Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

From Doug, I need some feedback on a couple of ideas

So I was thinking about starting a weekly or fortnighty Video show, bit like a podcast but not live. It will be in video format, but the video loop will only show info, but the content will be like a radio show, not very long maybe 30 or 40 minutes. I want it to feature iOS musicians like us here, so basically its all original music that you guys have created, cant have covers though, its non commercial.
Anyway do you think its a good idea and would any of you like your music on there, I'd be like the DJ so your track and you also get a vocal plug, I'd also leave the video on YT for future reference. If you want to send me tracks for the show, you can do it either by email or dropbox or however you like and in whatever format you like. I like the idea because it may become a good place to showcase the great music thats made on iOS devices, and others may decide to do similar things which is all good for the community. And it would be made live at the same time each week or fortnight to keep some continuity going, for instance you could check YT at 5pm Wednesdays, you get the idea. I had this idea today because Bossjock just got an update and that app would be ideal for doing this.

And the other thing I was thinking about was maybe reviewing some Photo/Video apps, I have a stack of these. So your thoughts would be welcome, thanks everybody

Comments

• Excelent idea, Doug.

I promise visit it often if you review phot apps... even if I'm sketching my own blog reviewing pho apps for two a couple of months ago (lol).

Good luck. You're working really hard.

• edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Both ideas sound awesome! I love to hear new stuff by people on the forum, but I'm sure there are plenty of things I am missing and sometimes the world of Soundcloud is overwhelming to say the least. I also like the idea AfxTwn has about showing people's set up'a etc. You are awesome Doug!

• like the idea too!

• I'm sure this will be popular, but speaking for myself I'm more interested in the music app reviews.

• Go for it Doug...please! Along with the vocal plug, optionally -- something about the track: the creator could explain how and or why it was made. I'm interested in what apps and techniques are used to create awesome iOS music.

Agree, Bossjack really is a very cool app.

• This is a great idea!

• count me in! :)

• Why video and not a audio podcast ? With a audio podcast you can download and listen offline which is a great advantage . Video means you have to be streaming it all the time... Also if there is no video conent and just walloftext then isnt it pointless to have a video? Maybe a podcast with linear notes comments and info is better format for this ?
    But totally agree... iOS only member generated music will be great for exposure and its a great idea... You could have theme days for asp specific tunes !

• Could be great: Track of the Week, Gearheads, Watson Picks a Bone, App Feature Focus (wherein some lucky developer gets a digest of the forum's requests for their app's next release :), Confessions from Appaholia etc etc.....endless fun and possibilities...

• @thepinkelefant said:

... Also if there is no video content and just walloftext then isnt it pointless to have a video?...

I'm wondering about this as well. What will the video content look like?

• OK so I'll plan this out then, probably a few weeks to get it together, but once I have the base format done, a few jingle things and some sweeps and pads, it should be easy enough to assemble, and to answer a couple of points, I'm doing it in video because thats my thing and people watch the videos anyway, and the other point is there will still be all the music apps.

So if some of you want to submit a track, nows a good time, [email protected]
    And dont forget to include your details please, thanks

• I love the idea. And would love to have a track featured.

For some reason my gut thinks video would fly on the web more than audio... YouTube is huge, video does well in search results etc... and with a bit of thought i'm sure still images could really add to the audio (e.g. pics of hardware/software / audiobus chains etc...).

Contributors could be encouraged to send in various grabs from the different apps / set-ups they used for the track, which could help promote and the apps and educate viewers. Believe it or not i'd be quite interested to see the settings that were used in an app to make a particular sound or part in a track :). Or the midi for the bass or lead or whatever. I'd find that educational (e.g. 'oh, cool, they're playing on the up beats' or whatever).

• That s agood idea, but time is an issue for me because of the Video reviews, I'll see how things pan out though, but please send me a track

• People watch the videos because you're doing stuff in them. What you've described sounds like a slide show with an audio track.

• Yeah I really like this idea, I would tune in weekly for sure

• @telecharge said:

People watch the videos because you're doing stuff in them. What you've described sounds like a slide show with an audio track.

Yes thats exactly what it is for now

• In my experience, 30 to 40 minutes is way too long for that format. Perhaps, as suggested, you could make the audio available as a download.

