Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fiddlewax Pro Update -- Voice-to-pitch Indication, MIDI In, Moveable Loops, & Quantization Control

Hey everybody!

I wanted to let you know that the latest update for Fiddlewax Pro was just accepted -- look for it to come through in the next couple hours :)

What's New in Fiddlewax Pro 2.2

• Realtime visual pitch detection lights up corresponding notes as you sing. Hold down the "keyboard mode/zoom" button to toggle it on and off.
  • Move samples between loops by dragging its record button left/right to another loop. If you want to retain the original loop (i.e. copy instead of move), just hold down the original loops record button after you've move it ("undo" it).
  • Advanced quantization mode -- select between global quantization (default), and last recorded which lets you set the quantization for each loop recording as you go.
  • Virtual & Core MIDI Input! This one has been a long time in the making, and there are likely still a few kinks to work through (especially with hardware input), but give it a try and let me know if you run into anything so we can make it rock-solid for the next update.
  • Bug fix: iOS7 state saving was crashing (a strange error related to showing the text keyboard when naming a file).

As always, I'd love to hear what you think.

Have a great weekend, and make some awesome music!

Adam

Comments

• @adamkumpf Those are some great features you've added in this update, thank you.

• @adamkumpf said:

• Realtime visual pitch detection lights up corresponding notes as you sing.

That's an interesting feature...would it be possible to play it that way? Handy for humming (or strumming) in melody ideas?

Not live over here yet, but great new feature set!

• Wow, you are the best! Thank you!
    Can I connet midi keyboard also?

• Brilliant, looking forward to the new features coming through. Thanks!

• edited January 2015

@Nivmile - You should be able to connect your MIDI keyboard to Fiddlewax Pro v2.2, but there are a lot of different considerations (in terms of hardware and configuration), so fingers-crossed it'll do the right thing for you.

Since Fiddlewax Pro currently checks for keyboards when MIDI Input is first turned on, I suggest plugging in your MIDI keyboard first, and then going to the Advanced Settings section (in the help/overlay view) and enabling MIDI Input.

• So awesome!!!
    Can't wait. I'm still trying to figure out how to drive other synths with fiddlewax. Little by little. :)

• Hey Adam very nice work. I got the midi input to work with my axiom Air 32 but there's a constant sustain. Thanks.

• @mgmg4871 said:
    Hey Adam very nice work. I got the midi input to work with my axiom Air 32 but there's a constant sustain. Thanks.

I have the same one. Will check when I get the update.

• Thanks @ Musikman4Christ.

• Hey Adam, thanks a lot! Pitch detection will be very useful for me :)

• Brilliant idea, the visualizing of notes. The use case you show in the video is clever and very useful. Can already imagine myself opening fiddlewax pro for this feature alone. Easy way to capture a melody in my head or quickly figure out how to play something on the keyboard like a guitar riff or particular guitar chord voicing. Especially if your guitar is detuned and your brain melts when you try to know which notes you're hitting. :) or soprano ukulele or...

Good stuff!

• I got the same sustain. But by selecting the Audio/Midi option on top, if you quickly select Audio only, it serves like a Midi Panic button. So that stops the sustaining note. I also noted that once i did this, the piano instrument didnt sustain anymore after that. I tried each instrument and the banjo and marimba didn't either. But like th accordian and other organ type instruments did sustain so had to do the midi panic thingy.

I like it though. Just a few things that will get ironed i guess. But its nice to be able to hook up the little keyboard to play piano like that.

Adam, I know this is not the time to ask for features, but just note somewhere for future stuff,
    Would it be too hard to have a Midi Learn feature? So I can midi learn the drum instruments to my PADS on the Axiom Air mini 32. Also the loops would be cool to midi learn so one can activate them remotely from the pads if desired. No rush, but maybe for a future update. Thanks in advance for all your hard work and for making this amazing app that gets me making music. :)

• Great Update, thanks Adam.
    Moving/merging of loops is exactly what I needed for some projects too.

