Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Getting Random

edited January 2015 in General App Discussion

I have too many effing apps I don't open. For times when I don't have a specific plan, I think it would be great fun to push a [Random] button and have AudioBus load three apps for me.

Might be ever slightly more useful if the output could be fixed (Loopy or AudioShare or a user's favorite DAW would be common) but that's easy enough to change afterward and the randomization might spark inspiration.

Then a place here on the forum to share your random creations. Natch. :)

Am I crazy?
  1. Would you press the random button occasionally?24 votes
    1. Yes
      70.83%
    2. No
      29.17%
  2. If yes, would you pay a buck for it?24 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%

Comments

• I don't see the 'yes' and 'no' choices for your first question.

• I think this is a cry for help!

Give this book a whirl...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paradox-Choice-More-Less/dp/149151423X

• @daveMagoo It absolutely is. It's also a possibly fun way to re acquaint yourself with an old friend.

That said, I did this manually a few times last night (closed eyes, scroll around, tap) and more often than not the combos didn't even make sense. First one I ended up with MIDImorphis(no guitar in the cafe)->MIDI Designer->Jasuto. :)

• I'd like one - I love the randomise option in apps, if they have one, and the delight of discovering an accidental special thing

• Chose one-AB-preset a day, keeps app fatigue away!

• edited January 2015

Maybe this could be the Random app/ AudioBus chain workflow set-up thread !! Or something..Heres one to start off (that i've been using recently)-

Animoog on input, Cubasis on output, nothing unusual there until you use Thesys to play the Animoog (and by using midi clock, Thesys will play/stop Animoog when Cubasis' play/ stop button is pressed). Animoog arpeggiated.

• I'm wondering if the catalog of saved states could be more accessible, allowing a random-like feature.

• Thing about shared states is folks may not have the apps. For instance, I don't own Thesys or Cubasis (but thank you @RUncELL!). I do like the idea of listing random combos here though, a lot.

• animoog into cubasis is one of my favorites . Glad to see the love is shared. I have been meaning to get around to putting flux between them as I think it will sound just great!

• True, but it might be a fast fix, nonetheless, and if you could filter it to only include the apps you owned....

• This might be too low tech but there's always eanie, meanie, minie, mo with your music icons in the different slots.

• Nice idea. I love any app with randomizers, why not AB too

• You could always group apps into appropriate numbered lists and then spin the dial with a random number generator. There are free random number apps.

• yes, up to now I usually use the random feature in my head from time to time (let's pick something I wouldn't use normally, and see what happens...)

• Randomisation has to be fast - as 90% of the results are usually pants so you have to keep pressing the thing. I need an app that loads a random chain of apps into AB, and randomises their settings at the same time. Come on, where is it?

• @monzo, good point about speed and success ratios. @animal, me too.

Someone could make a little web app using the AB site's icon banner but it's not limited to apps owned by the user.

AB app icons banner

• Fine simple idea. Especially if you can specify one fixed variable. I do do this with a quick scroll 'n' stop (TM) down the Ab presets but that doesn't really get you out of the old stagers most of the time....and yes, I have put a dollar to one side....

• Web app from the icon banner wouldn't work at all actually. Not only is it not limited to your apps but it's also not filtered by AB slots.

• Could be done - create a matrix for the apps/slots, link into the AB API (with their permission). The tricky bit would be picking up the installed apps, loading and randomising the settings.

• Was thinking about asking @michael about that. Guess I am know. :) I could scrape them from the site (and save) but if there was a consumable list somewhere, it'd be quite a bit faster/cleaner. But yeah, ultimately, without knowing what a particular user has installed, it would be largely a novelty.

• It would be nice if we could access the shared user AB presets from within AB itself.

• Indeed. They could be uploaded to a site/db from within the app and UIWebview from within the app could browse/filter them. The app knows which apps you have so it could actually filter them presets for you if you wanted. It's cool to have the thread here but I'm guessing sharing would go through the roof if users could upload and browse them more easily, especially if it could happen from within app.