Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elastic Drums is now available in the app store

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id817419955?mt=8

Elastic Drums is a music app with 6 channels of synthesized drum sounds, a step sequencer and 4 fx channels, all tweakable in an elastic way. The sound range is from analog "oldschool" beatbox to the weirdest effect drone soundscapes.

Features:

• 6 synth channels with 10 different percussion synth engines (kick, snare, hit, clap, tom, ... fm, grain)
  • 12 parameters for each synth engine
  • automation for each parameter via knob recording or velocity
  • 4 send effect channels with 2x11 mono effects and 2 x 9 stereo effects
  • automation for all of the 8 possible effect parameters via xy pad
  • master effects (stutter, delay, compressor ...)
  • 16 step sequencer for the 6 channels, each with it's own tempo multiplier & length
  • record audio and export to Soundcloud or Audioshare
  • email audio recordings and presets
  • iOS 8 supported

Because all sounds get generated in realtime, the app is cpu heavy! iPhones 5 and greater can handle it with no problem, on iPhone 4s and iPad 2 effects 3 and 4 get switched off by the engine automatically to save some cpu power.

Plans for upcoming versions:

• genuine iPad version (landscape instead of portrait)
  • Audiobus support
  • IAA support
  • midi support
  • new sequencer features (rolls, etc.)
  • new synth engines (tom tom, sampler, etc)

The Sound Test Room pre-release demo and tutorial: http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/elastic-drums-pre-release-demo/

Related thread: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/6574/video-eleastic-drums-pre-release-demo-and-tutorial-very-very-cool/

Comments

• edited December 2014

Thanks for the heads-up and thanks go the dev for 50% introductory price.

Question: It's universal app or iPhone / iPad scalable? Thanks.

• I wasn't expecting this until early in the new year. Happy Xmas !

• edited December 2014

WHAAAA?! This was probably THE app I was waiting for. Embarrassment of (transferred)(extracted)(forfeited) riches these past few weeks. I remember being very impressed by Doug's video. I'm a sucker for rhythm drum apps, even the mediocre ones, but this one looked well above mediocre. Thanks for posting!

Edit: as of 4pm U.S. Eastern Time, I still don't see it in the store. Probably any minute now.

• I just sent Oliver a message about this last night asking when it was coming. Instant buy. Can't wait until it gets AB and midi.

• does elastic drums allow you to assign parameters to a midi controller?

• Holy crap this is fun! I very much hope this one becomes universal soon. Excellent drum app!

• Isn't it already universal?

• Okay, so it actually is in the U.S. store. If you have iTunes on a computer, sometimes you can buy it with an App Store link before a "search" for the app will display anything.

This thing has immense potential. That also makes me a little bummed that it releases without AB or IAA, because sometimes people rush out for a first impression and then forget about or dismiss apps that don't work "out of the box".

It does have AudioShare export, but it's a little fuzzy how it works. I think it has both a "Manual Record" which seems to just start recording everything (including silence if you aren't playing anything yet), and a "Play Record", which I guess is triggered by pressing play?

Above that seems to be the option I want - for loops. It's called "synced Rec Len:" and you just press the number of measures you want recorded (1, 2, 4, 8), and it will start recording that length as soon as play is pressed. But there's no red indicator or anything that tells you when it is or isn't recording. You then go directly back to the record options menu and pick AudioShare export, and there's your loop. So it works, but it needs some tweaking.

Other than that, looks really good. The strength is in the "automation for everything" and effects. Lots of similarities to SeekBeats in that it is a Synth drum engine with a sequencer, but it already has a few advantages over SeekBeats including AudioCopy/Paste and a "trigger" button to hear a preview of the sound you are tweaking (drives me NUTS that SeekBeats still doesn't do that).

You can control "velocity" per step, but it's done differently - you would move the Volume knob while the instrument is playing and then automate it. Different, but I could totally see it working, and maybe even being preferable in some ways.

• edited December 2014

@telecharge said:

Isn't it already universal?

It is universal. What I think was meant is that is portrait only (per description) for now - developer is adding an iPad landscape version later.

• Dear Developer; Have bought your app as a result of the AB forum, please do not forget about the AB part :)

• edited December 2014

ummm, the version I found has the "1X" or "2X" options in the bottom right. That's not universal.

I should mention I downloaded the app off the link in the OP.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Dear Developer; Have bought your app as a result of the AB forum, please do not forget about the AB part :)

It shows up on the AB-list if loaded first, but gives an error. Looks like they haven't forgotten, just need to tweak it.

• Yes, it's an iPhone app with iPad adjustments coming early 2015 according to the dev.

