Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How is Beathawk better than Beatmaker 2?

edited January 2015 in General App Discussion

I got BM2 a week ago and I got BH last night.

What can Beathawk do that Beatmaker 2 can't?

Comments

• IMO very different apps. They can easily co-exist. Faster workflow on Beathawk and very inspiring fresh sounds ,advanced arranging on BM2 and detailed editing.

• @markk said:

I got BM2 a week ago and I got BH last night.

What can Beathawk do that Beatmaker 2 can't?

BM2 does a lot more it's a DAW, but it's not so much what they do, it's more how they do it, Beathawk is a fun, instant play, MPC type app, with some really good sounds.

• Way better quality sounds in Beathawk too. But I agree - way faster workflow in BH - resulting in more inspiration captured

• it's a faster workflow because it does not do what the other sampling beatmachines do.
    just posted this over at fb iOS group in a discussion about the same thing.

beathawk is not a bad app, it's just in it's current state not for people who are really into sampling. there are allot of people talking about how it's workflow is better than the impc pro and beatmaker but it's like saying the workflow on your guitar is better than the one on your keyboard they are really different animals….If you're looking for some high quality sample packs that are already mapped with rex file /acid file like meta data then you will really like UVI. They've been doing the same thing on the desktop for years…. but if you're interested in your own sample manipulation, editing, mangling, effecting, resampling and remangling then you're going to want to look in the direction of the other two bm2, impc pro, or even beat machine is great. That said beathawk has some time stretching, it's manual but it's still timestretching and it has some fx, they are limited but still there and if you wanted to take some samples and mangle them technically you can still do that, just not anywhere near to the degree of the other beatmachines, and not as easily either….but that is obviously not beathawks purpose, uvi is known for acidized sample packs first. Dougs video is really the perfect reflection of the beathawk app

• Ah but wait for BM3! Mebbe.....

• knewspeak coined it aptly 'instant play mpc type app'

• Very interesting and useful replies, thanks people. This is a great forum.

• iMO... BH is even worth than iMPC Pro, except maybe if you you like to rely on (very expensive) imposed sound libraries... While BM2 is opened, more flexible and with way more possibilities (but it's getting old...).
    I'm a bit disapointed because I did not expected the kind of app size and limits that I found in BH... I was waiting for this app for a year but deleted after 2 days...
    Maybe if they had made it an audiobus input, it would have make it a lot different for me, but as it is now it's a definite no go fir me
    Peace

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Ah but wait for BM3! Mebbe.....

My guess: one to two months after Nanostudio 2.

• Isn't there any way to adjust the audio buffer? When playing the pads live I feel there's too much latency for playing an unquantised groove.

• My current Analysis...

BM2 = Hours of midi sync/IAA headaches and compatibility issues...and a UI/file organising quagmire...but feature rich and fairly comprehensive...

BH = Hours of fun bringing the simplest parts of the workflow from iMpc Pro & iMaschine....a great yet limited selection of features that work great together....with a lot of room for development in terms of user sample integration akin to whats on offer as iaps...

• Aside from DAW vs. non-DAW, the most immediate difference to me is the User Interface. BM2 is all manner of confusing when trying to sort out how to do what I want to do. That's why I gave it the axe during a recent pre-Spring cleaning to free up space on my iPad. Maybe someday ...

OTOH, based on Doug's video (can we get this guy an award or a lotto ticket or something, already?), Beathawk has much more of a jump-in-and-get-grooving instant gratification quality to it's UI that Beatmaker will never match in it's current incarnation.

• Since Beathawk has Audiobus integration, I can run it's output through effects, record them, and import them back into Beathawk as samples without having to leave Audiobus. This work flow is more conducive to what I want to do. Really need to investigate the ACID format to see if there's an iOS way of creating your own samples to take full advantage of Beathawk.

• ^Agree with this aspect. Reminds me once again how much I take this AB thing for granted sometimes....

• Beathawk would bump way up for me if it had AB sampling and especially if it could be in the input and output at the same time to facilitate resampling with external effects.

• edited January 2015

You can't really compare the two.

Beathawk:

Only 1 track

Only 1 sample bank of pads

No sample slicing. Only factory content can be sliced and mapped to the keyboard.

No resampling

No real sample editing to speak of (start/end only)

No sample truncate

No piano roll

Only the most basic effects

No filter modulation

Audiobus input only (Can't sample other apps)

Takes up over 800MB of space with no way to delete factory data.

