Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hi guys, my new app is live: SoundPrism Electro (now in a Bundle with SP Pro)

Hi all,

As you might know I'm not only involved with Audiobus but my other company Audanika makes the SoundPrism apps. We've not released a new one in over three years now but it's time. It's definitely time.

EDIT: If you already own SoundPrism Pro you can get Electro at a reduced price... or vice versa.

Introducing: SoundPrism Electro

Here are some of its new features:

• A beautiful new sound engine with rock-solid polyphony and great-sounding effects. We've worked together with Swiss sound designer Oliver Imseng who has hand-crafted SoundPrism Electro’s new sounds to work beautifully with each other.
  • An innovative new way to control SoundPrism Electro: we've watched closely how musicians have been using SoundPrism, and we came up with two brand new playing modes.
  • A ribbon controller for live manipulation of the built-in effects.
  • An amazing new interactive tutorial system. Now SoundPrism Electro can walk you through its interface and teach you how to play.
  • Audiobus suport including state saving

... and for you synth heads out there:

• Core MIDI in and out in case you'd like to control (multiple) synths with it

SoundPrism Electro will be the first in a series of SoundPrism apps with different sound sets and ways to add expression and build chords. We’re releasing it for iPads running iOS 8.

You can get it now at an introductory price of just $US 4.99!

I'll be checking this thread during the next hours to answer your questions so please feel free to comment!

Comments

• Congratulations on the new product, and good luck with it. I love SoundPrism but use it to play other synths so really have no interest in this version. The ribbon controller for the original would be a welcome enhancement/update but not a new product.

• Thank you!

We've thought about how to include new feature in the tried and tested SoundPrism Pro but there was simply no way to change its interface without forcing people to re-learn how to play with it, since we would had to re-arrange or even remove buttons.

This new SoundPrism app has new pitch selections and actually different play modes. It also works as a MIDI controller, so we think it has the best features of SoundPrism Pro and the some new stuff that we couldn't fit into the previous app.

We see our apps as instruments like guitars. Once they're out and users use them in their day to day setup their interface and sound should really not be changed anymore.

• Good luck. Thanks for making it multilingual.

• edited December 2014

Oh this is both MIDI and internal sound engine. I need to read the point lists a bit closer. Totally awesome! And totally bought. Still use th old one, but this looks like a nice upgrade

• edited December 2014

@ChrisG said:

Oh this is both MIDI and internal sound engine. I need to read the point lists a bit closer. Totally awesome! And totally bought. Still use th old one, but this looks like a nice upgrade

I've highlighted that point because it might be relevant to most of you.
    Sweet. Let me know what you think of the tutorial system (it's under 'help' in the top menu).

• Do I have to? Go through a tutorial I mean? Aww :( K, I'll see if I have the stomach for it..

• Haha, you don't have to. It's just that we spent more than a year working on it and I'd really like to know if you guys like it or not.

• edited December 2014

Got a Q (no I haven't got it yet, gonna purchase some US store creds later Today)...The ribbon, can that control assignable CCs via midi? If not, possible to implement down the road?

• @ChrisG said:

Got a Q (no I haven't got it yet, gonna purchase some US store creds later Today)...The ribbon, can that control assignable CCs via midi? If not, possible to implement down the road?

It can be assigned to MIDI CC ... 74 I think? It's all in the help section under 'midi' :p

• Haha! Ok cc 74 will do.

• @Sebastian said:

Thank you!

We've thought about how to include new feature in the tried and tested SoundPrism Pro but there was simply no way to change its interface without forcing people to re-learn how to play with it, since we would had to re-arrange or even remove buttons.

This new SoundPrism app has new pitch selections and actually different play modes. It also works as a MIDI controller, so we think it has the best features of SoundPrism Pro and the some new stuff that we couldn't fit into the previous app.

I'll be honest this sounds like marketing guff to me. You also had the choice of launching a new version with the ability to add sound-packs in much the same manner as Animoog (as well as upgrading the existing product) but you decided to go the route you did as much for commercial decisions as user focussed ones (I would guess).

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new product range Sebastian as I have a huge amount of respect for the innovations you've brought to IOS audio but please don't become one of those developers that veils commercial decisions as user choice.

From a personal perspective I only use SoudPrism Pro as a midi controller and would have welcomed more sophisticated expression tools as part of a paid upgrade. I don't want to clog up my IOS device with audio samples that I'm never going to use.

