Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI switchable input channel selector

Hey everybody, I would like to ask if there is anything out there that will let me select left or right input channels using an apogee one (via CCK) by MIDI controller? I was expecting to be able to do this directly inside ToneStack with the ABY splitter which unfortunately doesn't work properly because the signals bleed into each other. The next idea was to save input configurations with AB which works. Except that it doesn't work that well in a live situation without a MIDI foot pedal. The purpose by the way is to play my double neck guitar/bass into different amps and FX and layer them with loopy. Running two amp sims simultaneously with the inputs selected accordingly seems to be too cpu/RAM hungry together with loopy and a drums app. Sometimes I also use Jamsynth or other guitar to MIDI apps plus sunrizer too, so...
One other solution I thought might be to use something like audulus or mobmuplat (which I bought both a while ago but never bothered to learn). Could that work at all? If I succeeded in patching the inputs correctly there, would that even be MIDI controllable?
I also asked @TTRGames if he could possible add some MIDI controllable mutes and iPhone support to his MIMIX and DMiMiX apps to help me out. Not sure if that will happen.
Equipment wise I am using an iPhone 6, CCK which I soldered directly to a powered USB hub, apogee one with modded input to have guitar and bass on separate channels, and a nanokontrol transformed into a 12 switched foot controller, a USB breath controller and finally a Steinberg CMC-PD as pad controller for drums.
So I would be extremely thankful for any help to get this problem solved!

Comments

• You can use AUFX apps with 100% dry signal as a workaround. Set DUB up with channel 1 (left only). Set Space up on channel 2(right only). Then Use a MIDI binding to each app's"output gain". Then you would have to set up your foot pedal to send just the right CC to toggle between "-inf" gain and "0". Kind of a pain to set up but it could definitely work for a one foot tap toggle.

• Ha, that sounds like a great workaround! I'll give that one a go! Thanks a lot!

• I could build you a mobmuplat patch to do this. Let me know what cc# and midi channel and I'll throw something together for you when I get a chance (tomorrow probably).

• @otem_relik wow, thanks for that generous offer! Do you think it might even be possible to do it with MIDI learn? Or would that get very complicated? The thing is that I have a total of 3 MIDI controllers attached so it gets somewhat challenging. I don't have my mind made up really which one should be on which channel and stuff. Also I'm not entirely sure but I think ideally I Would assign just one cc (I think currently CC1 CH2) to toggle between left and right channel. So if you could make me something like that that would be awesome! Meanwhile I'm experimenting with @Hmtx workaround with some success. It's a little tricky with AB state saving failing to reload my configuration at first try. And then some other little glitches like the hub disconnecting briefly. Controlling the AUFX output gain with 0 and 127 of course makes the volume go to +3.5 instead of 0 but that's not a biggie. Jamup doesn't seem to recognize both incoming signals and only processes the left channel even when 1/2 is selected. Ampkit works, though. I'll try ToneStack next. I've been having many AB state saving failures with my setup so I'm not sure what actually causes it. The hardware being an iPhone 6 surely shouldn't be a bottleneck here. I'm still running 8.1.0 in case something would require a jailbreak. Maybe that's part of the problem too. Or it could be a problem with my hub and apogee setup. Troubleshooting...

• Unfortunately I've never tried to make MIDI learn happen in MobMuPlat although I think it can be done. I have tomorrow off work and I can put together a quick patch for you using cc1 ch2 (It would be really easy to switch the cc & ch later if you need to). Will the controller be sending toggle or momentary messages?

• Nevermind about MIDI learn then. Maybe I'll figure that one out later on. So the pedal is a modded nanokontrol 1 so I could set the button behavior to momentary or toggle. Right now I have it set up as a toggle and maybe that's better because the led will show the state it is in then. So yes, it'll be CC1 CH2 for now. Would changing that require a computer or could it be done within mobmuplat? Thanks again!

• Hi. What breath control do you have? And it works with which apps? I'm searching for an iPad solution. Tks!

• It's a TEControl: http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller
    It works very well through the CCK. The only thing is you need a computer to configure it the way you want before you can really use it on iOS devices.

• Nice. You really helped me. Thanks, man. =)

• You're welcome! And it works with most apps that have core Midi Support.

• Hey Munibeast, I built the patch this morning. I gave it a quick test and all seems to be working. Let me know if it works out for you.

InputSel

• @otem_rellik Thanks a ton man, this works very well! It took me a moment to realize I had to select the right MIDI source first. So this is great for Jamup and Tonestack. Unfortunately for Ampkit it seems like it would have to send the stereo input to mono output either left or right in order to work because Ampkit only accepts 1 channel at a time. I asked their support to change that, though, so maybe they will.

• I made some changes to a copy of your patch and combined the dac out to left so I can use that with Ampkit. This is so cool! Also I changed the looks in the MobMuPlat Editor to match my taste better.