Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Essential non music apps for iPad?

I think it's important to have battery doctor and cmemory pro to maintain and clean your iPad..any others? I've been picky about apps I have on my ipad

Comments

• DropBox. Daedalus. GoodReader. nPlayer.

Though the last three could be replaced by several others that do the same jobs. They're my favourites in their categories.

• edited November 2014

@bennorland said:

DropBox. Daedalus. GoodReader. nPlayer.

Though the last three could be replaced by several others that do the same jobs. They're my favourites in their categories.

I see your Daedalus and raise you a Noteshelf. (Actually, I love the stacks in Daedalus too....note apps are almost as multi-various and addicting as music apps.... :)

What do you like about nPlayer particularly?

• GoodReader is, hands down, the single best app for PDF files. When searching for a word it is as fast as Adobe Reader on a PC. Much much faster than Adobe Reader on iOS. And, with the last update, it even got text-to-speech.

I use Battery Doctor on the iPod because I have little free storage available, to clean up things such as Animoog's cache.

• cmemory and GoodReader, non-music-specific Apps that I use with Music. In GR I keep all my manuals, cache stores for downloaded synth patches, PDF scoresheets, MIDI spec sheets, etc.

• Haha, I can see myself complaining within the above thread and pointing towards this one http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2600/top-5-most-used-apps-on-your-ipadiphone/p1
    This happens when one spends way too long on the forum. Please forgive and continue as if nothing's happened ;)

• @JohnnyGoodyear nPlayer: I needed a file player that would recognise the NAS I am using (HooToo tripmate), dealt with a decent variety of audio and video formats, had a nice UI and responded to the remote on my headphones. NPlayer seemed to tick all the boxes.

I'll take a look at Noteshelf...

• @bennorland Some good boxes there, as regards all being ticked. Will look further.

Concerning Noteshelf, most certainly falls into the 'perhaps the best app is the one you use' category. Works for me, and every day, but in this area it might be that I am a man with many needs (I am), but few of which, by others, would be considered very deeply mined (by me).

• Battery doctor can clean caches, etc? I didn't see it in the description, but maybe there's a reason for that?

• Netflix. :)

• I tried searching for cmemory pro, but don't think I found a good link. Can you post one?

Battery Doctor is essential. I'm always amazed at how much clutter I can clean out with it.

• @syrupcore said:

Netflix. :)

I'm going to keep harping on about it-we need an app that allows you to record system audio. Too many times to I find myself watching something (in Netflix or another app) and wish I could record some audio without hooking up some kind of external recording option. I can see there being some copyright conflicts from Apple, but considering all of the apps they allow that allow you to grab audio from your iTunes library it seems like a moot point.

• PLEX.

PLEX PLEX PLEX PLEX PLEX.

Seriously, I spent well over a decade wishing for a media storage system like this. The $5 for the app is the best money I have ever spent. If all my music apps were crippled tomorrow but I still had Plex, I would not feel like I lost out.

• edited November 2014

Hmm, plex is pretty interesting. So, as long as you leave your computer on and connected to the internet, you can stream stuff from it directly? Even if I never used it out of the house, it would nice to have instant access to my entire music library for sampling. Is that possible or does all content need to go via Plex (which doesn't appear to be on the bus)?

Side question: Does it touch your files (renaming, tagging...)?

• I've thought for a while that it would be great to have stuff like YouTube and various video and audio streaming apps on The Bus, available to sample in the input slot.

• I know one but only for music. Amplifind. It goes in the input slot. And works.

• week calendar
    ThumbSlide
    Vizzywig
    Smart Office 2
    InstaWeb
    Holy Bible

• @syrupcore said:

Hmm, plex is pretty interesting. So, as long as you leave your computer on and connected to the internet, you can stream stuff from it directly? Even if I never used it out of the house, it would nice to have instant access to my entire music library for sampling. Is that possible or does all content need to go via Plex (which doesn't appear to be on the bus)?

Side question: Does it touch your files (renaming, tagging...)?

Yeah, you do need to leave your computer on, but I don't find this to be an issue-mine is in sleep mode most of the time, and Plex doesn't wake it.

Unfortunately tho, there isn't a way to access your content outside of Plex. It's one of the biggest reasons I want an app that allows you to access system audio (a la Soundflower, Audio Hijack Pro).

It doesn't rename or tag your files. Sometimes I have to rename TV files so Plex can organize them (S01E02) or whatever, but it actually does a great job of finding and sorting pretty much anything you throw at it, in whatever format, those sometimes large MKV files can be a problem (I've had this happen with maybe 3 files in two years tho). I stream a lot of content to my Apple TV from my iPad with Airplay, and there are channels available for the Roku and Chromecast as well.

