Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Newbie Questions :) Vocal FX / Mastering / Recording Focusrite iTrack Studio + iPad

edited January 2015 in General App Discussion

Hi there,
i just bought a Focusrite itrack Dock to connect my acoustic-electric guitar and my studio microphone with the iPad...
So, i'm not a total newbie, so i used to work a bit with recording tools on PC (Audition etc.)... So far i have tested Audiobus and several applications (VoiceRack, etc.) but not totally happy with the result, so maybe you can suggest my what i should use to create what i want. All of course if possible, only using the iTrack Dock and the iPad with Apps (if they cost something, thats fine!)

Goal 1: I want to be able to import "instrumental/karaoke" Tracks and sing to them mix them in a good way and export them.... I used the VocaLive Studio App for that and it works ok...

Goal 2: I want to record my pluggin in guitar and sing to it......

So both things have worked with differetn apps like VocaLive, but now it's getting interesting.

HELP NEEDED 1: I tried dozens of apps for vocal effects, (VoiceRack etc.). As i'm not a pro i don't want to cusomize to much, but to be honest all the presets i've found are not that awesome... Either way the effects are too extreme or sound fake... I just want a vocal app i can use with audiobus which gives me a decent amount of "good!" presets which make my voice sound cool. (A bit reverb, maybe a bit hall)...

HELP NEEDED 2: Mastering... I know probably all of you that have lots of experience are completely against "auto-mastering", but i used to use a mastering setting in audition in combination with normalizing everything first on the pc, and it used to give reasonable results... I don't know if there's something for the iPad.. .But i thought i'll ask....

Of course i want to be able to export all of this in reasonable WAV quality so i could use it for an album production or whatever...

Of course if you say, to get to my end result you would choose totally different apps, i'm open for all suggestions :)

Thanks Guys!!

Hoff

Comments

• Garage Band is a good intro, to iOS, a inexpensive way to learn about DAW's, if you're starting that's the way to go, BTW @hofmae, welcome aboard.

• Vocalive app for your help 1 question. It is fully customizable on each effect to get just the amounts you are looking for and the sound is incredible.

• For mastering, buy something like Final Touch. It has tons of noob friendly presets for different scenarios - it's really good. People also recommend an app called Audio Mastering for the same purpose.

• Personally I find the Vocal FX apps all suck, and I have every single one of them. What works best for me is to use Auria and its plugins to compress, EQ, and add reverb and/or delay. The Vocal FX apps sound gimmicky, Auria gives much more polished results on vocals IMO.

• But the vocal apps have auto tune\pitch correction, it's not just FX. Can Auria do that? If so i would love to know which plugins to buy.

• Autotune has it's place but, what happened before Autotune?

• Nadav Auria does have a $5 ReTune plugin available. I have it but haven't used it myself due to mixed reviews and a passionate belief that I can sing in key, despite a wodge of recorded evidence to the contrary. But it's probably worth 5 bucks. Also, you can use VocaLive or Singaling or Voice Rack or AutoTune via Audiobus and/or IAA into Auria, so plenty of Auria Autotunacity available.

• Thank you all for all your help!!! That should get me started!!!

• @knewspeak said:
    Autotune has it's place but, what happened before Autotune?

Well, everything sounded like this:

• edited February 2015

@u0421793 said:
    Well, everything sounded like this

That didn't sound bad, considering it's an impromptu demonstration of an unfinished (but already great) song!

• Autotune has been around forever, it just changed names. Going most recent to oldest- melodyne, autotune, microshift delays from eventide, pitching up and down in a sampler/ sampling digital delay, altering tape speed, and prior to that, vocal lessons and actual talent. Believe it or not, those last two still exist in some music worlds... ;-)

• Grizzled old misanthrope you!

Actually, I remember fiddling with tape speed on my Fostex and thinking I had solved world hunger. I hadn't but it was groovy etc.

• Wurrly is an interesting app with a large library of recorded songs that you can cover. Users have creative control over instruments (piano & guitar) or full band which also has vocal filters, key and speed adjustments.

Its pretty fun to use and has a surprisingly large amount of songs to choose from.