Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Super Manetron (Mellotron) iPad/iPhone app price drop $6.99 --> $1.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-manetron/id603086193?mt=8&uo=4&at=10ld49

Super Manetron
insideout ltd.
///////
PRICE DOWN SALE!!!
Supports Audiobus and Inter-App Audio
_/
/////_/

/////
”Big mistake not being able to turn off the background noise”
"If one were to record this-heavy use of a noise gate would be needed!"

• No,no, you can play with no motor sound. Do not turn on red switch when move to keyboard screen.
    "out of tune."

• Yes, We know. But this is the real feeling of M400S serial number 761 manufactured in the '70s
    //////

Super Manetron is the vintage tape sampling keyboard for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Genuine sound sampled from the most famous white body tape sampling keyboard model number of M400S (serial number 761) manufactured in the 70's. You can see an internal mechanism (tape running animation) and can enjoy with eyes and an ear. Feel the live experience the motor noise and inner mechanical sounds were recorded.

Features:

• Core MIDI compatible
  • 35Kyes of sampled sounds from the M400S serial number 761 manufactured in the 70's.
  • 8 sec PCM full sampling sounds each Key
  • Scrollable Keyboard & dual Keyboards with switchable key width
  • No loop sounds (real performance feeling)
  • Pre-loaded with 7 instruments including Flute, 3violins (Strings), Cello, Oboe, 8-voice Choir, Vibes, Brass
  • 7 instrument sounds can be set as the favorite position of A,B,C position on setting screen
  • A+B, B+C mix sounds position
  • The sound of motor and tape rewind mechanical noise
  • Tape running animation
  • Pitch control by accelerometer
  • Built-in Reverb that simulates spring reverb
  • Original sounds source are recorded by 96KHz/24 bits
  • Compiled under the supervision of Fumitaka Anzai (Famous vintage keyboard player & collector of Japan)

Comments

• Dougs vid from TSTR

• Tron mania, IK, Logic, a 'trip' down memory lane @gsm909, thanks for the link.

• "Out of tune" pretty much ruins it for me, I don't care how authentic it is...

• @Zymos said:
    "Out of tune" pretty much ruins it for me, I don't care how authentic it is...

Take it, it's not be fixed yet?

• edited January 2015

"It's not a bug, it's a feature". My quote, but that appears to be their opinion...

• @Zymos said:
    "It's not a bug, it's a feature". My quote, but that appears to be their opinion...

Authentic to the point of being unusable?

• The out-of-tune-ness is part of the charm of a Mellotron. If it's authentic... just listen to this intro:

• Yep certainly see what you mean about 'out of tune', but the intro sounds like it's suffering 'aliasing artefacts, due to encoding', until Gabriel comes in!

• edited January 2015

Genesis, a classic, but I prefer this one:

Not impressive the live version, but the studio one ("Red" album).

• Starless and Watcher in the same thread....no wonder I love this forum!

• edited January 2015

I love Red, one of my favourite albums. Interestingly one of my mates had an original Melotron, Hammond Organ and PA stashed at his house for a few years. On the cabinets the word 'Genesis' was stencilled - apparently it was some if their original gear, and my friend was housing it for them until they had room for them again.

• There are loads of good Mellotron samples out there. It's a lot easier to make those play out of tune than it is to do the opposite...

• mmpmmp
    edited January 2015

lol, and apparently...these days King Crimson are using an iPad instead... http://www.omenie.com/

But, tbh, I prefer Super Manetron... somehow it captures that brittle sound from the early machines better.

Strawberry Fields Forever!

• Brittle, they sound harsher than digital, same feel to Logic Pro's new Mellotrons, but IK's feel warmer, setting these up must have made the Analog Synths seem a breeze at the time.

• edited January 2015

@mmp said:

I had to edit my original post just in case I get him into trouble...

• @Monzo

oh, OK, quote removed.

• Captain Beefheart in Rolling Stone interview, 1980:

He also wrote some songs on his latest acquisition, a Mellotron, the original, now-antiquated string synthesizer. “I heard them played so many horrible ways that I got interested in getting hold of one of them. The Mellotron’s the only thing that can get that Merthiolate colour, you know what I mean?’ Really abused throat”

• no problem here at all with slightly detuned notes.

• edited January 2015

Among other things, the "authentic slightly out of tune" feature is what I feel is wrong with Clavinet emulations I have heard. I'm not sure why all of the Clavinet sample playback emulations are so bad ... they're too slick and perfect sounding maybe. There are other problems about Clavinet samples too. A large part of my criticism is because I compare the sampled sounds directly to my real Hohner Clavinet and they don't sound anything like it. Acoustic piano samples are still far from realistic also in my opinion.

In contrast, other electro-mechanical keyboards such as Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzers and Hammond organ emulations have gotten very good and the same direct comparisons with the real instruments are remarkably similar. And apparently these Mellotron emulations are quite authentic as well if King Crimson is using an iPad on the road.

• Did anybody actually create 'DIY' tape loops for any of the Trons?

• @mmp said:
    Monzo

oh, OK, quote removed.

Thanks ;) It's probably fine, but you never know who's browsing - I wouldn't want Peter Gabriel turning up on his doorstep and having a go at him.

• edited January 2015

King Crimson is using the Mellotron sounds in Thumbjam (free inside the app for downloading). There is a picture on the web somewhere of KC's rig with TJ on the iPad screen. My problem with Manetron is the tuning, not the usual "charming" mellotron imperfections . The whole app is slightly sharp which puts it out of tune with the rest of the musical universe. There is a pitch knob which allows you to lower the pitch of the whole app so that it's in tune but when you let go of this knob it snaps back to the default of being sharp. I got SM on sale so I don't feel too badly about deleting it which I did.

I think TJ's mellotron sounds are as good as Manetron's and they are actually in tune (except for those charming Mellotron imperfections!).

• @monzo said:
    Thanks ;) It's probably fine, but you never know who's browsing - I wouldn't want Peter Gabriel turning up on his doorstep and having a go at him.

I wouldn't mind him turning up on my step though.

• Maybe King Krimson just didn't want to spring for the $1.99 to buy Super Manetron ;) - I agree though, the Mellotron in TJ is great, forgot about that even though I bought this app. It would be interesting to hear a side-by-side comparison.

• The developer says:" "out of tune." - Yes, We know. But this is the real feeling of M400S serial number 761 manufactured in the '70s."

Does that mean that maybe M400S serial number 761 alone was out of tune that badly, or were all of the Mellotrons this out of tune? If they sampled a unit that was worse than the rest, then that was a mistake and they should have provided a more reliable way to bring it into tune in my opinion.

I don't think the Mellotronics M3000 is so out of tune that it's unusable is it?

• In fact, the intro to Watcher of the Skies was a chord progression that Tony Banks had worked out as a set of chords that would "work" well on the Mellotron and not suffer from the out-of-tune ness that was inherent in that model.

• Depends when they were sampled. Tape loops will stretch and deteriorate over time, so sampling an older machine will sound a lot wonkier than when it was new. When I played Banksy's Mellotron it sounded like a box full of tortured cats.

• @monzo said:
    Depends when they were sampled. Tape loops will stretch and deteriorate over time, so sampling an older machine will sound a lot wonkier than when it was new. When I played Banksy's Mellotron it sounded like a box full of tortured cats.

I much prefer Monty's Mouse Organ

• LOL, had to dig that one out:

• App is not working for me as IAA in multitrackstudio, ioS 7 with midi file. Anyone else had any luck?