Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Performance comparison Air 2

Running a Gadget Wolfsburg pattern and duplicating it until crackling appears :

Air 2: 39 Tracks

iPad 4 : 10 Tracks

note: that´s just for plain duplicating. It starts to crackle before reaching 39 tracks when scrolling the mixer view or entering the gadget edit window and modifying the pattern.

Auria demo song The Approach:

Air 2: CPU 15-17% DISK 0-3%

iPad4: CPU 24-26% DISK 4-7%

My impression is that there is quite a lot of resources in the air2 that app developers could use in the future.

Comments

• @dreamrobe said:

Running a Gadget Wolfsburg pattern and duplicating it until crackling appears :

Air 2: 39 Tracks
    iPad 4 : 10 Tracks

note: that´s just for plain duplicating. It starts to crackle before reaching 39 tracks when scrolling the mixer view or entering the gadget edit window and modifying the pattern.

Auria demo song The Approach:

Air 2: CPU 15-17% DISK 0-3%
    iPad4: CPU 24-26% DISK 4-7%

My impression is that there is quite a lot of resources in the air2 that app developers could use in the future.

What does the test show in terms of ram with auria...or does disk mean ram?

• No. "MEM" = RAM. The CPU / MEM display would have been more informative than the CPU / DISK one.

• Thanks for the information. But I'm more interesting of the comparison or iPad Air 1st and 2nd gen.

• I like the iPad 4 vs Air 2 comparison, since I have an iPad 4 right now.

• I tryed it with my Air 1
    I was able to use about 22 Gadgets this way. The Auria demo is between 19-23% most time.
    So not much different in Auria but a lot in Gadget.
    I would like to know how much the Air 2 uses for the "Laid Back" demo song in Nanostudio at highest settings with max audio cpu use enabled. My iPhone 5 is about 20%, my iPad Air about 10%...... on my Macbook it's 5% indeed.

• Yeah, but real world examples are way more meaningful.

• Yep, that says not much. Even my iPhone is faster then old laptops. And newer Laptops are still far more powerful. But in a few years it could be interesting if the mobile chips are on par with the big brothers. But then we need a full OS too.

• IPad Air, 128 GB, 4G, 128 GB, IOS 7.1.2

Gadget: Wolfsburg Tracks

This test seems to depends on patch and polyphony. I used program #01: Electro Stab - with more tracks the 'echo effects' starts to produce short gaps in the audio

• 28 tracks with 8 1/8 single notes
    • 22 tracks with 8 1/8 intervals
    • 17 tracks with 8 1/8 accords

Auria: The Approach

• CPU: 19-20% Disc: 2-3% Mem: 90MB Space: 51%
  • Which latency settings?

• edited October 2014

Thanks for the sharing this @dreamrobe.

There used to be a common machine test for people making their own pro tools rigs. Basically:

1. Open the resources window.
    2. Add an audiotrack
    3. fill all of the effects slots with the stock reverb
    4. Record arm
    5. Keep adding record armed tracks+reverbs until it dies
    6. Report results

Just tried it on my iPad 3, iOS 7.1.latest. Here's what I did in case anyone else wants to share their results:

Setup

1. Put the iPad in airplane mode
    2. Do hard reboot (power and home key for 10 secs)
    3. I did a RAM refresh with CMemory which only cleared 148mb—of questionable value after a hard reboot
    4. Set Auria to 256ms record latency (menu->settings->record)
    5. Make sure that 'Disable Effects While Recording" is set to No

I used a mono convolution reverb.

Result: 7 mono convolution reverbs before my CPU meter started spiking over 100%. This was two tracks; 4 on the first and 3 on the second.

• I'm most interested in seeing people try and pwn the Air 2 with Fabfilter plugs in Auria. Those things are awesome but blow my iPad 4 out of the water if I get to ambitious.

I imagine we'll see developers starting to take advantage of the additional core in the future. Fun times ahead!

• edited October 2014

Standard Audio Latency setting.

Wow that are some heavy track count differences @_ki .

I used also Electro Stab preset, but turned down the cutoff a bit and set Modulation Slot A (lfo 1 > cutoff) to about +2.

In the mixer i pulled the levels down to avoid overs.
    I´m really missing Gadget unrendered project sharing.

Tomorrow i might post some more test.

Here is the pattern:

• Is it faster in portrait?

• @dreamrobe of course everyone wants a test between the New Two and whatever they have/use (me too!), but thanks for doing some spade work on this. Much appreciated. The more input folks can give us the better sense we'll each get, plus maybe be able to triangulate a little (however generally).

• O.k. with standard latency i was able to use over 30. Seems really like a 30% (+/-) increase between the iPad Air and Air 2. Would like to know if Nave finally is stable when editing patches. It always crash because of low ram in my case.

• @dreamrobe: With your sequence of 5 short notes (and the modifications to the Electro Stab preset) i can play 32 track copies on the IPad Air

@kgmessier: Portrait or landscape orientation makes no difference

• @_ki: That's exact what i get too with my Air. So 32 for Air 1 and 39 for Air 2.

• @kgmessier said:

Is it faster in portrait?

Yes, less air resistance

• @supadom said:

@kgmessier said:

Yes, less air resistance

But can't you cover more ground with landscape?

• edited October 2014

What about bendgate performance comparisons? All of you who are dying to try the Air 2 should get a kick out of this one. If I was the Apple store employee who got this guy I'd pull the iPad Soup Nazi routine on him "No (Air) 2 for you!"

http://mashable.com/2014/10/24/ipad-air-2-bendgate/

• edited October 2014

@Ringleader said:

What about bendgate comparisons? All of you who are dying to try the Air 2 should get a kick out of this one. If I was the Apple store employee who got this guy I'd pull the iPad Soup Nazi routine on him "No (Air) 2 for you!"

http://mashable.com/2014/10/24/ipad-air-2-bendgate/

Wow lol...And I thought the Air 1 was shoddy. Apple kinda needs to learn from Samsung & Co on how to design thin phones and tablets. It's not like they can make it thinner next year, using the same shoddy design/material (I hope).

• edited October 2014

Speaking of design/construction... Does the Air 2 have that hollow/drum tap on the screen feel that the Air 1 has? Or did the fusing of display layers remove that?

• Good question...I want to know this also....

• @Ringleader and @DaveMagoo I had been worried about this as well, and read on another forum from some that had these concerns as well. Supposedly this has been improved! :-)

• I've seen a slightly bended Air 2 in a Media store today.Assholes.

• That might be the dumbest thing I've seen today. Will aluminum and thin glass bend and/or break? Are you retarded?

• @kgmessier said:

@supadom said:

@kgmessier said:

Yes, less air resistance

But can't you cover more ground with landscape?

Not if there's a Ram in the field

• @boone51 said:

That might be the dumbest thing I've seen today.

^ this.

C'mon dudes. If you try, these things will bend or break. Because, physics.

• @Ringleader said:

Speaking of design/construction... Does the Air 2 have that hollow/drum tap on the screen feel that the Air 1 has? Or did the fusing of display layers remove that?

I'm coming from an iPad 3 (the tank model) and so far the Air 2 is fine for me as far as tapping goes, in that I haven't thought about it at all.

In contrast when I tried the original Air in the Apple store it was the first thing that I noticed, and it did bother me.