Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New kraftwerk documentary

encenc
edited January 2015 in General App Discussion

maybe of interest to some ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050rbzb

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up!

Hopin' that shows up for streaming soon. In the meantime, this is a great documentary that covers Kraftwerk as well as lots of the stuff from Germany in the 70's:

• Just a reminder the new Kraftwerk docu is on BBC4 tonight. In fact, the channel has an evening of synth related programs from 9PM

Who wants to bet they show the TUE clip from tomorrows world :-/

• edited January 2015

Yeah I've got the Kraftwerk doc to record (bbc4) tonight, watched a recording of the Synth Brittanica again last night, and fast-forwarded over the bit where Depeche Mode get signed at the gig my old band were supposed to play, as it makes me shout at the telly

• Hope it's on iPlayer, got my kids, watching peppa pig ad infinitum........

• File under: Times I wish I lived in GB

• No doubt it will find it's way to YouTube sometime, take it you only the beeb news on PBS.

• Nah, there's a clutch of BBC shows on PBS but I think they're generally serial, not specials. I don't actually know; I don't own a tv.

• I've got a TV but hardly watch anything, most of it's dire, odd film, news and a few docs, probably watch more YouTube 'stuff' than anything, including Doug.

• Synth Brittanica was a good one. I watched it twice already.

• This is on YouTube

• Considering all the great Synth/Drum Machine/Sequencer bands and music that got their influence from Kraftwerk over the years, I sometimes wonder what kind of apps we'd be excited about if they had never come along...
    They're kinda of the Duke Ellington of IOS music. That's just my humble opinion.

• edited January 2015

On a related sentiment. I always used to say to anyone who didn’t really want to listen that I thought that had Eddie Cochran not died so early I suspect he would have fallen in love with sequencers. His music is very systemic and although he’s known as a guitar player, I think he would have really loved synths even more.

Imagine his ‘didn’t-die’ career with a few more significant hits on the list, pursuing the studio as an instrument, but then descending into a bit of a sales lull in the output of actual hits. Instead of becoming a has-been, perhaps by about the late 60s he would have been instrumental in utilising synthesisers, sequencers, multitrack recorders, and perhaps influencing the rising stars — the Roberts and the Alans — of the synth hardware hack scene of the time.

If the return of Eddie Cochran as a prominent electronic musician made a significant enough impact, he would have influenced the Rolling Stones, Hendrix, and that minor group from Liverpool (well, certainly McCartney). I suspect the wave of influence would consequently spread to the free-and-easy Krautrock participants such as Can; Neu; Organisation.

Who knows. Kraftwerk as we now know them might well have started from a different seed, their same process being applied to a different starting point like a Fibonacci series starting with a different pair of numbers. Would Kraftwerk starting from a profound influence from the organised sequence-synth days of Eddie Cochran be a different Kraftwerk to the one which we got?

• edited February 2015

Despite being a Kraftwerk fan for nearly 40 years, I can honestly say that was one of the worst documentaries I've seen in my entire life. Just gave up after 45 minutes and deleted the recording. Apart from a few nice early clips this was utter horse poo. Nothing to do with the music, which is superb as always, but the talking head art-house b*llocks that turns the whole thing into something rubbery and unpleasant. Avoid.

• I'm with Monzo on this (except I stayed with it to the end and then deleted). And it was mainly one talking head. Given the technology plays a large part with Kraftwerk's music you would expected something about that side of thing. But no, nothing at all. Actually the programme that preceded it looking at music technology (which at least mentioned mobile music production - and animoog was shown in passing) was much more interesting and thought provoking.

• But that was Paul Morley, who some decades ago was one third of the Art of Noise when they were good. The programme was mainly centred around him though, but I really liked his analysis a lot.

• See how they do it:

At least one of them uses an iPad (Falk Grieffenhagen, who I believe controls the visuals) which looks to be running an older iOS and is probably jailbroken. Henning Schmitz and Fritz Hilpert also look to have one each.

Surprising that their gear doesn't look as bespoke as you might guess, though there appears to be some modification going on.

P.S. Paul Morley is in just about every British music documentary these days.
    It's always either him or Richard Hawley. Often both.

• Interesting video. One to send people who think you can't use iPads in "real music" (whatever that is :-) )

I would guess that a band of Kraftwerk's statue have the pick of music technology - so to choose iPads implies they do exactly what the band needs - even in a live environment.

• @u0421793 said:
    On a related sentiment. I always used to say to anyone who didn’t really want to listen that I thought that had Eddie Cochran not died so early I suspect he would have fallen in love with sequencers. His music is very systemic and although he’s known as a guitar player, I think he would have really loved synths even more.

Imagine his ‘didn’t-die’ career with a few more significant hits on the list, pursuing the studio as an instrument, but then descending into a bit of a sales lull in the output of actual hits. Instead of becoming a has-been, perhaps by about the late 60s he would have been instrumental in utilising synthesisers, sequencers, multitrack recorders, and perhaps influencing the rising stars — the Roberts and the Alans — of the synth hardware hack scene of the time.

If the return of Eddie Cochran as a prominent electronic musician made a significant enough impact, he would have influenced the Rolling Stones, Hendrix, and that minor group from Liverpool (well, certainly McCartney). I suspect the wave of influence would consequently spread to the free-and-easy Krautrock participants such as Can; Neu; Organisation.

Who knows. Kraftwerk as we now know them might well have started from a different seed, their same process being applied to a different starting point like a Fibonacci series starting with a different pair of numbers. Would Kraftwerk starting from a profound influence from the organised sequence-synth days of Eddie Cochran be a different Kraftwerk to the one which we got?

Alternate history with no mention of The Führer, well done :) Certainly an interesting, somewhat obsessive take. I admire that in a man (not so much in a Führer).

• I seem to remember Kraftwerk were virtually ignored by everyone except hardcore electronic fans in 1980's UK - in particular music journo's like Morely did very little to raise their profile, he was too busy fawning over Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Of course he loves Kraftwerk now that everyone else does, which is the case for every band documentary he appears in. Rentahead. As for Kraftwerk being more inspirational that the Beatles....oh please...

• Dum dum dum
    Hey! Tra la la

• edited December 2015
    Can I ask a favour? Does anyone recognise anything on Falk Grieffenhagen’s desk? The iPad software, I mean. I know what the video gear is. It’s a Blackmagic Design Smartview HD and a Smartview Duo (they’re both rackmount — the big one is the HD, the small pair is the Duo, usually for monitoring multiview + program, but in this case monitoring the stereo pair feeds) (which suggests that there’s also a Blackmagic Design Ultrastudio 4K or 3D behind that lot somewhere, or maybe a Decklink 3D or better sitting in a PCIe slot of something).

That lot I’m familiar with, but what I want to know is what’s the iPad four-rectangle thing? Is that something cooked up in Lemur (which I haven’t got) or TB Midi Stuff? Or something else?
  • I caught Kraftwerk live last year, looked like the same set up as above but not sure what they were using. The audience was given polarized 3D glasses and that screen behind them projected 3D visuals. Some of them were cool but overall they had a kind of lame 90s look ... maybe that was to go with the retro music. Still was a good show, was cool to hear Kraftwerk on a nice sound system.

Monzo, what band were you in that got bumped by DM?

• @monzo said:
    I seem to remember Kraftwerk were virtually ignored by everyone except hardcore electronic fans in 1980's UK - in .

errr, really ???