Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sending chords from Cubasis into StepPolyArp.

I wanted to record a series of chords in Cubasis and then feed them into StepPolyArp by having StepPolyArp as a midi track within Cubasis. I had no luck with any of my experiments. Then I noticed in StepPolyArp's midi implementation that StepPolyArp transmits note-ons but doesn't receive them.

Does this mean that it's impossible for me to do what I want?

Comments

• It's not entirely clear to me what you're trying to do.

If you're just trying to send the midi from Cubasis to StepPolyArp, you can do that and it will control the keyboard in StepPolyArp on the lower part of the screen.

If you're trying to route the midi output from that setup back into Cubasis, just set up another midi track in Cubasis and set the input in that track to StepPolyArp.

If you want the audio output from StepPolyArp to be recorded into Cubasis, StepPolyArp will only load into an audio track in Cubasis.

• Hi 1P18.

I'd like to achieve point 1 above. I can't even get StepPolyArp's internal synth to sound nor control the keyboard.

In Cubasis I set up a midi track that has no instrument and whose midi-output is routed to StepPolyArp on channel 3. In StepPolyArp I set midi-input to Cubasis on channel 3. Nothing happens when I play on the keyboard in Cubasis.

• Maybe you just need to make an audio-track in Cubasis that takes output from StepPolyArp as input? And also maybe take the MIDI keyboard as MIDI input to StepPolyArp? I do not have StepPolyArp so I might be lying about the possibilities :)

• edited January 2015

@markk said:
    Hi 1P18.

I'd like to achieve point 1 above. I can't even get StepPolyArp's internal synth to sound nor control the keyboard.

In Cubasis I set up a midi track that has no instrument and whose midi-output is routed to StepPolyArp on channel 3. In StepPolyArp I set midi-input to Cubasis on channel 3. Nothing happens when I play on the keyboard in Cubasis.

Works fine for me. Two things come to mind:

1. Make sure you have the output in StepPolyArp set to "Internal".

2. Do you have notes set in the top section (the Arp section) of StepPolyArp? That is ultimately what triggers the sound, as the keyboard on the bottom just indicates what note to play. (edit: actually if you have the arp button off the keyboard will play notes)

The only other thing I can think of is make sure StepPolyArp works by itself, do that first, then route Cubasis into it. Should work.

• Another suggestion is to get chordpolypad to test and compose. They work great with each other; you can feed any chord from chordpolypad into steppolyarp. I do this all the time.

Then, once you know that the concept is working, move on to Cubasis. I'll try to set up tomorrow (not at my ipad right now).

• 1P18, yes to both questions unfortunately. StepPolyArp works fine by itself.

@tonappas said:
    Maybe you just need to make an audio-track in Cubasis that takes output from StepPolyArp as input? And also maybe take the MIDI keyboard as MIDI input to StepPolyArp? I do not have StepPolyArp so I might be lying about the possibilities :)

Rightly or wrongly I haven't been using Audiobus for this experiment as I didn't think it was relevant.

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Another suggestion is to get chordpolypad to test and compose. They work great with each other; you can feed any chord from chordpolypad into steppolyarp. I do this all the time.

Then, once you know that the concept is working, move on to Cubasis. I'll try to set up tomorrow (not at my ipad right now).

Thanks for the suggestion John, Chordpolypad looks great and I'll probably get it eventually but at $17 I'd like to crack the Cubasis problem first, given that at least one other person has had success with it.

• How about the midi out in Cubasis? You sure you set the midi out and not the midi in?

• Hi. In cubasis, try sending out to 'virtual midi' rather than SPA.

Also try "all channels" in both SPA and Cubasis.

• edited January 2015

@markk said:
    I believe so.

The out looks fine. Maybe it's the input in StepPolyArp.

Also, why channel 3 specifically? Do you have other apps open and running midi? Maybe a reset of your system will help (close all apps and hold down power button to turn off).

• edited January 2015

Maybe in StepPolyArp you have channel 3 input turned off instead of on. Should be blue if on.

• Thanks Matt, it works now. It wasn't the virtual midi output that did it, it was changing the channel in Cubasis to All Channels. I don't know if that will cause other problems further down the track, but for now I'm happy. I'd like to send SPA's midi output to another synth like nLog.

Thanks again.