• I would worry that a slideshow alone might be too 'static' to hold folks interest over the longer period, but I would also defer judgment until you've taken a run at it; maybe TSTR will re-invent the genre :)

• Sounds great, and would be happy to submit tracks, though they're probably too weird for your listeners delicate ears....

Agree with the suggestions previously - be nice to have some background to the tracks - how they were made, gear photos, and maybe even a bit of audio or video from the artist if they have it. I'd keep it under 30 mins though, maybe half that, but post the shows mode frequently if you have lots of content.

Might be worth looking into using a Soundcloud channel for this, maybe setup a dedicated group where members can submit their tracks to the group, and you can then cherry pick the ones you want to feature.

Also like the idea of a featured app or subject for each show, e.g. Sector.

Great stuff though Doug, I'll definitely be tuning in.

• nice idea, 22- 25 minutes would probably be ideal I think.

I totally understand the "audio with slide show" idea. Videos take so much more time and energy to produce, you could push out a lot more material with just audio. And contributors can just send in their work as is, along with a few pictures. do it!

• Is there a way you could discuss a video, and then cut over and play it, and then cut back to you and your awesome banter? I realize a live straight though vid by you is much simpler. I just worry about what people would be looking at while a track is playing? Maybe if people send in Lots of slideshow pictures it would fill that space. No idea, just trying to help with my paranoid questions...

• Or maybe you could dance around a bit, bit of jazz hands... that type of thing?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Or maybe you could dance around a bit, bit of jazz hands... that type of thing?

Now you're talking...

• Compromise: the song is playing, we see a few slide show pics - then suddenly there's Doug break-dancing!- then back to the slideshow. All tunes finish with shot of a cold Guinness!

• edited October 2014

Do it!

My vote is to see Doug talking about current iOS news, interviews, tips, sales etc. on top of guest tracks. Otherwise I'd prefer Soundcloud as opposed to a YT slide show

• OK heres the thing then, it will be shorter,maybe 15/20 minutes, it will be YT, I will make the slide show show as interesting as possible, but its really meant to be listened to, not watched as such, i dont care how weird or strange the material is, I dont care if it a 10 second loop. @Noise Horse I would like to play Rainbow Hug, one of my personal favourites. Shorter does take less time as soon as the templates are made. Honestly no time to constuct full blown video slide to accompany each one. And we can see this through together and see how pans out, at the end of the day its about letting other people hear what is possible and to entertain those of us who put lots if time and effort into our music. I honestly guarantee you more people will here it on the channel than on SC, plus it'll go on the site too. Try not to worry too much about the visual aspect, there are millions of just single static image videos on YT that are just about the audio. I would even put up those little app demo loops that get posted here, lots of ideas, lets see how the first one looks and sounds and we can as a comunity see what needs fixing, but it has to be easy on the video side for my sake. And just for fun does anyone want to make a soundtestroom jingle.

• @Doug I am totally blown away by your request to play that song, (I remember your comments about it very much). I'll be honored to give you some details about its creation and apps used. I'll try to find something for a slide show. I would like to run it through Final Touch now that it is available.

• Go for it Doug. We all have a million things to say (design a racehorse by committee; get a camel etc.), but we also all applaud you efforts. Get in amongst it and be sure that folks will have friendly suggestions for v2.0, but you've got to make v.1 first :) I would like to sit in a wingback chair, velvet smoking jacket etc and have a sixty second monologue in the middle of every show explaining how things were better in my day, but I understand if you get pressed for room...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Go for it Doug. We all have a million things to say (design a racehorse by committee; get a camel etc.), but we also all applaud you efforts. Get in amongst it and be sure that folks will have friendly suggestions for v2.0, but you've got to make v.1 first :) I would like to sit in a wingback chair, velvet smoking jacket etc and have a sixty second monologue in the middle of every show explaining how things were better in my day, but I understand if you get pressed for room...

Hey Mister G if you want to submit a vocal monologue as a track go right ahead, it may be cool to include the various thoughts vocalized, good idea.
    And to everyone else, please please send me either an mp3 to [email protected] or a dropbox lonk to the wave file, not a SC link or YT link, its much quicker for me with a file.
    Also do not send photos or video footage, I will tell people the info about the track, the video loop will just run, at least until I can get this faster for me, cheers guys, and Colin will also be contributing his DJ skills too and we will have a page on the site dedicated to this and the YT video for each episode will sit in the sidebar for that week or two until the next one hits, then it will be in Archive and its page.