Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• As the demos which were previously posted show, the sound quality of the included instruments here is excellent, even the synth-based horns included sound great!

• edited October 2014

Where's @PaulB ? Impressions!

Edit: Oh wait, it's only 10 bucks. I'll take one please. :)

• The sounds are GREAT!But the output (volume) is pretty low.Or is it just me?I don't think so...

• @ChrisG said:

Where's @PaulB ? Impressions!

Edit: Oh wait, it's only 10 bucks. I'll take one please. :)

'Honk!... Parp!...'

Sorry, not good at impressions...

• Well I was this > - < close to buying, before the Honk and the Parp. :(

Naw getting this later tonight for sure. :)

• Thanks for the heads-up! Downloading now....

• edited October 2014

I lied. Just bought it and it sounds lovely! Very expressive sounds here.

@Schimanski The interface is velocity sensitive, it's using the accelerometer I think. There's a pretty wide velocity range set as default, but you can change all that in settings. I haven't explored that much yet myself.

Anyway, beautiful sample set, well worth the 10 bucks. :)

• edited October 2014

I can't comment on that yet, only got earbuds, and...I don't know what a euprhum...eurprhym is. Is there any way to get lover on the fretboard? Are there more settings then the transpose slider somewhere? I'm trying to fart out some really low French horns, maybe I'm missing something, getting tired over here. :)

• Here you go @ChrisG. Small tuba, large trumpet?

• edited October 2014

Ha!

Thanks @PaulB

@Flo26 I'm hearing some kind of "rustling" noise on a few of the notes/velocities on the euphonium. But I don't know how exactly a euphonium sounds. A French horn or a trumpet yes, but not the euphonium. But there definitely is "dirty" stuff on a few notes.

• I learned something new today: I always thought Euphoniums were the Tubas that you had to wear. Like the Tubas you see in marching bands.

• @thinds said:

Here you go @ChrisG. Small tuba, large trumpet?

That's what it looks like in the app, so yea a tuba with a trumpet I guess :)

• There is a rasp in places, but real brass intruments do do that. It adds to the realism.

• I won't be getting iFretless Brass, but I LOVE iFretless Bass. I'm surprised I haven't bought iFretless guitar, but these apps are sample-based and, therefore, quite large. iFretless Bass was the one I needed, and I can't store all of them!

• @Flo26 Brass instruments tend to have a breath sound when you hear them up close. Low pitched instruments are the most breathy ones, hence the excessive breath sound on the euphonium. When you hear brass recorded in really large spaces, the high frequencies loose energy when traveling over long distances. That's why you wouldn't notice the breath sounds much when listening to an orchestral recording.

The tone control in iFretless brass is a high-shelf filter tuned to cut out those breath sounds. So when you want to get some distance between you and the horns, turn the tone down, reverb up. We left the breath on the samples so that when you want more detail, you can turn reverb down, tone up to the max. Sometimes, however, people may want to hear some breath in a big room; that's why these controls are two separate sliders.

• @Blue_Mangoo Wonderful sounds,playability and it's great you preserved the breath "noise".
    That's why it sounds natural.Great!But there is definitively a big difference in the overall
    volume,compared to ifretl.sax or ifretl.bass.I'm still on iOS 7.1.2. Could this be the reason why?
    I use the same settings in all 3 apps and the volume difference is BIG.
    Besides that it's a SuperApp!

• @Schimanski We wanted to make this app quieter because we tend to play bigger chords with Brass. But I think you're right... it's too quiet. We'll increase the volume.

• Great.Thank you.I understand your reason but maybe just a bit more....

• edited October 2014

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Schimanski We wanted to make this app quieter because we tend to play bigger chords with Brass. But I think you're right... it's too quiet. We'll increase the volume.

Great sounds. While you're tweaking stuff, could you take a look at the velocity and volume range settings stored with each instrument? They are not staying where I set them. Also, the no. of frets setting...

• Impressive app, even more impressive responsiveness. Some folks are far too smart to improve :) Thanks @Blue_Mangoo.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Schimanski We wanted to make this app quieter because we tend to play bigger chords with Brass. But I think you're right... it's too quiet. We'll increase the volume.

FYI, I really like the velocity and volume rangers in iFretless apps. they are great for when I want to lock in a certain volume range!

• @PaulB The next update will allow you to name and create your own presets that include combinations of instruments and hopefully fix all of that.

But until that update goes on the app store, the current version is saving 3 different sets of settings for each instrument on the main selector:
    1. Settings with headphones in
    2. Settings with internal speaker
    3. Settings with MIDI

If it doesn't seem to be remembering settings, it might be because you had the headphones out when you set them, and then put headphones back in when you tested, which caused it to load a different set of settings... or it could be that we made an error. Either way, we hope it will be fixed in the next update. After the update we'll be leaving the 3 sets of settings system and just let you save your own settings in presets the way most synth apps do.

• I was setting them, changing instrument, then changing back to the previous instrument. No swapping of headphone/speaker. However, I'm happy with what you're proposing.

• For the record, I ran some iFretless Brass instruments up against SampleTank and a few Soundfonts I have in the Bismark bs-16i, and iFretless wins handily in most cases. The iFretless interface allows for much more dynamic control, and the sounds are really good.

SampleTank has a lot of nice sounds, but their brass section has always been suspect, although they do have a few ensemble sounds I would use (particularly their dual French Horns). Ditto for the bs-16i, although I didn't wade through my entire gazillion GB soundfont collection.

After playing trombone, tuba or muted trumpet on iFretless, the SampleTank/soundfont equivalents mostly show up just how flat and/or synthy other iOS brass samples sound.

If your on the fence, jump. Highly recommended. Thank you, Blue Mangoo!

• @CalCutta said:

I learned something new today: I always thought Euphoniums were the Tubas that you had to wear. Like the Tubas you see in marching bands.

Those are called sousaphones.

• ahhhh yes, thanks!