Beathawk is being advertised as having realtime timestretch but the "realtime" timestretch only works with factory samples that already have their tempo set. Non-factory samples require manual speed adjustment.

• Just for the record the two finger touch thing lets you rename or delete samples.

I'd like to make my own ACID files, but I'm hesitant to do a google search for acid samples.

• Great, thanks for that!

• edited January 2015

Thanks Janie you just made my day as I did not want to sample what I could not remove. This app is so much fun and now I think I will probly delete impc amateur and use this instead I never did use it anyway any longer given it's extremely poor sampling option from external sources.

• Wouldn't Apple Loops be the same thing as Acid or Rex files. The Apple Loop Utility dices and slices WAV or AIF files to be used at any tempo with applications that support the format. The iPad, being an Apple product, you would think the iOS SDK would support Apple Loops?

Article link:
    http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-and-organize-your-own-apple-loops--audio-3392

• Can anyone confirm if beathawk supports REX files? I have years of sampling old records to REX files as I'm a Reason user. Would be fantastic if it did...

And I also can't wait for nanostudio2 and BM3.. They will be killer no doubt

• This app reminds me of iMaschine or even iMPC Pro in some ways - it does not feel all that similar to Beatmaker 2. BM2 is a super-powerful, affordable DAW with audio track and MIDI capabilities. Beathawk is basically a groovebox based largely on factory content. The only reason it's more than a "beatbox" is the variety of instruments offered and the focus on pitch control. I really don't see the similarity, even if BM2 has a "sampler".

Beathawk is fine - I pulled the trigger for $5. It has potential, it's just too bad the app is so damn large. Quantization worked well and it is easy to get to work on it.

• @Buska said:

Can anyone confirm if beathawk supports REX files? I have years of sampling old records to REX files as I'm a Reason user. Would be fantastic if it did...

Doesn't look like it. Of course, you can try one and see what happens, but the app store description says: "Import: FLAC, WAV, MP3, MP4, or AIF"

If you're interested, you can convert them in Reaper (trial version) or some other utility.

http://www.howtoprogramdrums.com/how-to-convert-rx2-to-wav-convert-rex-files-to-wav-files

• It is new and fresh and just works for people. BM is older and not in. Heck just watch the BH video to see how cool it is. BM stands for a bodily function and BW does not. Then there is that BW video promo. Need I say more? Where on earth do these questions come from anyway? Watch the intro video and you will know all you need.

• If what @shortbus listed is true then I can't really see how we can even compare the two. It's like saying the 10 years old Nokia is better than iPhone because it's easy to use. I know I'm gonna get shot down for this analogy ;).

I don't even own beathawk but felt like defending my old pal beatmaker 2. She's a part of a family with all the convolution it comes with, just like that old Nokia.

• edited January 2015

I imported some Acid files which where supposed to work with the automatic tempo adjustment, but so far they seem to work just like normal .WAV files, so not sure what's going on :-(

The user library does not seem to support folders, so importing 100's of samples of your own does not seem feasible, they want you to buy their packs instead, which are nicely organized.

Still for the $5 sale price it's a nice addition to your arsenal, and great for just laying down some beats / grooves.

• edited January 2015

guess i got a thing for individual time signatures per pattern, individual tempo per pattern, individual mixer automation per pattern etc...

• @Peter321 said:

I imported some Acid files which where supposed to work with the automatic tempo adjustment, but so far they seem to work just like normal .WAV files, so not sure what's going on :-(

The user library does not seem to support folders, so importing 100's of samples of your own does not seem feasible, they want you to buy their packs instead, which are nicely organized.

I downloaded some free acidized free loops plus I export some wav loops from Reaper with the option to store tempo info. On the acid loop beathawk does not read the slice info but reads on both samples the bpm info and it locks the samples to follow Beathawks tempo...

I understand that UVI wants to sell the IAP sound packs,which are very nice but there are people with custom libraries that would love to use on the app. Waiting the day where apps can read the samples straight from audioshare library. It would be a big step for iOS 8.

• I believe the beat hawk video was very clear on the difference- beatmaker offers limits while beat hawk offers horizons. ;-)

• edited January 2015

I'll stick w/BM2. I primarily want sample editing with an MPC-style interface. While BM2 is a pain, Beathawk isn't even in the same universe for my goals.
    By the time Beathawk gets an upgrade to do real quality sample editing, Beatmaker3 will be out.