Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why none of the big name synths being ported to iOS?

Why aren't we seeing synths like Massive, Sylenth1 or Nexus ported to ios? Is it because of hardware limtiations or some kind of a marketing decision?

Comments

• http://www.u-he.com/cms/
    U-he said they were too tied up with other projects on the desktop to consider iOS.

• I want to see the Roland D50 ported to iOS.

• Roland could do us all a favour and release their Aira 'Plug-Outs' for iOS too :)

• Lots of those VSTs require a pretty powerful computer, iOS hardware is not there yet. And are those smaller developers, who have been getting, say, $150 for their plugins going to accept a tenth as much to sell iOS versions?

• These days it's the other way ;) See Nave and Sunrizer... I wish Mitosynth would follow up...
    Maybe the biggest trouble is the UI and the nature of iOS. Of course you will never see a Massive (or one of the big) for ten bucks.
    In general it should be possible beside those monsters like Omnisphere which needs a lot RAM.
    Of course it would be great someday to buy a synth and i can use it crossplatform where i want. I'm sure some big boys will follow when the hardware grows up but i think the prices grow up too.
    A synth like Zebra would be impossible to use on an iPad mini but a remote control would be great.
    Dune 2 would fit great on a touch screen (but i think it would need more powerful mobile cpu).
    It's also maybe dangerous since i saw a lot negative comments for the price of Nave VST/AU since the iOS version is so "cheap".
    Call me crazy but i think sometimes some iOS synth are really too cheap.

• Why not encourage some of the brilliant developers working on iOS, to can carry on creating brilliant 'stuff' for iOS, I see really innovative apps here on iOS, that just wouldn't work on the desktop TJ, for one, but the list.......

• @Cinebient said:
    Call me crazy but i think sometimes some iOS synth are really too cheap.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

• edited January 2015

And are those smaller developers, who have been getting, say, $150 for their plugins going to accept a tenth as much to sell iOS versions?
    //
    //
    Given the numbers of units out on the market the answer could very well be yes.
    //
    Those polled by Fortune predicted Apple would say it sold 66.5 million iPhones in the quarter that ended on Dec. 27. That would have been an impressive 30 percent more than in the same period a year ago. A few particularly optimistic forecasts suggested iPhone sales might even top 70 million.

Well, Apple didn’t just eclipse the 70 million mark—it shattered it.

Apple sold a record 74.5 million iPhones in the latest quarter, the company said. It also reported record quarterly revenue of $76.4 billion and record quarterly net profit of $18 billion, or $3.06 a share. In the earnings release, Apple CEO Tim Cook called it an “incredible quarter.”
    //
    Korg has already been in the market in a very large way and now we see Yamaha, and Roland, TC Helicon, ect. looking to get a share of those sales so the future could be very good indeed for new synths coming in the near future.

• Let's hope they invest that capital into fixing all the bugs on iOS, not too much to ask is it?

• But creating music is a very small niche.

• IOS vs Desktop - Still worlds apart but slowly, getting closer.

• Still wish Apple would go finally for a Surface pro like thing some day. The best of booth worlds in a (semi) powerful device.
    We will see if that iPad pro comes (.... and when it MUST have at least an advanced iOS).

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Let's hope they invest that capital into fixing all the bugs on iOS, not too much to ask is it?

/
    /
    Yes but that is another whole different topic.

• With slump in iPad sales, and rumours surrounding Android, Apple with not want to let the market they created slip, so the PRO, would seem an obvious way for them to go, as to what PRO will be, I hope not just a bigger screen.

• The iPad Air 2 is pretty powerful now with 2gb of ram. I don't think it will have a problem with runing any of these. and I'll be willing to pay 3 digits for Massive on my iPad.
    I think @bsantoro is right about them being busy with desktop projects, lennardigital is still struggling with 64bit support for sylenth1.

• At least there are Z3TA+ and Thor which have just a few limitations compared too their big brothers.

• I can barely run Serum on my laptop, and even though it is a few years old, it is still way better specced than any iPad currently available....

• I would be happy with Sculpture on an iPad too (this is one of my favourite sound design tools... also awesome for sampling into Mitosynth).

• @Zymos said:
    I can barely run Serum on my laptop, and even though it is a few years old, it is still way better specced than any iPad currently available....

Yep depending on unison, release time etc.. It can bring down the best CPU, Steve's still trying to get better performance but not at the cost of quality, besides he's ruled out a port for iOS, for LFOTool.

• Well there's Alchemy and soon to be released Alchemy 2.... oh wait.

• Z3ta, Korg's Synths, Aturia's Synth are here because they were developed years ago on a spec that iPads can now just reach, Prop Heads stuff is low on CPU usage, so if you are serious about ports, you need to look for lower spec - older stuff, especially if you want to run it with other apps.

• edited January 2015

Thor is definitely not low on CPU usage, though I agree with the rest of your post...
    (Edit- or Z3ta!!)

• Perhaps they figure it would be better business to sell their flagship synths for more than $5.

Just a hunch.

• Maybe they are waiting for an app like Auria Pro to provide a desktop class solution ie:VST like functionality (ie:Fab Filter Twin)...just maybe...

• Most synths have their own individual thing though - a Korg MS20 and MiniMoog look similar but sound completely different. Then there a beasts such as the Arp 2600.....no, you can never have too many synths...

• edited January 2015

I know what you mean - I like new sounds and ways of doing things, but I find AB lets me mix apps together to make different textures, which when layered in a DAW become even wilder. I'm a sucker for a sound mangler too...

• Artist, could say we've got the same old colours, chef's the same old ingredients, but how we bake the cake, that's the magic.......

• I'm going with "because, time".

Korg, Waldorf, Arturia and companies at that scale that have enough working capital to dedicate some staff (or hire a dev shop like retronyms) to make these ports or new creations a reality. A small VST dev shop with 1-3 staff members is likely just getting by. Plus, hard to know what sort of code is under those apps and how hard it might be to actually do a port (vs largely a rebuild).

• I like the notion that Auria Pro's release will encourage the big names to say "why not?"