Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

creative apps

Hi all,

what apps do you know for sound creation, tweaking, experimenting, like Impaktor or Triqtraq that are comptible with AIR and Audiobus?

I had my eyes on Samplr, only to find out that it is not compatible ....

BTW that's a great feature in ABus to see what is compatible....

Cheers

Comments

• I'll say it before the many people after me... Sector.

I also love ChordPolyPad and StepPolyArp for this.

• Samplr is AB-compatible. Not sure if you were referring to iOS8.

As far as tweaking stuff, atm I'd recommend Strom. For souund-creation, I've been big on Mitosynth and Laplace lately.

• Birdstepper, Yellofier, the Sugar Bytes apps, Holderness apps, AUFX:Dub, SquashIt, and Vandelay can all transform the sounds you give them.

• Never gets mentioned but Grain Science is great for experimenting, try the free Sylo. :)

• edited October 2014

All of the above, plus another couple that don't get a mention often: Voco and Sliver. iVCS3 is good for making a racket too.

• Thanx a lot, nice selections:-)....I checked them out on Tube and in app store.

Hopefully some will get a good price like sugar bytes 50% off...

Samplr doesnt work on iOS8 I think, when i ran the compatibility test, AB informed me it's no go. (such nice app, but not updated since 2013)

I really like impaktor: NO samples and endless modulation...
    thanx

• Then you will likely also find Impaktor->Sector a smashingly good way to spend an evening.

• @musikmachine said:

Never gets mentioned but Grain Science is great for experimenting, try the free Sylo. :)

Sylo is the gateway drug to Grain Science.

• @syrupcore, wow just got the sector...amazing...reading the manual and figuring it out.

thanks, nice one;-))

• I found I get the most out of sector if I make 32 step loops and leave room for single hits within the loop. Then, in sector you can manually trigger those steps in the step sequencer in the midst of the beautiful mayhem. Works great for single drum hits, layered drum hits (kick and snare together) and individual notes.

• edited October 2014

iMPC Pro for a unique and intuitive (imho) workflow....pure sampling production....no midi woes....

Gadget....mostly as above really...plus for the great choice of synths etc...

Both also sound great...

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@musikmachine said:

Never gets mentioned but Grain Science is great for experimenting, try the free Sylo. :)

Sylo is the gateway drug to Grain Science.

::evil grin:: ;)

• Any good demos for Sector other than those from the dev, TSTR, or discchord? Anyone willing to share their Sector creations?

• @syrupcore said:

I found I get the most out of sector if I make 32 step loops and leave room for single hits within the loop. Then, in sector you can manually trigger those steps in the step sequencer in the midst of the beautiful mayhem. Works great for single drum hits, layered drum hits (kick and snare together) and individual notes.

That's great advice, thanks! I like doing something similar with DrumJam, turning the bedlam level low and controlling the drums MIDI.

• @telecharge said:

Any good demos for Sector other than those from the dev, TSTR, or discchord? Anyone willing to share their Sector creations?

I made these when I first got Sector (and also note, before it got the micro-fade feature), so take them for what they are -- demos that I posted to just give an idea of what could happen when you put something non-drum loop into Sector.

• holy crap! it posted the whole thing into the thread. is that going to wreck this thread? so sorry, let me know if it causes problems. i'm bad at the internet.

• edited October 2014

@papertiger said:

holy crap! it posted the whole thing into the thread. is that going to wreck this thread? so sorry, let me know if it causes problems. i'm bad at the internet.

normal and i like it. same with youtube:

so no worries.

edit: irony: for some reason, my youtube link is not appearing.

• @johnfromberkeley Can you post the text of the link?

• edited October 2014

I love that drone one @papertiger. Hate to say it but I kind of miss the little glitchy pops a bit!

@johnfromberkley Yeah, youtube embeds are being screwy lately. You can include a text link by using square brackets [] around the words that display and parenthesis around the link itself.

• @syrupcore said:

I love that drone one @papertiger. Hate to say it but I kind of miss the little glitchy pops a bit!

I like the drone also....and, weirdly, I don't mind the clicks but only in other people's stuff. In my own loops the clicks drive me loco, because I know they're unwanted but, for example here, I presume/forgive them as deliberate....can quite easily imagine Thom Yorke weeping as regards liberty and his imaginary mother over this....

• Samvada is good in audiobus fx slot for sound creation and is proper free
    Borderlands even without Audiobus is incredible app for experimenting with sounds

• For honestlike @johnnyGoodyear, I thought the exact same thing ("so long as it's in your back yard not mine) and think it's interesting. I really enjoyed them in papertiger's piece (I was thinking múm, but hey) but I was completely disheartened when couldn't get them out of my own music in v1.0 of Sector. Really don't make a licka sense.

• edited October 2014

@redskylullaby, thanks for that. I haven't opened Samvada in a long while and it's a really lovely sounding app. Tuned properly and used subtly it can very transparently reenforce your chords (hat tip @paulb). When pushed, it can become it's hallucinatory own beast.

Would like to hear someone like @soundtestroom tune it up to match up with Uilleann Pipes. Speaking of, Samvada+Crystaline could likely produce 'why I bought an iPad' moments with ease.

• Wooji Juice makes the most inspiring apps IMHO. I'm a hardware guy, but these days I look at hardware synths I'd like to buy and skip a ton of them because Mitosynth and Grain Science take me so much further. Mitosynth in particular has become my #1 synth for sound design, regardless of platform. I really think that Wooji Juice gets it as far as interface and creative application above anyone else, setting the bar for other companies.

• Re: Samvada...I really like this app, but I would also like to mention that I emailed the dev a few weeks ago to ask if it might ever receive midi input and have yet to receive a reply. I guess I can see some complications with tuning to different scales so it just may not be a possibility, but the lack of response is offputting. If it was an IAP I would pay for it, but it loses a lot of potential IMHO because it cannot be sequenced and the interface isn't the easiest to use.

• Here's a weird track you'll switch off after a couple of seconds, where I took an existing track and mangled it in Sector. Horrible, but I like the twichy/twitching bit jumpy/twitch and scratch that Sector does to my things:

• edited October 2014

Like it.

• Thank you all for great input.

So I added triqtraq, Sector, Impaktor and Wow, (also have Oscilab and few synths from before ...

I like them a lot...Should keep me busy for a while.

Have a good weekend:-)

• @papertiger, nice demos. Did you use Auria to piece then together?

@monzo that's really good mate. Don't listen to a lot of idm or glitch but definitely scratches mine. :)