MIDI input works perfectly from my AKAI MPK Mini and from Soundprism, but I have experienced the sustain problems as posted above when triggering from the Yamaha Arp and Drum Pad App.

• Wow. Amazing as usual. Can't wait to see the results of your work! Thanks again!

• Thanks @Musicman4Christ. By the way you can do midi learn on pads on Axiom mini 32. Change keyboard to channel 10, press edit, then pad key, choose drum sound, and press pad you want that sound on. Hope this helps.

• Midi input its a great adittion, now i can make smoother chord progressions using my keyboard rather than to have all the chords in root position using the chords on the fiddlewax screen, but no matter what variation of steps or configurations i tried always get the sustain on all the time. All the Other features are great and i can use fiddlewax the same way as before the update in the meantime.
    My controller is an M-AUDIO keystation 61es, iOS 8.1.3, iPad air 2 if that helps.

• edited January 2015

Thanks for all the detailed feedback everyone. Sorry to hear about the MIDI Input sustain issue -- I'm looking into it and will try to get it fixed ASAP!

What's baffling to me about the sustain issue is that the same control code is running for both virtual and hardware MIDI In, but the held sustain seems to only be happening via hardware... I'll keep digging.

Also, if you input MIDI on channel 10 it should map to the drums instead of the tonal instruments (and drums are auto-off so the sustain shouldn't be an issue there).

EDIT: My current theory is that some keyboards are sending the NoteOff command differently (sending instead a NoteOn command with velocity 0). There is a optimization reason for this (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291892) so I'm hopeful that could be the issue.

Anyone able to see the MIDI Input events from their keyboard with something like the MIDI Wrench app and confirm if that's what's happening? :)

• Thanks!
    It seems that the sustain is not enabled or may his be somehow messed up cause when I enable the sustain button on my controller, I don't really know what mdi command or code it sends, but it just doesn't do anything. Like when I select the piano instrument it doesn't turn off or on the sustain. I know it works cause I tried it with another synth app.
    Thanks Adam!

• @Musikman4Christ - I believe the main issue is not a particular sustain command, but that notes are not turning off for some users when they play MIDI keyboards as an input.

Adding more MIDI input control parameters (like sustain, pitchbend, aftertouch, etc.) is something I'll look into once the more critical MIDI In functionality is ironed out :)

• @adamkumpf I remember that a MIDI note with velocity 0 is supposed to be treated the same as a MIDI note off. Also from googling around, it seems that is correct.

• @adamkumpf is there anyway to force the midi in notes to a scale? or a chord?

• Adam I'm sure you're right. I had this issue with another app, and Dev came up with same conclusion and solution.

• Thanks @mgmg4871. I'll go forward with the change. Hopefully that'll fix the issue for everyone, but even if it isn't, it seems like the correct way it should function and definitely worth making the change.

@RubenDari - For now, it's a 1-to-1 mapping for the keyboard's MIDI note output. Alternative mappings are on the feature request list, so maybe that can be in a future update :)

• Here is the MIDI input events from my AKAI MPK Mini if that is any help.
    (No problems with sustained notes.)

• edited January 2015

@bonso - Thanks for the MIDI input event details.

I've now submitted an update (version 2.2.1) that addresses the MIDI In sustain issue by considering NoteOn with velocity=0 to be a NoteOff command since this is something it looks like a lot of device manufactures do to make the communication a bit faster.

I've asked that the review be expedited so hopefully it'll go through quickly... worst case, it'll be a week out, but fingers-crossed it'll show up before then.

Thank you all so much for sharing all the details as you encountered the MIDI Input sustain bug! In the meantime, I suggest using the Marimba instrument as suggested above (since the note fades away quickly and the sustain is less apparent).

• Thank you Adam. You are a awesome Dev.

• Btw Adam, I don't have that issue on my Korg Micro Arranger, only the sustain pedal does not work with FWP.

• I've been using the piano sound just fine once the sustain bug gets tamed.