Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audulus Update V2.9

edited October 2014 in General App Discussion

Lots of UI and memory improvements plus AB updated.

Comments

• Thanks.

I have been "stalking" Audulus for some time on my Wish List. It seems to be very well-designed modular synth, and I've seen some interesting things people have done with it (drum machines, sequencers, etc.).

However, I think of other "cool" modular programs I have like SunVox and Jasuto, and while they are fun to play around with, I feel like I only understand about 10% of what's going on with them, and have never gotten close to the point where I would use it in an actual musical recording (in lieu of some other synth, preset, or sample in another app).

Is Audulus at all "beginner friendly", or would this basically be another "sunk cost" unless I really dedicated myself to figuring out how to use it? Modulars scare the hell out of me because I spend half the time trying to figure out how to set up basic things like on-screen keyboard control or MIDI In/Out that other apps just provide for you in a menu. The point is supposed to be unique sound design...

• edited October 2014

Audulus is definitely one of the more complex modular synth apps (that one and Jasuto). Luckily the on-screen keyboard option for Audulus is easy (way easier than Jasuto), but past that...it's pretty complex. I'm very much on the early end of the learning curve with Audulus, but I aim to conquer my ignorance!

@StormJH1 if you haven't already, check out Tim Webb's excellent video on the Modular app. It's a very good way to learn the basics of modular synthesis: http://discchord.com/blog/2013/9/6/tutorial-intro-to-modular.html

• @StormJH1 said:

Thanks.

I have been "stalking" Audulus for some time on my Wish List. It seems to be very well-designed modular synth, and I've seen some interesting things people have done with it (drum machines, sequencers, etc.).

However, I think of other "cool" modular programs I have like SunVox and Jasuto, and while they are fun to play around with, I feel like I only understand about 10% of what's going on with them, and have never gotten close to the point where I would use it in an actual musical recording (in lieu of some other synth, preset, or sample in another app).

Is Audulus at all "beginner friendly", or would this basically be another "sunk cost" unless I really dedicated myself to figuring out how to use it? Modulars scare the hell out of me because I spend half the time trying to figure out how to set up basic things like on-screen keyboard control or MIDI In/Out that other apps just provide for you in a menu. The point is supposed to be unique sound design...

Ironically, or not, I actually think that Sunvox is "easier" than Audulus in the sense of it's faster to get up and running when you're starting from scratch. Sunvox reminds me a lot of the Nord Modular series where you were given a set of modules and it was up to you to connect them up however you wanted to. Granted, it's been a while since I've dug into Audulus, but when I tried the app, it felt more difficult to get something going.

That being said, I think if you're serious about starting to learn Audulus you would have to start with watching every single tutorial you could find, and then start experimenting. But the dilemma with modular is always whether you want to make things that make sound and then use them to make sound, or make sounds with things that are already made.

The good thing about Audulus is that it is well-supported, and I believe there is also an OSX/"desktop" version.

• There is a Windows version coming too.

• do you still have to convert values yourself?

• yes. One of the reasons why I don't recommend Audulus. If someone is not familiar with modular systems. On the other hand there are some nice patches available in the forum, and it is also possible to stay simple with own patches. From that point of view I could recommend Audulus to everyone.

• edited October 2014

thx,
    its not that i don't know how stuff works - i just don't want to be bothered with if i connect this to that this wants +-5 or that wants 1-20000, its pretty obvious what I want to do if i connect this to that, thats the only reason why I don't buy it. I don't want to play logic puzzles.

• The math expressions do my head in and are totally counter-intuitive to me. Instead of getting bogged down in of all that, I have a Small library of simple self made sub-patches and more complex ones gleaned from the forum. It is then not a lot different from any other modular system, stringing components together and tweaking to make working synths.

It also comes with a demo how-to vid and a finished version of that synth. You can easily tweak this to make something of your own and get a grasp of the oscillator, ADSR and metering node functions.

I personally find it way simpler than iMS-20 and Modular and more on a par with Jasuto.