• edited December 2014

@jonmoore

The old app is actually also "cloggin up" your device with samples. So delete that one, buy this, looks the same size-wise. A very simple $4.99 upgrade path (also preferable to unreliable IAP systems IMO).

• edited December 2014

@jonmoore said:

@Sebastian said:

Thank you!

I'll be honest this sounds like marketing guff to me. You also had the choice of launching a new version with the ability to add sound-packs in much the same manner as Animoog (as well as upgrading the existing product) but you decided to go the route you did as much for commercial decisions as user focussed ones (I would guess).

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new product range Sebastian as I have a huge amount of respect for the innovations you've brought to IOS audio but please don't become one of those developers that veils commercial decisions as user choice.

From a personal perspective I only use SoudPrism Pro as a midi controller and would have welcomed more sophisticated expression tools as part of a paid upgrade. I don't want to clog up my IOS device with audio samples that I'm never going to use.

No marketing guff at all. Here's just one example of a conversation that happened yesterday on Twitter: Auxy changes the sound of their drums, old drum sounds get kicked out, new ones are better. Jakob Haq complains.

We've experienced stuff like this in the past.
    We've changed the interface of SoundPrism some time in 2011 and we still get requests from people 3 years later asking for the old design.

Besides that: In-App Purchases don't really work for apps that are already paid. And freemium is just not a good business model for music apps, especially since it turns users into the product, instead of the product itself.

My personal view (which you're free to disagree with) is that you should let small indy developers make new apps and if you don't like them, just don't buy them. Chances are that they've put a lot of thought into their decisions and actually have the best intentions for their users because that's who pays their rent.

• edited December 2014

Hey there,
    the swiss dude signing in.

Please also feedback on the sounds itself. What do you like, what inspires you, what sounds would you like to see coming to ios ? :-)

Soundprism Electro has been such a great journey so far. I am so anxious to see and hear what you will create with it.

Thanks for your support and comments!

• @Sebastian said:

My personal view (which you're free to disagree with) is that you should let small indy developers make new apps and if you don't like them, just don't buy them. Chances are that they've thought a lot about their decisions.

I'm attempting to provide constructive feedback, and not negative criticism because you're an indy developer Sebastian. The roadmap you've shown looks to be portfolio of SoudPrism apps each with different expression controls (that suits their individual soundsets) and I can understand this decision but a version of SoundPrism that functions purely as a Midi controller (with a minimal soundset) and allows multiple expression controllers is also something that I think many long term users would find valuable.

To say 'let me build what I want to build and if you don't like it don't buy it' doesn't sound very customer focussed or professional for that matter to me. :(

• this looks very good, but i'm on 7.1.2, I'm still gonna get it though… 2014 has been an eventful year with an even more eventful year ending. It's like the novelty side of iOS music apps is kind of falling by the wayside and the next level is already here. For beatmakers like myself It's a very inspiring time, we finally get to make beats all of the fucking time no matter where we are. Of course this was possible with apps before this year but what happened this year is that the focus of workflow has been brought up to par with features.. apps like soundprism and orhpion have always been about workflow and of course samplr, sector, and tc-11 but generally speaking there was allot left to be desired and now it looks like the fun and intuitiveness is reaching new heights. It's like everything is going back to the ethos and workflow roots that thumbjam planted.

• It's worth adding I've already purchased the new version as it's mere pennies. The thing I'm being critical of is a brand new app for each soundset/expression control.

• @jonmoore said:

@Sebastian said:

My personal view (which you're free to disagree with) is that you should let small indy developers make new apps and if you don't like them, just don't buy them. Chances are that they've thought a lot about their decisions.

I'm attempting to provide constructive feedback, and not negative criticism because you're an indy developer Sebastian. The roadmap you've shown looks to be portfolio of SoudPrism apps each with different expression controls (that suits their individual soundsets) and I can understand this decision but a version of SoundPrism that functions purely as a Midi controller (with a minimal soundset) and allows multiple expression controllers is also something that I think many long term users would find valuable.

To say 'let me build what I want to build and if you don't like it don't buy it' doesn't sound very customer focussed or professional for that matter to me. :(

Very valid criticism and we're strongly considering making a beefed up multi-featured MIDI controller that caters exactly to people like you.

The apps we're releasing now (with SoundPrism Electro being the first) are our way making something for those users who enjoy having something that they can fire up and have it sound awesome without having to spend any time on setup.

SoundPrism is an excellent MIDI controller and we're not forgetting that.

• mmpmmp
    edited December 2014

Nice vid. Even though electro is not my kind of music, this appears to have turned out well.

