Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

oh dear

edited January 2015 in General App Discussion

I'm still grinning from two nights ago when I finally got the chance to route my iPad into a Roland KC-550. Coming from mostly the headphones/ sofa studio, I had previously thought maybe all those "tablet music is a toy" opinions might actually be right.

Well, no it is not a toy. 45 minutes with Animoog, Filtatron, and the KC-550 at medium levels are plenty proof otherwise.

why the "oh dear" title? I'm now dreaming of a home studio

Comments

• edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My iPad Air 1 IS my music studio. Some CPU issues crop up from time to time, but they're easy enough to work around. Disclaimer: I never had a desktop DAW and, with the versatility, portability and affordability of the iPad workflow, doubt I ever will.

Definitely not a toy :)

• @serosin said:
    With the amazingly low price of apps in iOS music land, the home studio dream is the most achievable it's ever been. Money saved from not buying 3 digit VSTs can go into sweet gear

So true! I can't believe the price of the Fabfilter and PSP plug-ins in Auria. I recorded an album about 6 years ago at an amateur studio for about $2,800.00. I'm sure I've got less than that in all my ios gear. 2 disclaimers: The recording and production of said album was not professional. Prob. Semi-professional. And, the recording equipment I have, is not top notch to be sure, but I never thought I'd have an audio interface, condenser mics, Studio Monitors, Studio Head Phones. An actual affordable DAW for my line of work. I do have Reaper on the computer.

• I felt the same way after routing M3000 HD and iSem through a suite of Moogerfoogers, an RE-101, and spring verbs!

Nothing like taking the iOS out of the iPad :)

• If you really want to fall out with your neighbours, try putting Elastic Drums into Turnado via an Orange bass rig as I do. Or maybe, don't.

• Nice, Monzo and Aleyas :-)

• @monzo said:
    If you really want to fall out with your neighbours, try putting Elastic Drums into Turnado via an Orange bass rig as I do. Or maybe, don't.

Not gonna lie, I chubbed a bit.

• @serosin said:
    With the amazingly low price of apps in iOS music land, the home studio dream is the most achievable it's ever been. Money saved from not buying 3 digit VSTs can go into sweet gear

There's plenty of high quality freeware and 2 digit vst plugins. ;)

• @eustressor said:
    My iPad Air 1 IS my music studio. Some CPU issues crop up from time to time, but they're easy enough to work around. Disclaimer: I never had a desktop DAW and, with the versatility, portability and affordability of the iPad workflow, doubt I ever will.

Definitely not a toy :)

my iPad Air is my studio as well.
    I bought a Roland 880EX back in the late 90's and integreated a good deal of outboard gear, and had a pretty nice home studio for the first half of the 00's. I sold it all several years ago and focused on live performing. Take it from me- the iOS studio is a dream with seemingly endless possibilities. The challenge for me is to not get caught up in the hype around the how new apps, and instead hone my skills on already very capable ones like Beatmaker2, Sunrizer, Impaktor, Auria & Turnado.

• edited January 2015

No way @Thomas - I had the vs-1680 around the same time!

Quite agree with your points on iOS music production, although I stumble around a bit on BeatMaker. Not as much as on that little Roland LCD screen, tho'

Edit: Maybe it was the 880, pics of the 1680 look huge.

• Having worked in the realm of hardware, then Desktop plugins, and now the iPad, I can safely say that I prefer the iPad for its portability and simplicity and cost. My last hardware purchase last year was an early Christmas present for myself--a true analog: Roland JX-8P. This is a synth that even those in the hardware synth freaks group considers decent. I, personally, was disappointed. I feel like the synths we have are just as good, despite the whole analog/digital wars. Back in the days of patching cables from one device to another, I could spend 30 minutes to an hour getting things ready for us to play. With an iPad, I can flip open a lid and immediately get started. :-) My only concern right now with the iPad is the whole iOS 8, IAA, Audiobus stability/latency issue going on right now. Well, that and the whole MIDI sync issue as well. But overall, the iPad is a huge step forward! By the way, @Hmtx, you should be able to get the same sort of satisfaction at a budget price if you pick up an inexpensive set of nearfield monitors. :-) Even the budget ones should work. The key is to have something that projects the full frequency spectrum and is stereo. If you don't have a pair, I highly recommend getting some! They can be found as cheap as $100! :-)

• In the wider world of music making, you read so much about real orchestra's are better then sampled sound, hardware is better than plugins, desktops are better than iOS, makes me laugh and sigh at the same time, sound is sound in all it's wonderful forms, if it works, it works, to say one better than another, crazy, would you say a F1 car is better than your average road car? Don't think you get too far in the F1 on a road, or the speed of the F1 in a road car.

• edited January 2015

@Audiojunkie said:
    By the way, Hmtx, you should be able to get ...

oh, I know it. Thats the problem, I imagine myself teetering on the precipice of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Decent, cheap monitors are precisely what I'm seeing right now... but what lies over the edge, just a few steps further? ;-)

• @Hmtx Hehehe! It's a slippery slope! :-)

• edited January 2015

I struggled for years on PC's with really bad latency issues, it was only when I got my Mac that I could record in with any accuracy. Generally the latency is low on an iPad, so I prefer it to using a PC

• Sounds like @monzo, your PC has problems, what's the spec compared to the Mac, today both run on Intel cores, GFX cards, shouldn't cause too much of a problem for music, hard drive, RAM, can, but depends on what you're using it for, ASIO drivers maybe what's causing problems.

• edited January 2015

That was over the course of 4 different PC's the last one very powerful. I never invested in pro audio cards which probably accounted for the la ten cy but ASIO4All helped. Windows had a habit though of (still does) not loading drivers up properly, so half the time I'd waste an hour trying to get things to work before giving up. I have to say I now hate Windows OS with a passion. In contrast I just plug a lead into the Mac and it works straight away, every time.

My machines are really (supposed to be) used for graphic/dev work, but it's nice the Mac can do music as well with no faffing involved

• That the beauty with Apple gadgets, a more clearly defined set of specs, hardware as opposed to Windows, Android, hardware that's mixed up, messed up, funked up!