Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No need for the battery draining AudioCopy App from Retronyms

I've mentioned before that there seems to be a bug in AudioCopy 2 from Retronyms that drains your battery even when the app is not being used, but is in the background.

I've written to Retronyms on Twitter about this

But so far no reply.

Today I realized that I don't need to have the offending app installed :-D

I prefer to use the excellent AudioShare program, which supports the AudioCopy 2 pasteboard, but when Korg Gadget announced that they added support for AudioCopy I thought I needed the app.

Turns out, it's only needed if you want to press the "Sampling" option in Gadget to import a sound, as this is set to launch AudioCopy. But if you just sample directly in AudioShare or some other app, you can easily paste this into Gadget via the AudioCopy pasteboard which works without the app.

So, if you are tired of force quitting AudioCopy to save your battery, just delete the app ;-)

Comments

• Thanks for the tip. :)

• edited December 2014

Technically yes, except in Gadget all your samples will be named "General Pasteboard".

Korg could do us all a favor and let us name our samples within Gadget.

Edit: Unless installing it then deleting it somehow still registers it as being on the device... Hmmm...

• I wonder if the people developing those apps actually use them or have a UX/QA department. First they launched the app without the ability to delete samples, but then they couldn't think a bit further when fixing that to add renaming capabilities.

• @raz It's really strange and annoying. I honestly don't understand it. Not picking on Korg here either, because it's great fun using Turnado and Wow from Sugar Bytes knowing you't can't delete user patches from within the app, and that it's been a known issue since the beginning. There are other apps too. I don't know, I'd take a little more pride in my work, but that's just me.

• @1P18 said:

Edit: Unless installing it then deleting it somehow still registers it as being on the device... Hmmm...

And no, this doesn't work. Didn't really think it would.

You'd think Apple might have some interest in ensuring apps could be more functional together, but they instead seem to be focused on how they might pimp their products at the next event.

• Apple has had a longstanding iOS view that apps should NOT work together, which keeps it more secure. However, that makes things difficult for users who would love to see things work together for sure.

• @mrufino1 said:

Apple has had a longstanding iOS view that apps should NOT work together, which keeps it more secure. However, that makes things difficult for users who would love to see things work together for sure.

At least they seem to be opening up in iOS8 with all the extension stuff.

• What about the new stem export in gadget?I did not try it yet but i assume it's not possible without the ACP2 app (gadget is the only reason i installed ACP2 again) or where are the stems saved?

• I'll be deleting the AudioCopy app. I'm still not necessarily able to name recorded clips and it makes everything slower. I just get it into AudioShare any way possible and then rename it there.

• edited December 2014

@mrufino1 said:

Apple has had a longstanding iOS view that apps should NOT work together, which keeps it more secure. However, that makes things difficult for users who would love to see things work together for sure.

Something as basic as a clipboard shouldn't be that hard to implement. It basically involves import and export, which still allows apps to remain more or less isolated.

Best part about this is that if an app doesn't use the Retronyms app, like Sunvox for example, then you have to use AudioShare. Yes that's right, I have two required apps for something as simple as a clipboard, something that really shouldn't even require one app.

• Agreed. I didn't say I agreed with apple, only that I understood. ;-)

• @1p18 clipboard is actually standard within iOS and if two apps support it, you shouldn't need AudioShare at all. AS isn't adding any magic there - it just supports everything with grace.

• edited December 2014

@syrupcore said:

@1p18 clipboard is actually standard within iOS and if two apps support it, you shouldn't need AudioShare at all. AS isn't adding any magic there - it just supports everything with grace.

You're right, I confused myself trying wrap my head around the different acp options. I keep the Retronyms app only to name Gadget samples, but Retronyms just gave me a reason to delete their app with today's update: they added a sound store. Yeah, that's just what I'm interested in, loops from "artists" not good enough to put out their own release.

Korg just needs to let us name user samples in Gadget for freaks sake.

• Retronyms just gave me a reason to delete their app with today's update: they added a sound store

haha, really?

• @syrupcore said:

Retronyms just gave me a reason to delete their app with today's update: they added a sound store

haha, really?

