Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DFX-Digital Multi-FX Demo and Tutorial for iPad

In this video we take a good look at the new DFX-Digital Multi-FX processor from DM1 developers Fingerlab. I like this a lot, in fact so far January 2015 has been a great month for apps all round. This offers you a wide range of FX that you can use four of at a time with XY control pads
http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/dfx-digital-multi-fx-demo-tutorial-ipad/

Comments

• Yes it has been a really good year already.

• Yes I did read this is a half off intro price but at full price it will still be very reasonable.
    I use it quite differently however than you are. I prefer a much more subtle approach when adding effects. Too much of a good thing in many cases in other words is not a good thing. I like to open a preset and turn everything back and then gradually up and make changes depending on what I am hearing. This will do almost any sound you like but it can get out of control fast if over used. IMO.

• @Tritonman2 said:
    Yes I did read this is a half off intro price but at full price it will still be very reasonable.
    I use it quite differently however than you are. I prefer a much more subtle approach when adding effects. Too much of a good thing in many cases in other words is not a good thing. I like to open a preset and turn everything back and then gradually up and make changes depending on what I am hearing. This will do almost any sound you like but it can get out of control fast if over used. IMO.

This works quite well for that as it has individual wet/dry sliders. Probably better than Turnado in that respect. I'm the same, I like to test things out gently before going completely bonkers

• It will be a really good app when they fix the bugs, now it's useless if you try to use via IAA.

• One word, a recent word in the history of words in fact/ AUDIOBUS

• edited January 2015

@Tritonman2 said:
    One word, a recent word in the history of words in fact/ AUDIOBUS

Works perfectly for me in AB, which is all I care about.

• edited January 2015

This can work with IAA if you open DFX first, then Audioshare or Auria(I don't have Cubasis) then select DFX from inside the app you want to use it with. This is a workaround(thanks to Paulinko) and hopefully a fix is forthcoming. Being made by the developers of DM1 and others, I have faith any glitches, bugs, crackles will be ironed out.

Also as Auria saves your FX selection when you start up next time you will probaly have to deselect DFX first and then exit Auria and start the process again.

For $1.99 I am amazed at what it can do. Works great in Audiobus as well.

• edited January 2015

@Tritonman2 said:
    One word, a recent word in the history of words in fact/ AUDIOBUS

yeah,GREAT....but what if my workflow doesn't match with the use of Audiobus?I prefer to mangle already bounced/recorded loops in Cubasis or Auria with FX.Couldn't be more simple with IAA but a pain in the ass if i have to use AB for that matter...

I'll buy it nonetheless cause i also believe it's just a matter of time until IAA will be fixed.

• Not only that but you could still use audiobus to mangle the loops by placing them into the input slot first then flux in fx and whatever daw as output you chose. Run cubasis to flux to cubasis or audi or what ever you choose for the input with your file. Yes I am pretty sure it gets an IAA fix anyway but until then there are several work arounds. Ya, I hate work arounds too I must agree.

• Following your example i would need to export the loops first to...?That's not an option :)
    Or i could use Cubasis (or Auria) in the input and output slot but well...you see the point why it is so much easier to have IAA available in this case :) Anyway,i already bought it.

• Well it is an option just a poor one I agreed.

• If it doesn't work with IAA unless you follow a very specific series of steps (which may or may not be repeatable), then it isn't working with IAA. It was a black hole for audio via IAA and I tested it 4 different ways. As soon as I removed DFX from the FX slot, my instrument app could be heard again.

But, as said above, they get a pass because it is v. 1.0 and because it works with AudioBus perfectly. Great value for this app, I will watch and see what Doug was able to do with it!

• Nice little demo but I wouldn't call it a tutorial, really. I didn't expect a tutorial either because obviously the app just came out this morning and nobody could possibly fully explain it on release day. I really appreciate these videos but when I read "tutorial" or "guide" I expect to learn how the app works while in fact it is Doug apparently trying the app for the very first time and recording it on video. Which is fine and quite entertaining but calling it a tutorial is kind of misleading, isn't it? Please take this as positive criticism, Doug, and keep 'em coming. Cheers!

• If I learn how to use a tool, I have by definition been tutored. Not sure if it's semantics or if I'm missing your point @Munibeast (which is entirely possible), but I've yet to find myself misled in any way by Doug's vids. Straightforward, free reviews based on a real affinity for music and the iOS platform.

BTW, really enjoyed this vid, Doug. Thanks!

• edited January 2015

This was in no way " misleading". Good grief people get a grip!

• edited January 2015

Okay, sorry, misleading wasn't quite the right word because it implies it was done on purpose but you know what I mean? It's not a tutorial but a little preview or demo. So it should just be called that so people who expect to learn how it works won't be disappointed because there is not much of a lesson there. Just my 2ct and I don't want to make a huge deal out of it. And I'm sorry if I'm being a prick but this kind of thing somehow seems to bother me enough to write a comment about it... I too like the video, by the way. And I appreciate Dougs efforts a lot. Just a little criticism...

• Jedi Master Doug can teach how to use D ForX, anyday!

• Good grief!

• Let's not get too worked up. A bit of debate isn't going to kill us. I will chime in and suggest that perhaps "First Look" or a similar title may be more appropriate for these type of launch videos.

• Not much to debate here really when you get down to it. But have at it if it makes you feel better. Just do not spread rumors and expect not to be called on it. Muni was man enough to admit his mistake and I CAN respect that.

• edited January 2015

Frankly,who cares if you CAN respect that.You just have to.Other people have other opinions and i don't see any disrespect in giving people a hint to improve things other than just praise everything.How do YOU want things to improve?*

*thinking about the FM4 thread where you really didn't spare with something i would not call "constructive criticism"

• edited January 2015

Oh crabby, there you go again living up to your moniker ! Please stop trolling me though m, k? It is getting old already and kind of well frankly, crabby. Oh and by the way I do not have to do anything really though you bad old Internet tough guy lol. Perhaps if you could read you would be able to see that I too am fine with constructive criticism it was the term misleading I took objection with. And I still appreciate Muni for making the distinction no matter if you like it or not.

• edited January 2015

If you can't handle that kind of reaction to your posts (trolling?Don't make yourself more important than you are) i strongly suggest to work on your manners.Calm down,kid.

• edited January 2015

Lol at you commenting on manners give us a break please! But hurt much? I was not the one trolling remember.please do feel free to take your own advice.

• edited January 2015

• edited January 2015

Your welcome flo and consider it over with. Good call. All good.

• edited January 2015

Sorry crabman all the best. Thanks flo

• @Tritonman said:
    Sorry crabman all the best. Thanks flo

Nice move.Peace and back to topic then ;)

• [cough...]

So should I buy DFX? Let's just get down to the real question: when will I use this if I already have Turnado?

• edited January 2015

All I can say is, I have Turnado and Flux and this also. I prefer flux , this second and lastly turnado. You will get various opinions on this more than likely. But for less than 2 dollars it will not likely disappoint you or break your budget. Think FM4 How could you go wrong for that price really? A soda at a convenience store is often that much nearly.