Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What apps do you want to see in 2015?

edited December 2014 in General App Discussion

We're just around the corner from the new year, and I know a lot of developers follow this forum and might get some ideas from what we want in the changing landscape of iOS music. I'll start off with my wishes, but I hope others chime in with what they'd like to see.

1) An Audiobus/IAA compatible app that gives access to System Audio (a la Soundflower/Audio Hijack Pro)!!! There is a wealth of sound sources out there without AB/IAA waiting to be recorded, but as it stands you're more or less limited to an approach straight out of the mid-90s to capture any of those sounds. It boggles my mind that the only way to capture audio from a video or non AB/IAA source is to record it onto my phone/computer/sampler etc. from my iPad, instead of a direct capture on the device.

2) A decent Arp 2600 emulation. I know Arturia has a longstanding PC recreation, although I've read that a lot of purists say it doesn't sound like the original. Given how knobby and hands on the original is (as well as being cost prohibitive for most), it seems like iOS would be an ideal platform for this. iVCS3 is a step in the right direction for giving a pretty faithful recreation of this iconic synth, so I really hope someone steps up soon.

3) Casio CZ series-there are a few developers who have put out recreations of Yamaha's FM synths, but I'd love to see some iOS versions of Casio's Phase Distortion take on FM.

4) This is a long shot, but I think the Kawai XD-5 drum synth is one of the most unique sounding pieces of gear I've ever laid hands on. As a rompler, I don't think it would be too difficult to bang up something similar in iOS with more hands on control.

5) Bring on the midi sequencers. I'd like to see more things that go beyond 4/4, single midi channel options. Different time signatures, multiple channels, Euclidean Rythms etc...give me a reason to sell my Elektron gear and entice new forms of composition.

Those are just a few ideas I've been chewing on...go!

Comments

• edited December 2014

I'd like to see something like VST incorporated in Cubasis (or maybe a rival sequencer?). Audiobus is great and IAA is a step in that direction, but there needs to be even closer integration between sequencer and instruments (and effects) so that the experience is much more seamless than it currently is. And the ability to change time sigs and tempo - heck, even my 1980s Dr.T sequencer could do that!

A CS80 emulation from Arturia. I wouldn't grumble at any other ports of the Arturia synths too.

A "real" sampling keyboard with a good range of built-in sounds.

Peace and love and understanding throughout the World. Maybe that one isn't actually an app...

• Auria with MIDI :D

• I would love to see an App that produces effects similar in quality and range to the Eventide H9, I would be happy to support the same in-app algorithm purchase model that Eventide employs. Zoom have a great little pedal which successfully operates in a similar way but it is slightly less impressive sonically however for the price it is simply fantastic value.

• I'd love to see one of the really enthusiastic developers buy out Samplr and update it regularly

• I'd agree with all the above, the Casio is all ready in production, with Arturia, how long before a V Collection Bundle? But more than anything I would love to see Apple 'open up' the iOS file system a little, so we didn't have to 'open in', copy, paste, files from here to there, having duplicates everywhere eating into storage space, this file access is possible with Mac OS, Windows, Linux and even Android, so why not iOS.

• an Impc pro with the issues fixed.

Samplr Update

and anything from the kymatica and the maker of Orphion

• I'm really hoping for a sampling app similar to Kontakt. Maybe it could have some sort of "community section" where you could easily download/subscribe to other peoples creations. Would be lovely.

• Samplr update..

• BIAS with Amp Match

• Only one thing: the Auria MIDI sequencer. Maybe a Fabfilter Twin2 IAP for flawless integration with said sequencer as a bonus.

Other than that I am trying to consolidate and get rid of apps.

• Same thing I am always asking for: crap filter/talent expander that can be used in all three slots. Is that too much to ask for?

• edited December 2014

An ARP 2600 would be lovely, or an OP1 type thing. Most hardware synth emulations will get my pennies. Software synths too - iMassive...

I'm looking forward to the new Mouse on Mars drum app (can't remember the name, it's not on their YouTube profile and there's no search option on here via mobile...), and wouldn't it be great if they sorted out iMaschine.

I'd like more 'ethnic' instrument and percussion included in the bigger apps, it'd be great to have a decent tabla and sitar app for example, that's AB compatible and not too expensive.

Mostly though, I want a new iPad in 2015 to play them on!

• I would love to see Steven Kay implement his Karma intelligent arpeggiator system on IOS.
    Also an FX app that could do convoluted delay FX like my old ART multi verb
    I hope Arturia keeps porting their synths to IOS(Moog Modular V?)
    Audiobus 3 and whatever magic that will bring.
    But most of all AN IOS UPDATE THAT WORKS!!!

• Almost forgot........Nanostudio 2!

• edited December 2014

Midi in Auria!-------Matrix 12v------Solina v--------FM Synth in Gadget--------Audio Editor from Kymatica (although i don't really need one,i can do everything in Auria as well)-------more apps from Holderness---------(Drum)sampler in Cubasis.

• edited December 2014

Stephen Kays Karma (Kay Algorithmic Realtime Music Architecture), would be everyone's dream come true but he is rather busy on several other projects at the moment. There is a whole thread on this over at Korg forums. I would definitely agree it would top my list though.

• A Soundfont editor.

• Beatmaker 3 and the Samplr buyout mentioned above. I nominate Sonosaurus.

• Omnisphere and Ableton for iOS.

I believe in Unicorns.

• iReason.
    Unicorns! What fantasy.....wait do I hear sleigh bells?

• edited December 2014

I'd love a port of the Jupiter-8 and the CS-80 from Arturia. And a Soundfont editor, to bring iPad-exclusive sounds to the iPhone.

And something else I'd personally love would be a mod wheel control on Thumbjam.

• We need proper VST integration now, come on Auria/Gadget/Cubasis/Apple....

Reduce the proliferation and give everyone proper DAW functionality on ipad....this is what i want for 2015....anything else is just filler...

1. A Garageband update that leans a little toward LogicPro X.
    2. Bias Amp Match
    3. Flux to be out so people don't ask anymore, although by then it'll be where's an update;)
    4. Ez drummer type app or song mode in Rock Drum Machine.
    5. App developers to have a Merry Christmas and a financially rewarding and sustainable development in this fledgling musical arena.
  • Something closer to Ableton Live... LaunchPad is in the neighborhood but no cigar. And a drum app that is closer to something like EZdrummer (though honestly I haven't used EZdrummer myself.) I want to approximate a good session drummer who can play without too much direction, and can vary things up on his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Ditto on a better business model to support good developers...AND musicians!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I mainly want to see all the DAW type of apps improve: Gadget, Cubasis, Sunvox, Auria, Nanostudio, etc.

• The long awaited Session Drummer for ios , and further improvements to Rock Drum Machine both top my list. A nice arp layering app might be nice similar to karma even but for ios.

• iOP1 - BeatMaker 3 - UVI Beathawk - And real, working, standarized sync between apps, and more sharing/connections between the apps, as per the iOS 8 feature.

• Oh yes, I do not own beatmaker 2 but decided to wait for 3 to come out prior to deciding . I wonder what that might be like.

• A lot of great suggestions above but I will add that I would like to see Apple take this music stuff more seriously. They could absolutely kill it if they put more development into this area, including in the promotional sense. We all here are aware of the astounding potential that's available even now in this area but it still seems mostly unknown to others. Even Apple doesn't seem to realize it. How about some commercials featuring some of the talented individuals on these forums showing just what these little slabs of technology can do with music?

It is but a dream…