• +1 for Plex. Great system/app. I think you can buy a premium account that allows you to store content on a tablet or phone for mobile use, but I've gotten infinite amount of use without ever spending anything. I mostly use it with Roku.

• It's buffering is excellent. I've accidentally shut down my computer and restarted while video was streaming, and the video never missed a beat.

• For word processing the latest update for Pages is excellent. Plus you have iCloud storage that constantly saves the document in the background.

• edited November 2014

Thanks for the Plex breakdowns fellas. I might give it a shot. I'm in the process of combining/cleaning up about 300G of different music libraries (mostly 192 mp3!) from over the years into a single mama jama so the timing is perfect.

Sidebar for the nerdy: the Beets command line (python) music utility is pretty amazing. http://beets.radbox.org/

• Plex is on a good discount at the moment

• If you run (I do, a lot) and especially, I think, if you find yourself on treadmills too much of the time, this is the killer app:

Trail Mix:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailmix-pro-run-with-music/id479650960?mt=8

As the crap saying goes; I've tried the rest, this is the best.

• I really dig Over and Camera+. I use Yelp on my phone pretty often to figure out where to go.

• @JohnnyGoodyear: interesting idea. What's your experience? Is it a smart DJ making good choice or do you have to skip a lot? Is there other feed except your iTunes playlists like web, dropbox, spotify?

• Have iPad 4, 64GB, AT&T, iOS 8.11

Can't add anything to what's been said about GoodReader, its an absolute must. Good place for the few iOS music app manuals that exist.

I use all the Apple productivity apps, Word, Numbers, and Keynote and have since the day there were released. They were brutal to start with, but are much better now. Keynote is probably my favorite on the iPad. As @mkell424 mentioned, the iCloud integration is great if you use the OS X version of these apps as I do.

The best reader for un-protected epub books is Stanza, but it was pulled from the App store in 2012, my version still works in 8.11 but I'm am beginning to move to "Marvin" as a replacement. I also use the Kindle and iBooks apps as readers. Started reading on PDAs in the mid 90s and haven't bought a legacy book since ~2005. I used to read a lot, but have medical issues that make it difficult nowadays, but when I can read, I read on my iPad. You can buy e-books from O'Reilly and they send them to your Kindle, others probably do as well.

Tweetbot is the best Twitter app I've found, the official "twitter" app is pure junk IMHO.

Many forums use Tapatalk, really glad this one doesn't. Those that do are often much better in Tapatalk, but not always.

Google hangouts is my phone app on my iPad, if you use google voice as your phone router/messages/text etc., its free, you can send and receive calls to the google hangouts app on your iPad. This is my primary phone.

I am a bit of a weather geek and use Seasonality Go and RadarScope as my primary weather apps. Weather Bug pro is third in the list and I cycle a dozen or so other weather apps through my iPad to see if they are any good. Still looking for a real professional weather app that gives 100% of the NOAA products on the iPad, yes they can be found in Safari, but the NOAA sites are cumbersome to say the best. I am Ham radio operator and qualified (taken many semi-formal classes from NOAA) storm chaser and live just north of the DFW airport so this is something I look at daily during tornado season.

I use several radio apps to listen to stations in other cities, particularly my home city on Miami. ooTunes is my primary radio app, but mainly because its the first one I got and it has all my stations programmed in. I am looking as both TuneIn radio and iRadio as replacements, much better UIs. I use 5-0 Radio HD as my internet police scanner, has feeds from police, emergency, and fire from all over the US along with most US AM and FM stations as well.

Agree on Yelp, its a great restaurant finder as well and fun to contribute reviews as well.

Gas Buddy, finds the cheapest gas close to you, another essential app.

Pocket is great, allows you to save web pages on any computer, and read them later. You can do this on most browsers nowadays, but the organization in pocket is better as is the formatting. Pocket is great for saving HTML app manuals and blogs with those gems of information that seem to make the apps much more useful. Pocket caches all these so you can read them offline when you have no internet access.

• Check out Notes Plus when is on sale.

• cmemory pro seems to be gone from the app store, so i think there will be no update ever :/ since ios8 i cant open cmemory anymore.

can somebody give me the link to an alternative? you talked about battery doctor, but which app do you mean exactly? there are a few battery doctors on the app store.

is it this one?
    „Battery Doctor - Master of Battery Maintenance“ von Beijing Kingsoft Internet Security software Co.Ltd
    https://appsto.re/de/VioOA.i