Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tips for drum machine that can actually sync with external midi sources?

edited October 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

I use (and love) DM1, and before that I used Funkbox. None of them work properly when it comes to accepting midi sync from external sources, however, which puts serious limits on their usefulness for me. Is there a similar drum machine (loads of classic drum machines, good, simple yet flexible interface) that anyone can actually recommend when it comes to midi sync? I'm thinking Ableton Live, mostly.

Comments

• I know that easy beats 3 is a great midi sync slave. I haven't tried it to a desktop DAW however. It syncs to Loopy HD no problem. It only comes with a couple of kits, but there are a lot that can be downloaded from the community or you can import your own.

• a workaround came to me a few days ago - but have not tried yet. But I thought I could try using StepPolyArp to send midi data to DM1 or any drum machine that accepts midi... SPA syncs very well with Loopy for me - so midi out from SPA to DM1, audio from DM1 into Loopy via AB. I'll try this someday soon.

• An app like midibus to send sync? Was watching this video yesterday using seekbeats to send clock to sector and effectrix in AB so should work Halftone but needs the multirouting.

• Interesting stuff, thanks guys. Maybe there's some workaround. Will check it out.

• I had good luck with funk box . Its got all the classic drum machines, and it stayed in synch with midi clock from my boss rc-50 looper. I too have had problems with drifting and clock with a lot of apps. Ielectribe was weird as it kinda worked with midi clock. IOS midi still has a ways to go for live use, unless you are sure the app will be perfect.

• If tweaky box works as intended than this app is the bees knees

• DrumJam, ElasticDrums, DrumPerfect and DifferentDrummer.

• May I suggest a single serving of either London, Bilbao or even Abu Dhabi within Korg Gadget?

Side Note: Gadget also likes Ableton as in it can export projects to it like the hardware electribe2 can which BTW works nicely as a dedicated hardware drum machine and can interface with your iPad via CCK.

• I sync everything to Loopy HD, even if I'm not actively using Loopy in my setup. Seems to work well if I load DM1 first, start a new project, then load Loopy HD (and also start a new project), choose your bpm with Loopy, and press play! Works every time for me...

• edited June 2015

Diode-108 has loads of classic drum machines from SamplesFromMars.com and Dubsounds.com (check out their websites)! Plus import your own samples, make your own kits, and even share them!

We have solid sync from external sources. We can accept sync from Loopy just fine, or MidiBus, Nord Beat (free), or from DAWs or hardware. Check our support page for a doc on MIDI sync. There's even a YouTube video on syncing with Cubasis (and other tutorial videos). You can even change the BPM on the fly (go ahead, go nuts) and Diode-108 will sync right up super fast.

And, what the heck? On sale for $3.99! No way!

• And it's pay day after all. Go ahead! Treat yourself and buy one for the Missus while you're over there...

• DrumJam syncs perfect.

• @Diode108 said:
    Diode-108 has loads of classic drum machines from SamplesFromMars.com and Dubsounds.com (check out their websites)! Plus import your own samples, make your own kits, and even share them!

We have solid sync from external sources. We can accept sync from Loopy just fine, or MidiBus, Nord Beat (free), or from DAWs or hardware. Check our support page for a doc on MIDI sync. There's even a YouTube video on syncing with Cubasis (and other tutorial videos). You can even change the BPM on the fly (go ahead, go nuts) and Diode-108 will sync right up super fast.

And, what the heck? On sale for $3.99! No way!

Really? Ok, right I'll buy it tonight then!

• edited June 2015

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Really? Ok, right I'll buy it tonight then!

@BiancaNeve turned the Diode Fan Club on to this one too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metronom-groovy-speed-rhythm/id971974768?mt=8

You can use it to change tempos in other apps.

• Yes, I bought metronom. It's cool. You can have it change the bpm up and down. I tested Diode with it. The original question was about control by an external source. We' used ProTools, a keyboard with MIDI clock, etc.

• @Diode108 said:
    The original question was about control by an external source.

Sorry, that was directed at @Matt_Fletcher_2000, cause it seems like that would totally be his kind of thing. Plus it works great with Diode!

• edited June 2015

@solador78 said:
    Sorry, that was directed at Matt_Fletcher_2000, cause it seems like that would totally be his kind of thing. Plus it works great with Diode!

Right, I understand. And it really does work great with Diode-108! Shows off how fast Diode-108 reacts to tempo changes. A lot of apps do averaging to try to calm the iPad MIDI sync storm, but Diode does something completely different.

• Thanks @solador78. Just purchased.