Yeah. App now deleted. Thing is, the default acp is still tied to the app, so every time you acp you see the prompt to enhance the acp by downloading the app. Really lame that Apple did that, and not only do Korg rely on it but also Sugar Bytes too, so you have to have the app to rename samples in their apps.

And yeah, now I remember why I dislike it, the clipboard isn't standard in the traditional sense. They let a third party take control of it, and now it's all screwed up as I noted above.

Can it really be that hard? However many billions Apple brings in, and they can't get a clipboard right. Maybe they just thought they'd throw Retronyms a bone? And now you got this loop store. Genius. Apple is slippin'.

• did you happen to go to retronyms fb page and let them know how you feel?

• @1p18 that still sounds off. The general clipboard is 100% iOS. Certain apps my have Retronyms prompts but apple doesn't by default.

• edited December 2014

The AudioCopy content store is fairly small and the app has scrolling ads on the bottom which are quite small on both the iPad and iPhone but might explain the battery drain some people have complained about as the scrolling text is updated via the web. To be fair, I don't think you could make them any smaller unless you removed them completely. You can upload to SoundCloud and it has open in so you can transfer sounds between apps. It might be undesirable to have several copies of audio files in different apps but you could certainly pick a primary one and transfer files to other apps depending upon what their audio file import/export support features are like.

This is another example of Retronyms not supporting Audiobus as it doesn't have any Audiobus functionality even though it'd make sense to use it in the input and output slots.

• I sent Retronyms a tweet about the battery stuff a couple of months ago too. Pointed them at J Lilla's tweet with the ios8 battery usage.

• @1P18 said:

I keep the Retronyms app only to name Gadget samples

lol ... same here ;-)

• What would be funny, is an app that saved files in photo/video format to the shared camera roll, but I think Apple would have kittens if you tried that, come on Apple a shared document folder please?

• Next version of AudioShare will completely destroy AudioCopy as it will implement document picker and file provider extensions meaning all apps that support Document Picker will be able to access the files inside AudioShare and AudioShare will also be able to access other apps documents as long as they supply a file provider extension.

• Looking forward to that @Samu!

• @Samu said:

Next version of AudioShare will completely destroy AudioCopy as it will implement document picker and file provider extensions meaning all apps that support Document Picker will be able to access the files inside AudioShare and AudioShare will also be able to access other apps documents as long as they supply a file provider extension.

Does Gadget support this?

• @klangsulfat said:

@Samu said:

Next version of AudioShare will completely destroy AudioCopy as it will implement document picker and file provider extensions meaning all apps that support Document Picker will be able to access the files inside AudioShare and AudioShare will also be able to access other apps documents as long as they supply a file provider extension.

Does Gadget support this?

It's possible to 'AudioCopy' from AudioShare to Gadget, but i hope Korg listens to customers and implements support for iOS8 File Picker...

• @1P18 said:

Yeah. App now deleted. Thing is, the default acp is still tied to the app, so every time you acp you see the prompt to enhance the acp by downloading the app. Really lame that Apple did that, and not only do Korg rely on it but also Sugar Bytes too, so you have to have the app to rename samples in their apps.

And yeah, now I remember why I dislike it, the clipboard isn't standard in the traditional sense. They let a third party take control of it, and now it's all screwed up as I noted above.

Can it really be that hard? However many billions Apple brings in, and they can't get a clipboard right. Maybe they just thought they'd throw Retronyms a bone? And now you got this loop store. Genius. Apple is slippin'.

yep,noticed this too now.Dislike.But at least it's still working without the app.

Btw,i understand the wish to make money with this app but i would like to have at least an IAP where i can get rid of all ads and the content store.

• Check their 'teaser' on the tube

• @Peter321 said:

@mrufino1 said:

At least they seem to be opening up in iOS8 with all the extension stuff.

Ever since getting into this iOS music scene I've always been a bit surprised that they let AB into GB!

• edited December 2014

Followed up with Retronyms again yesterday on Twitter. They said (3 months after a few of us let them know about the problem):

@syrupcore Its been reported. For now just be sure to force close AudioCopy when your not using it.

And suffer its unreasonably long loading time each time you want to use it. Ho hum.

It is a free app so I'm not going to complain at them but damn, this sort of thing is very useful on ios and damn I wish it was better. All devs everywhere: AudioShareSDK please!