Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roland Sound Canvas Demo and Tour for iPad

The Roland Sound Canvas for iOS is a virtual version of there classic hardware sound modules from way back in the day. It contains way over 1000 sounds but a lot of those are variations on the same sounds. They are for the most part very good sounds though. And at this time of writing it does nor support Audiobus, although the rumor is that Roland are going to add this in a near future update.
It does however have Inter App Audio but at the moment that does not work either.

Setting these little bugs and niggles aside I still really like the app. For me its worth the money just for the voice and vocal sounds alone, they are stunning. It also has excellent orchestral instruments. Plenty of pads and synths, lots of drums and a stack of special effect. Another great set of sounds are the ethnic banks, things like Zithers and Sitars etc.

All in all after the few bugs have been ironed out the Roland Sound Canvas will make an excellent one stop shop for a lot of people needing a particular instrument as part of a project.
http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/roland-sound-canvas-demo-ipad/

Comments

• Thanks Duggie, was curious about this one...reminds me a little of a JV880 i used to own

• You bastardo! You're actually making me get this one, even though, as you mention in the video, it really doesn't work since IAA etc is broken. But I do guess I have a soft spot for these 90s workstation/module-kinda sounds as well. Anyway, good demoing/playing. :)

• edited January 2015

Unfortunately I have no iOS-Device capable of running this at the moment and I don't feel an urge to upgrade my iPad Mini just yet as it's working just fine for me. I will however consider an iPad upgrade once the next generations of iPad's based on the 'A9' decide to show up and by that time I think Soundcanvas for iOS has undergone plenty of updates to make it a viable purchase :)

• Mmmmmm.....love Roland, glad they're here.....but.....one for the future, I hope....

• edited January 2015

Ok I definately do not want or need this but,, the problem with the midi file sounds a lot like your file has a program change option. My Korg m50 does this also and to correct it I have to go into settings and turn off program change so when I load it again it sounds like I left it. On the Korg M50 there is just a little box that I can uncheck, perhaps under your settings it can be turned off?

• Some great sounds, thanks for the demo, loved the vocal stuff! But I'm like Samu and don't have the hardware to run this yet, probably upgrade later this year when hopefully Roland will have put in all the stuff which should have been in from Day1!

• I just thought I should mention that the program change is embedded in the midi file if memory serves me.

• You'd have to save the midi file, external to SC wouldn't you, if I'm not mistaken it's only a player not recorder?

• Are the drums on SC, on channel 10 still?

• I own this app and it does sound superb. Oh please Roland fix IAA or add AB. It also responds to some cc tweaks from Lemur, MIDI Designer Pro etc.,

• After reading further I think the program change would need to be able to be turned off in sound canvas.

• Won't sysex and/or CC, control, FX parameters and routings, filter, resonance, etc...

• In theory if you use an external midi sequencer, to alter PC, bank, CC, sysex for FX?, save the file as .mid SMF. No note info. You then use iFunbox, iTunes to transfer this file to SC, when you load this file it should playback those changes, in essence recall the state you want you're SC to be saved.

• @knewspeak Yes, the drums are on channel 10.

• @knewspeak said:
    In theory if you use an external midi sequencer, to alter PC, bank, CC, sysex for FX?, save the file as .mid SMF. No note info. You then use iFunbox, iTunes to transfer this file to SC, when you load this file it should playback those changes, in essence recall the state you want you're SC to be saved.

>
    exactly.

• Thanks for the video!Although it makes me even more sad that it's not working in AB or as IAA now.

• Like I say, even though it's broke I still like it as a module, lots of very nice sounds, for me it's not a big deal as a midi file player, but the option to edit the file would be cool, so maybe later. What is surprising is the small footprint and the excellent overall sound quality

• Oh I almost forgot, even though I have no interest in this as it is I wanted to say thanks Doug for the tutorial,OOps, Demo, or well you know what I mean.

• @Tritonman2 said:
    Oh I almost forgot, even though I have no interest in this as it is I wanted to say thanks Doug for the tutorial,OOps, Demo, or well you know what I mean.

Erm, walk through

• mmpmmp
    edited January 2015

Interesting...

So, how would I go about recording from one iPad to another?

With one iPad running Sound Canvas played with a Midi keyboard through the lightning connector, and the other running Auria? Air 2 and iPad4.

Is there a simple cable I can use (headphone jack to lightning or headphone/mic jack) or would I need a proper audio interface?

• edited January 2015

I prefer handheld usually and not the polemic

• I use an interface, the griffin studio connect. I do not know of a cable but that would be nice if anyone knows of such a thing?

• @mmp You could try Apollo Remote Recorder for a buck, does audio via wifi between iOS devices in conjunction with Secret Base Design's free Apollo Sound Injector app:

https://appsto.re/us/atTJ1.i

• I tried, somewhat halfhazardly, to connect the headphone out of an iPhone to the headphone in on an iPad using a single cable with stereo 1/8" mini jacks on both ends; from a synth playing on the iPhone to AudioShare record on the iPad. Didn't work! I got all kind of extraneous noise; including what sounded like it was picking up room noise from a microphone.

I will stick to my Griffen StudioConnect or the Berhringer UCA222.

• Apollo won't work as it relies on Audiobus (which Sound Canvas doesn't currently support)

• edited January 2015

@bsantoro said:
    … headphone out of an iPhone to the headphone in on an iPad using a single cable with stereo 1/8" mini jacks on both ends …

You needed to do that with a different cable arrangement. The iPhone / iPad headphone/mic jack is a four conductor 3.5mm jack, and is tip:ring:ring:sleeve, so stereo jacks won’t work. Draw out a diagram of a jack plug and label it like this:

First the tip = headphone L; next ring = headphone R; next ring = earth; last, the sleeve: mic.

As you can see, a conventional stereo 3.5mm jack (I presume that’s what you were using as no other size actually fits) will short out the earth to the mic. Mic impedance itself is normally 1K6 unless the button is pressed, which shorts mic to earth (as the stereo jack also would) and that indicates to the iDevice[1] to do something – for example, accept a call, accept a voice command, stop the music.

If you used a four-conductor 3.5mm jack to jack lead you might get somewhere, but you’d have to do a bit of a chop job on it. Cut the cable and take the headphone left+right connectors from the supplying device and sum them through suitable resistors each, that can go into the final ring mic connector of the accepting device.

[1] and also more modern generation Android[2], and most Nokia Windows phones.

[2] e.g., not the old Sony Ericsson X10 and before, which were wired tip;ring;ring;sleeve = hpL;hpR;Mic;Earth. The Sony Ericsson Arc S and beyond changed to the iPhone arrangement.

• Thanks guys, purchased Apollo Remote Recorder before realizing that it needs Audiobus for input (and before seeing Busker's post), d'oh!

Never mind, only a buck and it does work with AB compatible apps so probably will come in handy at some point anyway...

• edited January 2015

As someone else mentioned in the other Roland Sound Canvas-thread:
    You can purchase TB MIDI Stuff to control the Roland Sound Canvas...

TB MIDI Stuff is really awesome! There you can make GUI for different kind of MIDI-apps...

And, I also love Roland Sound Canvas for iOS! Very nice soundquality and with Audiobus and IAA it will be an very nice tool in the toolbox for many iOS musicians!

• @mmp you'd really need a USB audio interface and a CCK plus most likely a powered USB hub or similar digital audio solution going through the 30 pin or lightening connector of your iOS device. If you use the microphone out with a cable, and an analog adapter (e.g. iRig) such as @u0421793 suggests you'll only get a mono signal and not stereo.

• This is worth it for me for the sounds and virtual midi.