I think this format would lend itself very well to a strings (either sampled and/or synth) type app!

• @Sebastian said:

Very valid criticism and we're strongly considering making a beefed up multi-featured MIDI controller that caters exactly to people like you.

SoundPrism is an excellent MIDI controller and we're not forgetting that.

Great to hear. The unique thing that SoundPrism provides is a unique way of exploring chord progressions on a device that's not best suited to playing chords. My studio setup now includes four permanently installed iPads which are mainly used as midi/expression controllers using apps like Lemur & SoundPrism (I do also make use of the Wolfgang Palm/PPG apps and Animoog as sound sources). Through the use of Silent Way hardware/plugins these IOS devices are most often being used to control analog hardware in unique ways.

• I can not use this until I get a new Ipad next year sometime , I am leaving my current ipad on 7.0 because I needed all of my apps I have working. I am still interested though. Anymore videos coming?

• @o_imseng said:

Hey there,
    the swiss dude signing in.

Please also feedback on the sounds itself. What do you like, what inspires you, what sounds would you like to see coming to ios ? :-)

Soundprism Electro has been such a great journey so far. I am so anxious to see and hear what you will create with it.

Thanks for your support and comments!

Hi mr. soundman :) I haven't gotten a chance to use the app yet, but I'd like to mention some thoughts because I've always been struck by how you guys take sound prisms , development so seriously, it really comes through. I've already given Sebastian my wishes for the theme of a theory based midi controller that I'm sorely missing and like wise when it comes to sounds I think there is a big hole out there for organic sounds, you know stuff that sounds like bloom, with basses and leads and plucked sounds that go with that kind of vibe. jewish harps and thumb kalimbas etc… instruments that are very warm. It would be nice to have a nice heavy set of these kinds of organic sounds in one place matched up with you guys killer workflow. I make basically instrumental hiphop and these are the kinds of sounds that you can really tell a story with as well as really lend themselves well to being manipulated and mangled.

• ^^ +1 to @mmp's SoundPrism Symphono suggestion!

Based on the vid, that would be very cool, hope to see it :)

The apps we're releasing now (with SoundPrism Electro being the first) are our way making something for those users who enjoy having something that they can fire up and have it sound awesome without having to spend any time on setup.

And for less than the price of a six-pack, that's pretty cool. I like control, but I hate having to set everything up. Kudos to this developer, and that Audiobus fellow as well ;)

• Oh , I thought I should mention that the original SoundPrism icon is missing from the developers app list on the home page of the forum.

• @Tritonman2 said:

Oh , I thought I should mention that the original SoundPrism icon is missing from the developers app list on the home page of the forum.

We've removed it and replaced it with SP Electro. Two SoundPrism Apps in the side bar would be a bit overkill.

• SoundPrism Pro has always been one of my fundamental instruments and composing tools, can't do without it, so I just got Electro two seconds ago. In just playing it for a minute I've suddenly got a head full of new tunes! This app is awesome: both the sounds and the playing structure are unique and fantastic! The only bad thing is I now for to put it away and go to work. Thanks Sebastian for another Epic app!!!

• @NoiseHorse said:

SoundPrism Pro has always been one of my fundamental instruments and composing tools, can't do without it, so I just got Electro two seconds ago. In just playing it for a minute I've suddenly got a head full of new tunes! This app is awesome: both the sounds and the playing structure are unique and fantastic! The only bad thing is I now for to put it away and go to work. Thanks Sebastian for another Epic app!!!

Uh... any chance we could use this statement of yours in our App Store description? Pretty please? :)

• edited December 2014

@Sebastian MIDI Issues: in your help section it talks about the benefits of having a standard midi output so there will be no issues with misconfiguration. Unfortunately iOS has several different flavors of midi implementation out there and not having the ability to adjust midi output is more problematic than going through midi setup. As it is now, you can't even turn midi off so if you're trying to play another app with a midi sequencer and it doesn't allow you to specify which virtual midi channel it listens to, you're screwed. How about an option for standard setup and custom setups for people who want the flexibility to route the midi to get the workflow they want?

I do like the idea of the various sounds in the app designed to go together and it explains why there aren't tons of different sounds in the app.

The help section is good and in small bite size chunks. In cadences, you use the term, "swish", I'm thinking, "swipe" would be more appropriate.

• I mostly play Metal, and Rock. occasionally I lay down some Techno. But, I love the first version. Gonna get this as soon as I get home!