Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are the best "real" ipad music apps for a young (barely reading) kid of 6?

I try turning her on to say, thumbjam, but she just wants to bang around. I've tried and roll, etc. but i just can't find an app that introduces her to basic principles that keeps her sustained interest. She thinks things like figure, ikaos..., loopy, midiSequencer, are cool, but they're not completely accessible. we so sometimes enjoy those forever.

sometimes we will enjoy time together on these apps.

I ~don't~ want to give her a kid music app. she doesn't like them anyway.

Any suggestions? I'm also interested in raw instruments e.g. ifretless X's, etc.

P.S. She rocked her first piano recital playing twinkle twinkle in a mouse costume.

Comments

• She's six. Just let her bang around on whatever. When/if she is ready, she will do more. Playing with her and having fun is the key part.

• GuitarCapo or Guitarism would be good. GarageBand, Bebot, and Auxy seem pretty kid friendly too.

• edited October 2014

Yellofier. They can sample their own voice and drag the chop sliders around - then hit randomize in song mode. Instant fun.

• edited October 2014

Depending on what she's (or you) looking for...and considering her age...some different suggestions...

50in1 Piano HD

SoundyThingie

Toc And Roll

Chordion

grüvtron

• edited October 2014

My 4 year old, he just turned 5, loves garageband, iMPC Pro, loopy, thumbjam, launchpad. Besides the DAWs and a few other apps, most of the apps are pretty kid friendly. If they can use the ipad they can figure it out.

Edit: I just reread your post. If she is wanting to bang around, hook the ipad up to a cheap midi controller and let her go at it.

• My daughter is 12 - I also tried getting her into some music apps a couple years ago - but it was only last week she finally asked me to do music and she had a lot of fun using Thumbjam jamming over a beat and bassline I came up with. So yeah give her time and she will come around when/if she's ready.

• edited October 2014

soundprism pro, nothing can go wrong with that and you don't have to listen to the all the "wrong" notes, just banging where ever and wiggling it is a lot of fun, also for kids with grey hair. And you can connect it to what ever via midi so there is no shortage of interesting sounds.

• Wow, thanks everybody, all great suggestions!

By the way, she really does like bebot.

• My 6 year old loves. Tc11, bebot, Thumbjam

• edited October 2014

Dogs in Space!! Kidding...here are some random free or cheap; fun and/or colorful apps

Bucephalus

AirVox

Pocket Shaker

DevoBots

Gestrument

Voxkit!

Impaktor

Scape

Thicket

Vio

VOSIS

Singaling

sBASSdrum

Looper Space Garage

Echo String

Orbita

• I have two girls, 6 and 4 (almost 7 and 5). They like Bebot, and they took to Loopseque pretty quick. I had to help them with Loopseque a bit. Same with Node Beat, Quincy, and dot Melody. The "playing" of notes was pretty intuitive, but at times the interface (i.e. switching instruments/sounds) was confusing, and they needed some assistance.

• edited October 2014

OddTunes:Hang. Can't go wrong with this hang drum app. Sounds 'pretty', is large and intuitive, and there are no wrong notes! It's easy enough to create different scales/tunings if she gets tired with just one.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oddtunes-hang/id309730872?mt=8

If you want to get her into music though, I'd say just buy her a kalimba or sansula, or a Freenotes Wing. IMO she'd have way more fun with something real like that. Even a small, 15 string harp would be safe. No 'wrong' notes on any of those instruments too. Good for beginners or adults alike, and just as portable as an ipad (well, the sansula at least).

• +1 for loopseque. They also have a pretty capable kids app based on the same idea.

Nodebeat is a great idea too.

• I would think Musyc would be mesmerizing for younger people. Like mousetrap for making music!

• My little brother is 1 and a half and he loves to play I mini i sem someti,es dm1 bebot and thumbjam basically if he sees a keyboard he's gonna run over and start bashing it

• I'm clearly biased, but I'd be curious to hear what kids think about Fiddlewax Pro. :)

The interface is super flat/simple while still allowing for a wide range of "real" musical creativity. There's also subtle learning cues around keys, chords, scales, etc... Anyone with kids have thoughts on that? Is it too overwhelming, or do kids dig it?

You could start with the piano view (by pressing the keyboard enlarger button, then pressing the up arrow on the keyboard) and a standard drum kit (with larger pads) so it's a bit less intense.

• @adamkumpf Give me a code for it and I will let my 2 and 5 year old play with it and give you feed back. lol

• My 7 year old daughter loves Musyc.Its almost like a game that produces beautiful sounds.Fun for us big kids too!

• I'll do some research send all the codes to me haha

• my 5 year old like Stria and CSspectral - but we are weirdos who make noise-

• Samplr seems like it could be a good one, like modern version of the Casio SK-1. Next level fart noises :).

• My 6 year old daughter took pretty quick to using loopy to multitrack loop her voice tonight.

• Like @Jomazz I to would definitely recommend Musyc! The Sound and graphics of that app are perfect for kids!

• My 2y Leo loves Figure and SoundPrism Pro

• My 3 1/2 year old granddaughter likes playing with Korg's iKaossalater and Brian Eno's Bloom HD. Both apps are simple to use and have lots of movement and color on the screen in addition to music.

• Xsynthesizer !!

Very good simple interface and great fun to create melodies.

• Patatap http://www.patatap.com/ bottom right for change

• Bliss pad for sure.

• So me and my 5 year old played around with Fiddlewax Pro last night. After only a few mins he understood the loop section and was able to create simple loops and overdub them. He was enjoying the drum section and I was just messing around with some chords at the same time. Good Fun.