Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using Electrify NXT?

I don't think this app got the love it deserves, Sure, it has a bit of a learning curve and still has a bug or two, but it gives the best Ableton Live like experience on ios imho. Lots of options for sound design and mangling. The time stretching is also very good. I'm thinking about doing a comprehensive tutorial on this one. Let me one if you would like to see a video like this.

Comments

• edited October 2014

I would like to see your video as well as an update for NXT. I bought it day 1 after having liked Electrify. I agree with your opinion on it being essentially Abelton Live on ios. I stand to learn alot from your demo.

If @Electrify is listening; as an early customer, Quneo, Qunexus, midi learn please.

• I ended up deleting it after high hopes - too many crashes and issues.

• Ditto. So much potential, but things like no undo and weird crashes made it a little too unstable for me.

• Yah, Hopefully those got worked out, undo is huge.

• I'd like to see a vid on this.

• A video would be great! I haven't deleted it, but I don't use it as much as I would like.

On facebook, the Dev recently said that it was getting a large update. I am very happy about that because I thought it was going the abandonware route.

Hopefully the dev can do a bit of video or manual work this time because the potential for the app is large!

• yes a tutorial would be wonderful and thanks

• I deleted it and the support completely sucks! It had potential, but it is as close to abandonware as it gets without being removed from the appstore. Check out the graveyard that is the Electrify-nxt forum.

• I don't have it but I'd love to see a video.

• Audiojunkie wrote:
    I deleted it and the support completely sucks! It had potential, but it is as close to abandonware as it gets without being removed from the appstore. Check out the graveyard that is the Electrify-nxt forum.

completely agree. it doesnt get love because it doesnt deserve the love. bunch of false promises made at time of release and it is nowhere near ableton. yeah on ios but that for anybody considering it as an ios ableton app, forget it. when it is fixed, ill be the first to eat my words and give glowing review but until then, want to warn others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Its a waste crashes all the time so I delete it also

• I hope what skoptic saw pans out- I'm not mad at it or anything, I just won't be using it till it works

• Just thought about deleting it before I read this thread. Potential is there - but doesn't work well. I'll keep it around for the update and see...

• Does anybody have the older version, is it any good?, could it work like ableton and be triggered with an launchpad mini?

• I recall a thread on the iPad Musicians Facebook page in which the dev advised that he just didn't have the time to commit to the app right now.

I can't recommend anyone buy this app right now. It just isn't working well, and it was over-promised and under-delivered by the dev. No tutorials as promised, and no manual (as I recall, I deleted it along time ago).

If you do have the app, here's to hoping it may eventually reach its potential.

• Yeah I thought this app was going to be awesome... But deleted it a few days after buying it because of frustration from bugs and crashes.

• I like this app and i did a few videos short videos, the app is good but not for buy now because no updates. And now with ios 8 well i think more and more crashes

• Reading this through I had to try again...and I had a blast, and one crash which lost me a minute or so but no lost content. No AB but no heartbreak and some good sounding shizz

• what was it that kept you from using it regularly just out of curiosity

• Wow, I didn't expect to get so many reactions on my post in such a short time. Although I agree that the app is buggy and it's a shame that there is no manual or tutorials by the developer, I still believe the app has great potential.

Last night I had some fun creating loops in Electrify NXT and copy pasting them in my DAW
    of choice, Multitrackstudio. The drum sampler in NXT lets you program beats with 8 different (user) samples and create an effects chain with up to three effects per sample! This gives a lot of freedom when sculpting sounds, even if you don't use Electrify NXT to sequence your song. You can copy your clips to the general pasteboard form the main clip launching screen and paste them in your app of choice. Another thing I enjoy doing is to do an extreme timestrech to my clips by radically changing the BPM in Electrify NXT. When you copy paste the clips after this procedure, you can paste the stretched result (whoch has very good quality imho) in another app.

When the developer sorts out the bugs and would come up with a smoother way of adding and moving slice markers to a loop (please look at Samplr! Hint, hint), add an undo funtion to all the screens, this app would be pretty damn good. Well, thank you for all your views, complaints and suggestions.

• I've used this App a lot and I really like aspects of it but I have to say that I've been really disapointed by the lack of support and evolution. I never understood why the Dev pointed everyone in the direction of the Forum for the App then quickly stopped supporting it. (I suspect that stuff happened!)

For me it worked really well with LoopyHD and Audiobus effects. Personally however I'd like to see the effects changed to give more control and let you key in specific values as well as see a general improvement in quality.

It's not far from a finished App but it would be nice to see some of the rough edges taken off.

• @Skipp, can you comfirm that the set function that lets you choose between scales, chords and arpeggio's in the piano roll of yhe synth doesn't work. I've tried them all and in every case I just get single notes.

• edited October 2014

@kobamato
    I think I had a couple crashes, and my interests had shifted to timeline/multi tracking work styles...I tend to swing between clip launch and the traditional approach, and had left Electrify NXT behind to work more in MTS and BM2. Coming back to it last night, I didn't find it crashy, but wished I could export what I make in there as separate stems....

• edited October 2014

Is the scale/chord/arpeggio set function in the synth sequencing window working for any of you guys? Whatever I select, I only get single notes sounding in the grid whereas I do hear the chord/scale/arpeggio when previewing on the vertical keyboard.

• Maarten,

I'd be keen on a video for this too, if you get a chance to do it.

Richie

• edited October 2014

A nice 15 minute walk-through recently published on YouTube.

There's no voiceover and text/captions are in Japanese, though.

• @janogarcia: I hadn't seen that video before. Thank you for posting it. Really informative.

• Maarten wrote:
    Wow, I didn't expect to get so many reactions on my post in such a short time. Although I agree that the app is buggy and it's a shame that there is no manual or tutorials by the developer, I still believe the app has great potential.

Last night I had some fun creating loops in Electrify NXT and copy pasting them in my DAW
    of choice, Multitrackstudio. The drum sampler in NXT lets you program beats with 8 different (user) samples and create an effects chain with up to three effects per sample! This gives a lot of freedom when sculpting sounds, even if you don't use Electrify NXT to sequence your song. You can copy your clips to the general pasteboard form the main clip launching screen and paste them in your app of choice. Another thing I enjoy doing is to do an extreme timestrech to my clips by radically changing the BPM in Electrify NXT. When you copy paste the clips after this procedure, you can paste the stretched result (whoch has very good quality imho) in another app.

When the developer sorts out the bugs and would come up with a smoother way of adding and moving slice markers to a loop (please look at Samplr! Hint, hint), add an undo funtion to all the screens, this app would be pretty damn good. Well, thank you for all your views, complaints and suggestions.

The workflow you just described sounds like way more trouble than what Ableton can do in a minute or two. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Gjcyrus: you're correct, but I want to create music exclusively on my iPad. Considering this restraint, Electrify NXT isn't too bad.

• I haven't used Nxt for a little and never used the Arp feature much. Having tested it there does appear to be a problem. I can confirm however that it did use to work. I'm also getting an Audiobus error when I boot it.

In terms of workflow I found it fast to work with in comparison to anything else in iOS for doing the kind of loop manipulation that it's good for. If you set it up correctly with LoopyHD it was easy to loop other synths or resample Nxt straight into Loopy using Audiobus then copy and paste the loops back in for further manipulation. With the automation and loop mashing options it was fun and fast however there was a learning curve associated with mashing loops up successfully. Something like iMPC Pro has provided a very different way of achieving the same effect and the visual plus pad approach seems a lot easier for people to get their head around.