Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best apps to paste midi notes INTO

I have been playing with Caustic again and appreciating all it can do (as I always do when I return to it), but then was hit (as I always am when I return to it) with the simple fact that, especially synth-wise, I just don't think much of the sounds. However I do like the writing aspects of it very much, particularly when it comes to putting together melodies.

It does appear easy to copy section of midi notes and I would like to take those else where and use them with different sounds. I do like the workflow/speed of just being able to paste these notes directly into another app, but which to use?

Any suggestions/favorites/choices that you like or know this can be easily done with?

Comments

• edited October 2014

I'm all over this one...

As you said, Caustic is outstanding and importing MIDI notes/files and even splitting them into different tracks you can assign a machine to. But the synths in the app, while they mostly do the job (and have a ton of internal and community content), are a bit limited when compared to the richness and complexity of apps. And, sadly, Caustic still lacks MIDI Out, so you can't use Caustic to sequence a different app.

While I suspect Cubasis is great because people rave about it's MIDI, I'm LOVING MultiTrackStudio:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multitrackstudio-for-ipad/id776998585?mt=8

Not cheap, but an amazing full featured DAW, and one that allows to do just about anything with MIDI data. You can open a raw MIDI file and it will split it into the different tracks. You can then edit it or apply soundfonts, internal instruments, or other Apps with IAA. It even has a new Matrix sampler that allows you to paste a clip of MIDI (or audio) data into it, and it renders the sound from that source track as a triggerable sample (up to 6 seconds). Really cool app.

For a smaller editor option, check out MIDI Editor, but note my other thread on it, and the current 32 bar limitation:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-editor-music-sketchpad/id718065823?mt=8

The reviews for it suck, but I don't think some of the people who bought it understand what it is supposed to do. If you have shorter clips of MIDI data, it's a nice universal editor (even has a piano roll with note preview) that can store MIDI clips, and drives apps with Virtual MIDI, though only one at a time.