Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MobMuPlat and Lemur or TouchOSC connection

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck getting Lemur or TouchOSC to control MobMuPlat on the same iPad? Either thru OSC or Midi. iOS 7.1.2., iPad 3. Preferably Lemur. I've been trying for a few days, and have not had any luck. I'm sure I'm missing something. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Got it. Needed to do more homework. Lemur to MobMuPlat with Midi works.

• Hi everyone. I checked out the OSC issues, and it turns out there is an issue in MobMuPlat that keeps it from getting network messages/OSC while it is backgrounded (it closes/reopens its sockets on background/foreground). I'll aim to fix this in the next release so it can properly receive OSC while another app (TouchOSC/Lemur) is in the foreground.

• Hi Dan. Thanks for checking it out and working on a fix. MMP and and PD has opened up a whole new world for me. I work on Linux, and have been trying to get libpd to run with Processing, with no success. So, that's why working with MMP is important to me. Is there a way to get pd-extended to work with MMP, is it an issue with iOS or Android?

• Thank you @danI . I was trying today to test OSC with the built-in examples and I was puzzled why it didn't work (I thought it was a another iOS 8 thing). Also I don't understand if the following is a bug or not : It seems MobMuPlat does not remember the IP address or port when closed and relaunched.

@ArcaneScreams I copy-paste from another thread:

"I simply installed (added) the pd-extended and then pointed PureData_Vanilla in

Edit->Preferences->Path-->New : /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/mrpeach

Hope it helps. Also I was checking the new PD 0.46 . It seems there is no need for extra dependences for running the editor.(read it on MobMuPlat site ). Is it true?Couldn't test it because I could not compile PD 0.46 with Jack support (in linux) and just download the pre compiled binaries for wondows. Maybe in the weekend will try it.

• @Korakios Hi. Thanks, I'll check it out. What my issue is, is getting PureData and Processing to talk to each other. Processing won't load the library. Processing can't find libpdnative.so, even though it's in my path, and I compiled libpd. Blah blah, 32 hours of that. :-( I want to build a GUI with Processing. No luck. So, I've moved back to iOS and am using Lemur to control PD thru MMP. I have a working TouchOSC to PC connection, and sounds great. Since discovering MMP, I've stopped buying apps, and am developing my own. The goal is to run my own code, with AudioBus as the hub. Good luck with Jack. I've had a few issues there as well.

• Hi... so many juicy issues!

• Pd-extended on MMP: no, not really available. The issue isn't iOS or Android: libpd only encapsulates pd-vanilla objects, and tracks Miller's puredata-vanilla repo for changes. There may be the ability, if you compile MMP and libpd from source, to include additional objects of your choosing (just like the existing MMP code manually imports/initializes the vanilla externals fiddle~, sigmund~, etc), but I have not investigated that in any depth.

• Yes, on restart MMP will forget the user-defined IP address and port; this will hopefully be fixed in next release.

• That's correct, next version of MMP will be based on pure data .46 (which includes some OSC objects), which will not require a separate Pd flavor for MMP development! Very excited about that.

• Processing + libpd. I've never tried it...

• I can confirm that the Java editor works fine on 0.46 pd version with no need of external dependencies .(on windows and Linux).

@danl Is the default port 54321 used for the MMP and a pd patch communication only? Meaning if I load a pd patch using OSC messages on other port will it work?

• Neither of the editors has a dependence on PureData, they internally use other libraries for sending and receiving OSC messages. The previous need for separate OSC objects was just so that the PdWrapper.pd file could communicate with the editor.

Ports will be changing slightly in the next release.
    Old style: specify (in the editor) a port number for both in/out (default 54321), and then optionally override that in the app's network settings. Having the same port number for in and out is actually a bad idea, so that needed to change...
    New style: the editor does not specify a port number. The app lets user specify separate input and output port numbers under network settings. When using the editor+pd wrapper, these can also be specified in the PdWrapper.

When using the app, the interface and the pd patch use OSC-style messages, but do not actually use a socket/port (since they are running in the same process, they just send data internally). A port number is just for external/network communication.

When using the editor+Pd wrapper, sockets/ports are needed to communicate between the editor and the Pd wrapper. That uses port 54300 and 54310 (but shouldn't be used by anything else, and that is hardwired into the editor). The Pd wrapper can still send external network data (OSC to either other apps via the localhost address or to an external ip address) via the user-specified ports. The pdwrapper.pd only does multicast, unlike the app, which can do unicast.

For anyone itching to use Pd .46, I've attached the next version of PdWrapper, which uses native .46 objects. Some stuff had to be messed with pretty tweakily (e.g. oscparse strips off the slashes and separates address terms into separate list elements...I had to undo that behavior to get to a format MMP understands). It's still under some development, but it should work fine with previous versions of the editor. Let me know of any problems. No more pd-vanillaForMobMuPlat.

(So this forum doesn't allow .pd files to be uploaded...I renamed it as a .txt file, just rename it back to .pd)

• Hi folks, new MMP update is out, which should solve the inter-app OSC issue (and remember your input/output port numbers). Please let me know if you run into any issues, as I've only tested it with TouchOSC.

• Hi, how do I send inter-app OSC from a Pd patch running in MMP to TouchOSC on the same device?
    I want to update some label fields with numbers.

• Have a look at this example from the MMP's documentation:
    http://music.columbia.edu/~daniglesia/mobmuplat/doc/docjunk.png

• Hi yug, thanks for the reply! [send toNetwork] did it.

• Is there a way for TouchOSC to communicate with MMP/Pd on the same iOS device WITHOUT a wifi net?
    They are after all on the same device and should surely be able to connect internally, in some way, no?
    But from what I have tried, so far, it looks like there needs to be an external wifi network. Or is there some other way to do this?

• Hello everybody!
    My interest in LiveControl! I cannot get it to work! No IN, no OUT from Ableton Live!
    Please!?

• @Din McHine said:
    Hello everybody!
    My interest in LiveControl! I cannot get it to work! No IN, no OUT from Ableton Live!
    Please!?

That's a lemur template isn't it, have you configured the server on your desktop.