Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It seems a new beat making app is coming our way: Auxy (EDIT: available now on the app store)

Comments

• "Will be released later this summer"?

• @Zymos said:

"Will be released later this summer"?

Mmmmm, well, when read with a postive mindset, this means we'll be still wearing our shorts in november/december ;)

• Sweden IS in the northern hemisphere- if the devs were Australian , release might be relatively soon....

• @zymos think they were targeting this past summer. This has been floating about for a bit.

• edited October 2014

Auxy is available for free:

https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/auxy/id909573739?mt=8

First video:

http://auxy.co/

Sadly, it is a very minimal app, with only a very basic feature set. No export options as far as I can tell.

• You can record your beat and export it via open in, audio copy, or to iTunes

You can't save different projects though but for free it's a cool toy really simple to use to make simple 4/4 beats up to 4 bars

I think they achieved what they set out to do bring a simple music maker to the masses.

• I tried it, it's a nice little app. I may use it with AudioCopy to make some beats and stuff.

• can you paste samples into the app or only out of the app?

• As simple as it is, it has 2 features that I wish were in Gadget. I had great fun in my first 10 minutes of playing with it, I'm just not sure how long it's going to last with this limited set of sounds. I'm guessing they'll be adding IAP soundpacks.

• And those 2 features are?

• changing the key of the whole thing and mix and matching the clips as opposed to just switching between scenes

• edited October 2014

iKaossilator also has those 2 features, those would be great in Gadget

• Ah... good point :)...

Side point... I love the way you can dynamically change the time signature iKaossilator too. And glitch / loop it (which took me ages to discover).

• do you mean that thing that happens when your holding the tempo with one finger and touching or sliding on the pad with another? - yes, that's a cool kind of hidden feature

• edited October 2014

First 2 minutes of use... Really like the user experience...

Reminds me of Beatwave or BleepBox... but with a nicer interface.

If this got Midi out then i'd be away. Would basically be like a 4 channel Ableton clip view as far as I can see. (Or even Midi export would be nice).

As it is, with the limited sounds, i'm, not sure what i'd do with it. Maybe use as a sketch pad and then try to recreate the Midi elsewhere once happy with a groove? (In that case it's a shame it doesn't also work on the iPhone).

But it's really quick and easy to use to put together the sketch of a track and play around with different parts until you feel you're onto something.

Can't complain for free :).

• I would love it even more if it had midi. If you could have each column send midi notes on separate channels to control other apps. That would be awesome. Almost like launchpad with midi, controlling other apps or be able to import soundfonts or your own samples.

• Yep. There's nothing like this on the market with Midi out is there?

Xynthersizer has midi out but it's just one track, and anyway you can swap clips.

Beatwave has multiple tracks but isn't Midi out - and anyway you need to create predetermined patterns, rather than just playing around on the fly with clips.

The more I think about it the more I'd love this with Midi Out (as a paid IAP perhaps) - 4 different midi channels as you suggest.

• edited October 2014

Be nice to have the option to be able to see what notes you're playing too . And maybe more scale types.

But I love the feel of it.

• Anyone want to contact the developer?

• The closest to full midi solution is MIDI Pattern Sequencer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-pattern-sequencer/id579508906?mt=8 , however the editing is not as smooth as Auxy, Gadget or Caustics.
    It is not a piano roll but you punch notes via a keyboard.
    If the developer will add a piano roll component then this app should be great.

Why do developers give a separate sequencer with only a single track and 2 bars solutions? Why not 4 or 8 bars and complete 16 tracks (1 per each midi channel)?

• Hi guys,

I'm Henrik and I'm building Auxy together with my colleague Fredrik. Love to get your feedback and happy to answer any questions!

We're working on some new features that I think you will like so perhaps you can help us beta test when they are ready?

• edited October 2014

Hello, Henrik. Congrats on the app, and thanks for joining us. You'll find plenty of folks here happy to help and give you feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fw2xjfzYc8U

• edited October 2014

Hi Hendrik.

Congrats also on the app. Great you're on this forum.

It's beautifully designed. Immediately easy to use. Refreshingly simple. The piano roll is great. The way you can trigger clips live so easily is just pure joy.

One suggestion that would kindof turn the app from being a fun music toy into being probably the closest thing on iOS to Ableton live would be midi out (one Channel for each of the 4 tracks). It would be great if that was for notes and also for the volume, cutoff and decay knobs. That would be huge!

(obviously a few more tracks would be lovely one day, but less of a priority IMO).

I'd love to beta test by the way.

• @lenberg said:

Hi guys,

I'm Henrik and I'm building Auxy together with my colleague Fredrik. Love to get your feedback and happy to answer any questions!

We're working on some new features that I think you will like so perhaps you can help us beta test when they are ready?

Hi, I grabbed this -- and I'm not into electronic music that much -- but this app is fun. You made it very easy; within 5-10 minutes of opening the app, I had created a nice little ditty and copied to Audioshare.

So the questions in this thread are what came to my mind as I checked it out. Will you add new sounds or sound packs? Will we be able to import our own samples? Will MIDI be added?

It has some cool features and yeah -- changeling the key on the fly is -- well pretty fly. (Groan...).

• Sound packs would be good.

• edited October 2014

BTW I checked out the apps file structure and there seems no obvious way to add your own samples in via the back door.

Hendrick, I'd be curious to know if the current synth sounds are sample based or if there is any kind of real synth at play in the app? I assume it's the former.

Edit: cool promo video by the way