• edited December 2014

Hey, wow, I am impressed by all the interest, that's really great to hear !! :-)

BUT: After a first rejection from Apple I did quickly disable Audiobus for another fast Apple review (which took 13 days). Otherwise it would have not been in the store before christmas. The next update will have Audiobus in again, but I am afraid, it will not be before christmas, rather end of the year, January 2015.

I hope you have some fun with the app nevertheless. Oliver

• Oooh... FM4 and now this.

Good times. Going to buy now.

• YAY FOR SET LENGTH RECORD AND AUDIOSHARE EXPORT!

• @magnum38 Thanks for the info, Oliver...and congrats.

• Instant purchase - been waiting for this one :)

• @magnum38 said:

Hey, wow, I am impressed by all the interest, that's really great to hear !! :-)

BUT: After a first rejection from Apple I did quickly disable Audiobus for another fast Apple review (which took 13 days). Otherwise it would have not been in the store before christmas. The next update will have Audiobus in again, but I am afraid, it will not be before christmas, rather end of the year, January 2015.

I hope you have some fun with the app nevertheless. Oliver

looking forward to trying out your app, will you have landscape mode sorted in the next update, and also is it possible to assign the parameters of your app to a midi controller?

regards

• Instant purchase also! I was waiting for this and flux::fx. Both came at the same time! Early xmas!

• edited December 2014

Wow. This nuts. Been playing with it for about an hour.

It's like... err.... I don't know.... DM1 but synth based with effectrix and Turnado type stuff thrown in with real fluid automation.

The FX are really great. Ive only just touched the surface. I love the master freeze and slow down. I love the fact that every FX (pretty much) seems to be on an XY pad.

It's 6 different synths. But there seem to be a whole set of different synth types to choose from for each synth. And then presets within that. Plus you can design and save your own presets or hit random.

It's pretty mind blowing. And the key thing for me is the ease of automation and the simplicity of creating a 4, 8 or 16 bar drum loop.

The big question for me though, is whether I'd really switch my workflow from programming drums inside Gadget (or Nanostudio) and all the ease of that and flexibility to add fills and variation vs programming them in an app like this and copying loops accross. Would be interested on any advice on the latter. Anyone really doing that? Seems like a lot of hassle :).

• Well it's going to have AB/IAA added soon so loop copying isn't the only option for long.

• edited December 2014

@matt I'd say elastic drums really excels at generate crazy drum sounding patterns. Just begs to be tweaked if you like experimental sounding beats.

• edited December 2014

This is the monkeys bananas, and every bit as bonkers as I'd hoped it would be. Still feels a bit rough around the edges on the iPad but I really don't care, I love it.

For my nutty noise it's a dream come true, and fits very snuggly inside my spaceworld workflow, but It'll be interesting to hear how others are finding it, and how it fits in a more conventional music setup.

This, Egoist, and Yellofier Electrify have provided me with sound tools beyond my wildest dreams, and I'm looking forward to putting this one through Turnado when AB arrives. The intro pricing is very much appreciated, and if the developers are ever in Wales I'll happily buy them a pint down the local!

• Plop, bop, blat, ping, my heads a buzz, whoa SeekBeats has a rival, sensory overload! tweak, TWEAK!

• LOVE that it has a grain synth and that you can design morphing grainscapes just by messing with decay/release, automation, and master fx...

not sure if it necessarily supersedes Seekbeats for me, since SB has more tweakable randomization and envelopes, and playable pads - between these two i'm content!

speaking of randomizer, i just hit "randomize everything" on my new preset and it seemed to automatically overwrite my preset?? :[

• It is pretty mind blowing.

I don't have seek beats.

'Drums' is a misnoma really. It should be 'ElasticNuttyNoise" or something.

Recording this app live... Mmm. Would be a big change in workflow for me. Would require me to move from Gadget/NanoStudio to Cubasis I think. Not sure I want to do this. But tempting in a way. Especially after playing with FM4 today. Hmmm... I like 'self contained' though.

WISH GADGET WOULD GET AUDIO TRACKS!!!

• Yes. I think it's overwriting presets without you pressing save. Which is a bit odd.

Some of the factory presets loops are great by the way. (Some are a bit of a cacophony of course).

• I just had a crash when creating a pattern, and it wiped out everything I'd been doing - would be nice if it 'remembered' where you were when re-opening as some apps do.

Amazing how different sounds have different parameters and effects, lots of tweaking potential here.

I've got SeekBeats, and this is SeekBeats x 100. I like SeekBeats but the randomise function can result in some unusable noises, even for my strange tastes. Would love to see a random feature on here though, it can take a bit of time to build up a sound palette.

I just love this app though, and can't wait to record some new stuff with it.