@syrupcore - Good point about the simplicity part. Why not have it all? Feature filled yet simple to use?

• Hi guys,

Really awesome to hear you're excited about us building more apps! Sorry that I wasn't specific enough but we're not building another app - we're just redoing the drum sampler that we use in the background in Auxy. This will allow us to make better sounding drum kits and add more tweak:ability. The plan is to create really good content so that you have good choices for finding sounds you like within the app.

Our goal is to make Auxy play nice in the ecosystem of other apps and gear, but we're also pretty stubborn about making Auxy sound amazing on its own. It's just that we haven't gotten very far when it comes to developing our sound engine. Have some new engineers working on it now though so will be exciting to take things to the next level for sure.

I do like the idea of being able to import your own samples. In general though, I think there's too much focus on building your own kicks and having that secret hi hat sample that producer so and so is using. Compare for instance to the 808 and 909 which have been around for ages now and made quite an impact in many different genres. Same goes for acoustic drum brands - i.e. I prefer to have someone who's an expert in drum crafting to do the sounds for me and then I can focus on programming beats. Not saying we won't add sample import support eventually, but want to clarify where we're coming from.

@syrupcore: I think you describe our thinking really well. In my view, companies like Steinberg, Ableton, etc. have done a tremendous job at giving us tools with all the features we could wish for. The problem though is that when I get home from work and feel like making some music for fun, I get super tired if I have to sit down in front of a big screen, fire up Logic, and spend some time routing stuff before I can get my ideas down. We're trying to contrast these apps by making something that's direct and stripped down, but still powerful.

Really appreciate all the feedback so keep it coming and we'll do our best to make products that will help you make more and better music!

/ Henrik

• @lenberg said:
    I prefer to have someone who's an expert in drum crafting to do the sounds for me and then I can focus on programming beats. Not saying we won't add sample import support eventually, but want to clarify where we're coming from.

/ Henrik

ohhh I'm crushed :(… as this part of your comment really speaks to me but in a different way I guess, there are just as many of us who craft our own drums and rather than find it something we'd rather not focus on just don't happen to differentiate between that part and programming beats, for us it's one and the same….
    I do however very very very much appreciate you letting us know exactly where you're coming from and Thank you.

• Thanks @lenberg thats great news. You've got a real gem here, make it shine.

• @kobamoto said:
    I do however very very very much appreciate you letting us know exactly where you're coming from and Thank you.

+10 ^ this.

• @syrupcore said:
    +10 ^ this.

Add me on.

@lenberg Stick to your vision (but gives us more stuff!)

• wow for a misunderstanding this topic sure got allot of interest/views, I wonder what dev will be spiritually commissioned by all of this interest to fill the void?

• Are there any drum apps that work with Auxy via MIDI? I tried using DM1, which I'd really prefer, but as usual it didn't play friendly (sadly DM1 has often given me problems w MIDI, so I'm assuming the problem lies there)

• MoDrum is working well for me!

• Might have to give it a shot then, thanks! Id love to be able to Import my own samples on a drum app and trigger via Auxy. One day....

@taroface said:
    MoDrum is working well for me!

• @Sentz for the record Drumperfect works, well, perfectly. Air1/8 etc.

• Can't make it work with DM1 :( The drum machine sees Auxy and vice versa, but no noises Doctor.....wonder if I'm missing something, but the hook-up seems so simple that I fear not...

• Not near my ipad so I can't test them but two questions you probably already have covered: are you guys sure that auxy is both putting out the right notes and that DM-1 has "notes" set up for auxy on the MIDI input screen?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Sentz for the record Drumperfect works, well, perfectly. Air1/8 etc.

Not quite sure how Drumperfect snook under my radar. Checking it out now, thanks man!

• how intuitive is drumperfect to use as a sampling groovebox?

• edited February 2015

I love drum perfect but I wouldn't recommend it as a sampling groovebox.

• I wouldn't either, but it works goddammit! :)

• It's just not oriented in that direction. You could use it that way though. Honestly, I've seen enough posts from you on the subject that I feel pretty good about not recommending it to you for that purpose. It is a great app and easily recommended for making drum beats—just think you'd be let down again if groovebox is your purpose.

• ah thanks, I know you know what i'm talking about